Gibson Brands Forums

My first Gibson: 1998 Les Paul Studio ( vs new one ?)

ultrataco

Hi.

So after playing an epiphone for 10+ years I finally got a real Gibson Les Paul (if you consider a Studio a "real LP"). It's a 1998 (I think) Studio. It's been resurfaced and has some SD pickups in it. I'm not sure which ones but they sound good. will check when I change strings. It feels and sounds way better than the epi and has confirmed that I am indeed a Les Paul guy. \:D/ It's now my favorite guitar (out of 6) [thumbup]

Anyway I love it so much that now I want a brand new one (not sure if that makes any sense but it's true :P ), with actual Gibson pickups (and sweet Gibson case of course). I like the SDs in mine and don't want to change them, and just would like a shiny unused brand spanking new Gibson Les Paul of my own. And then later maybe another used one with P90s... :-k

Are there major differences between a 1998 Studio and a new one? Like woods, construction, neck profile, etc.?

The only one I'm seriously considering right now is the Sweetwater exclusive Studio with Burst Buckers in Smokehouse Burst. I like the look, the pickups, and the price is manageable. My '98 is really nice but I would sure hope and assume a new one plays at least a bit better. It should, for the extra $1100 [scared].

I guess I just need to find a guitar shop somewhere with new Les Pauls to try out. I think a nearby Guitar Center is the only place. (I've never been there) But then I fear I will fall in love with a $2800 Standard and have to find some way to get it. [drool]

Anyway enough rambling, here are pics:

post-98652-046492700 1550352221_thumb.jpg

post-98652-039580500 1550359379_thumb.jpg

post-98652-085079300 1550359577_thumb.jpg

I hate to burst your bubble on one thing but I am just going to blurt it out. I do not think a brand new studio will play better than the 98 you just purchased. I think a guitar plays better after it is broken in and the wood and everything has settled down.

Now to have a les paul is awesome. Having 2 les pauls are even better. However, and this is just my opinion and you can do what you want to but, I personally would save and get a model above the studio. I understand about wanting a brand new guitar that no one else has ever played or put marks on. But really your gassing for another studio and you already have one. Why not get a new classic or traditional or maybe even a new SG standard if the money is a factor. This is just my opinion on what I would do if I were in your shoes.

I think your Studio looks the business. I like it more than 2019 finishes on offer at any price point.

However, personally I would check out other LPs to compare and take plenty of time over it. You might find you prefer yours. If that's the case you will probably make it your preferred guitar. So would you need another one really? Or, if you find another LP you prefer, then why not chop the Studio in for it?

If your Studio was mine I would change out the pickups for 57 Classics and call it job done! You can always buy a Gibson case if you want one.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a few Les Pauls at Guitar Center. They all badly needed setups but at least I learned I don't really care for the SlimTaper neck, which is what the new Studios (and other models) have.

So... I ordered these from Wildwood. Just got them in today. \:D/

These have the same neck profile as my '98 so they feel pretty good there, and the Wildwood setup is great. Of course they don't have that worn in, 20 years of play feel like the 98 but still nice.

The left one is a 2018 Classic Player Plus in Satin Ocean Blue with P90s.

The right one is a 2018 Signature Player Plus in Satin Wine Red with BursBucker Pros. The BBs sound pretty bright to me so I may change them for 57s but I'll give them time to grow on me (or not).

40288957033_18e7517415_z.jpg

• Upvote 4

I agree with what others said regarding how these guitars play even better over time. It gets a played in feel to them that is hard to beat. I haven't played a Studio as old as yours. I think the oldest one I've played I believe were a 2009 and a 2010 models and I think they were both Studios or the precursor to what's been dubbed Faded in the past few years. One thing I noticed compared with my 2017 Studio was the different neck profile. The profile being used in Studios these days is the slim-tapered carve, which is on the thinner side and reminiscent, albeit still different, of a '60s neck profile. The 2009 and 2010 necks felt a bit chunkier, but not in a bad way. I was actually surprised how comfortable I found those older thicker necks. I've always thought that I would default to preferring slimmer necks. However, I don't know if it's an age thing or it's just a natural evolution of my playing style, I've been liking chunkier necks more and more. With that said, I find the slim tapered necks just a joy to play. They are very comfortable and there is something about the geometry of the carve and the shoulders that makes those slim tapered super easy to play. Although, I'm rediscovering my neck carve preferences and I've started finding some necks too thin for my taste, that is not the case with those slim tapered necks. They are on the thinner side, but they do not feel too thin for my taste.

Edit: Also, I like SD pickups, but I love Gibson pickups. To my taste, one of the few pickup makers that to me can go head to head with Gibson pickups is Bare Knuckle. Not that I've tried every brand out, but among the ones I've tried and based on my personal taste, it's a toss up between Gibson and Bare Knuckle.

Edited by pauloqs

I agree with what others said regarding how these guitars play even better over time. It gets a played in feel to them that is hard to beat. I haven't played a Studio as old as yours. I think the oldest one I've played I believe were a 2009 and a 2010 models and I think they were both Studios or the precursor to what's been dubbed Faded in the past few years. One thing I noticed compared with my 2017 Studio was the different neck profile. The profile being used in Studios these days is the slim-tapered carve, which is on the thinner side and reminiscent, albeit still different, of a '60s neck profile. The 2009 and 2010 necks felt a bit chunkier, but not in a bad way. I was actually surprised how comfortable I found those older thicker necks. I've always thought that I would default to preferring slimmer necks. However, I don't know if it's an age thing or it's just a natural evolution of my playing style, I've been liking chunkier necks more and more. With that said, I find the slim tapered necks just a joy to play. They are very comfortable and there is something about the geometry of the carve and the shoulders that makes those slim tapered super easy to play. Although, I'm rediscovering my neck carve preferences and I've started finding some necks too thin for my taste, that is not the case with those slim tapered necks. They are on the thinner side, but they do not feel too thin for my taste.

Edit: Also, I like SD pickups, but I love Gibson pickups. To my taste, one of the few pickup makers that to me can go head to head with Gibson pickups is Bare Knuckle. Not that I've tried every brand out, but among the ones I've tried and based on my personal taste, it's a toss up between Gibson and Bare Knuckle.

Maybe it was the particular guitar I tried, but the slim taper neck felt wider than the rounded to me. It could also be the size/shape of my hand and/or how I hold the neck. I dunno. I just know now that I prefer the rounded C profile. :)

As far as pickups, I'm still not getting along with these BB Pros very well. I've been obsessively researching pickups for days. It's really hard to choose pickups without actually trying them. I was set on Gibson 57s but now I've pretty much decided on SD Pearly Gates. (I want an ES-339 later and from what I've read the 57 sound is more like what I want from a semi-hollow.)

Or I could just save some money and throw in the SD Jazz/JB combo I was going to sell. I had that combo for years in an epiphone LP though so it sounds/feels familiar. But I kinda wanted something a bit more classic rock for this LP.

Before I buy anything though, I'm going to go to guitar center again and try out different Gibson pickups.

...I'm starting to understand why people have like 15 of the same kind of guitar. So many options. :blink:

Maybe it was the particular guitar I tried, but the slim taper neck felt wider than the rounded to me. It could also be the size/shape of my hand and/or how I hold the neck. I dunno. I just know now that I prefer the rounded C profile. :)

As far as pickups, I'm still not getting along with these BB Pros very well. I've been obsessively researching pickups for days. It's really hard to choose pickups without actually trying them. I was set on Gibson 57s but now I've pretty much decided on SD Pearly Gates. (I want an ES-339 later and from what I've read the 57 sound is more like what I want from a semi-hollow.)

Or I could just save some money and throw in the SD Jazz/JB combo I was going to sell. I had that combo for years in an epiphone LP though so it sounds/feels familiar. But I kinda wanted something a bit more classic rock for this LP.

Before I buy anything though, I'm going to go to guitar center again and try out different Gibson pickups.

...I'm starting to understand why people have like 15 of the same kind of guitar. So many options. :blink:

I get the BB pro, but they aren't for everyone. They take gain really well and they cut through a band mix like a butter knife. They also have a tone of clarity. Personally, I much prefer the '57 Classic and '57 Classic +. Interestingly, my two guitars that came with BB pros have had pickup upgrades. One for the '57 Classic/'57 Classic + and the other with a pair of Bare Knuckles, The Mule (neck)/Riff Raff (bridge). My other guitars that came with 490/498 or '61 still have their stock pickups. BB 1, 2 and 3 are also pretty good, but I'm a bit hesitant about them because I believe they're unpotted.

Regarding the Slim Tapered neck guitar you've tried, was that a High Performance one? What year was it? The reason I ask is that there are different fretborad widths withing guitars with the slim-tapered neck carve. I know that the 2017 High Performance (HP) models had wider fretboards than the non-HP models. Not as wide as what you got across the 2015 lineup, but still noticeably a bit wider than regular non-HP models. Or are you saying wider more in a D neck shape instead of a C shape?

I get the BB pro, but they aren't for everyone. They take gain really well and they cut through a band mix like a butter knife. They also have a tone of clarity. Personally, I much prefer the '57 Classic and '57 Classic +. Interestingly, my two guitars that came with BB pros have had pickup upgrades. One for the '57 Classic/'57 Classic + and the other with a pair of Bare Knuckles, The Mule (neck)/Riff Raff (bridge). My other guitars that came with 490/498 or '61 still have their stock pickups. BB 1, 2 and 3 are also pretty good, but I'm a bit hesitant about them because I believe they're unpotted.

Regarding the Slim Tapered neck guitar you've tried, was that a High Performance one? What year was it? The reason I ask is that there are different fretborad widths withing guitars with the slim-tapered neck carve. I know that the 2017 High Performance (HP) models had wider fretboards than the non-HP models. Not as wide as what you got across the 2015 lineup, but still noticeably a bit wider than regular non-HP models. Or are you saying wider more in a D neck shape instead of a C shape?

Yeah I was thinking it would cut good in a live band or mix, but to me alone in my little (12x10) guitar room it can be shrill, thin and piercing, at least the high G, B, and E strings. ...I've just read some people saying the Pearly Gates are also really bright, close to the BB pros, so I'm undecided again. #-o

I kind of just want the 57s so I'd have Gibson pickups in my Gibson guitar (I may be a fanboi). I'm going to have to just go try some at GC.

The slim taper I tried was a 2018 Classic. Blue with P90s, very nice looking. It was in bad bad need of a setup so that didn't help. Not sure if it was the fretboard or the shape. I assumed the shape. I thought the fretboards were all the same.

Yeah I was thinking it would cut good in a live band or mix, but to me alone in my little (12x10) guitar room it can be shrill, thin and piercing, at least the high G, B, and E strings. ...I've just read some people saying the Pearly Gates are also really bright, close to the BB pros, so I'm undecided again. #-o

I kind of just want the 57s so I'd have Gibson pickups in my Gibson guitar (I may be a fanboi). I'm going to have to just go try some at GC.

The slim taper I tried was a 2018 Classic. Blue with P90s, very nice looking. It was in bad bad need of a setup so that didn't help. Not sure if it was the fretboard or the shape. I assumed the shape. I thought the fretboards were all the same.

The 57s are real nice pickups and I think you’ll dig them if you give them a shot. I have a set as well at the 490/498 in another and I personally like the 57s a little more for whatever reason. Never messed with BBs but I’m sure I will one day. I think you have the right idea though to try some out at the store. Just a side note question... have you tried adjusting pickup height to see if you can improve the sound a little? May help so you don’t have to swap pickups in a new guitar... But if you’re convinced that the pickups aren’t your thing disregard my suggestion. Good luck!

I tried a few Les Pauls at Guitar Center. They all badly needed setups but at least I learned I don't really care for the SlimTaper neck, which is what the new Studios (and other models) have.

So... I ordered these from Wildwood. Just got them in today. \:D/

These have the same neck profile as my '98 so they feel pretty good there, and the Wildwood setup is great. Of course they don't have that worn in, 20 years of play feel like the 98 but still nice.

The left one is a 2018 Classic Player Plus in Satin Ocean Blue with P90s.

The right one is a 2018 Signature Player Plus in Satin Wine Red with BursBucker Pros. The BBs sound pretty bright to me so I may change them for 57s but I'll give them time to grow on me (or not).

40288957033_18e7517415_z.jpg

Man those are some very nice looking les pauls!! I like the blue one. Are you gonna keep both?

The 57s are real nice pickups and I think you’ll dig them if you give them a shot. I have a set as well at the 490/498 in another and I personally like the 57s a little more for whatever reason. Never messed with BBs but I’m sure I will one day. I think you have the right idea though to try some out at the store. Just a side note question... have you tried adjusting pickup height to see if you can improve the sound a little? May help so you don’t have to swap pickups in a new guitar... But if you’re convinced that the pickups aren’t your thing disregard my suggestion. Good luck!

Thanks. I did mess with the height a little. I may try again but I really don't think that'll do what I want.

Man those are some very nice looking les pauls!! I like the blue one. Are you gonna keep both?

Thanks. yep I'm keeping both. [thumbup] I wanted a p90 one and a "normal" humbucker one. I too really like the blue, though I haven't been playing it much because I've been messing with the red one. But I love the p90s and the satin ocean blue.

I'm putting EMGs ( [scared] ) and black hardware on the Studio (and maybe some custom vinyl graphics) to make it my metal Les Paul. So I'll have a p90 one, a metal one, and a classic humbucker one.

Ideally I'd love a fourth one with a more traditional burst finish to be my "classic" PAF style one. Then I'd then put some hot passive pickups in the red one so it would be like a hard rock LP between the PAFs and EMGs. But I won't be in the market for another LP for a while. :)

Edited by ultrataco

Thanks. yep I'm keeping both. [thumbup] I wanted a p90 one and a "normal" humbucker one. I too really like the blue, though I haven't been playing it much because I've been messing with the red one. But I love the p90s and the satin ocean blue.

I'm putting EMGs ( [scared] ) and black hardware on the Studio (and maybe some custom vinyl graphics) to make it my metal Les Paul. So I'll have a p90 one, a metal one, and a classic humbucker one.

Ideally I'd love a fourth one with a more traditional burst finish to be my "classic" PAF style one. Then I'd then put some hot passive pickups in the red one so it would be like a hard rock LP between the PAFs and EMGs. But I won't be in the market for another LP for a while. :)

I like your ideas man! Can't wait to check out your metal Studio... Pics please msp_biggrin.gif

And regarding not being in the market for another LP for a while... Well, I've heard that and said that to myself before. GAS is a diesase that can only be treated with more GAS, haha! Just messing around msp_biggrin.gif BTW, like your new guitars a lot. Congratulations and many years of enjoyment!

• 2 months later...

I've been busy. 🙂 I've done some stuff to the 98 Studio and a bit to the red 2018. (The blue P90 one is still stock, no intentions to modify.)

On the the red one :

• swapped the BB Pro A5 magnets with A2 which I like much better. (I guess that basically makes them BB 1 and 2 ?)
  • added nickel pickup covers, bridge, and tailpiece, all of which I brushed myself with a scotchbrite pad (don't worry they weren't expensive Gibson parts 🙂 ).

On the studio:

• Custom paint job (stain actually)  designed by me and done with help+advice of an airbrush artist friend. Not perfect but I think turned out pretty well for a first try.
  • ink-stained fretboard (would have worked better without frets. If I ever get it refretted, I'll redo this)
  • EMG Het set, brushed black chrome
  • black bridge (Gotoh) and tailpiece (don't remember the brand. it was on sale for $5 - yes five - on stewmac)
  • black Gotoh locking tuners
  • 10-52 strings for occasional drop-d fun. 🙂
  • ebony-looking truss rod cover

32932468467_98e0cf798a_c.jpg

46960429945_c49989eb5d_c.jpg

47876713431_806c09d3d5_c.jpg

46960429285_06f1863a24_c.jpg

33999456498_969782547b_c.jpg

46960430105_587e676be7_c.jpg

• Upvote 1

I recently spent several hours with a Classic Player plus with P90s. I have to say, those Classic player plus are highly addicting. What a fantastic guitar!!! OP, I really like your choice of pickups to replace the BB pros. I recently got a Standard 50s that have the BB 1&2 combo and they amaze me every time I plug them in. The creaminess and definition on those pickups are extremely pleasing. 

• Like 1