Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Les Paul Studio Tribute Wring

#1 User is offline   voidSurfr 

• Group: All Access

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:38 PM

Hey guys, looking for a sanity check...

I played many hours every day - 20 years ago - then sold the rig when the kids came.

My girlfriend just got me a Les Paul Studio Tribute (2019) for xmas. Referring only to the toggle switch in the middle position, I can't seem to blend the neck/bridge pickups in the way I remember it working.

Have I gone mad or has some fundamental design been changed?

Examples:

• with the upper volume knob all the way down and the lower volume knob all the way up makes no sound.
  • with the upper volume knob at 50%, adjusting the lower volume knob does influence the sound.

If someone can explain how to make the best of this the please do. Bonus for any technical details regarding any further wiring unforeseens.

I'm simply getting back in and need to understand so I can make better selection decisions.

PS: I've already seen the rants on YouTube regarding the PCB; I get what that must mean in cost-savings for Gibson. However, I just want to blend the pickups.

Thanks in advance

#2 User is offline   brad1 

• Resident Tin Whacker
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:56 PM

View PostvoidSurfr, on 18 February 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

Hey guys, looking for a sanity check...

I played many hours every day - 20 years ago - then sold the rig when the kids came.

My girlfriend just got me a Les Paul Studio Tribute (2019) for xmas. Referring only to the toggle switch in the middle position, I can't seem to blend the neck/bridge pickups in the way I remember it working.

Have I gone mad or has some fundamental design been changed?

Examples:

• with the upper volume knob all the way down and the lower volume knob all the way up makes no sound.
  • with the upper volume knob at 50%, adjusting the lower volume knob does influence the sound.

[biggrin]

If someone can explain how to make the best of this the please do. Bonus for any technical details regarding any further wiring unforeseens.

I'm simply getting back in and need to understand so I can make better selection decisions.

PS: I've already seen the rants on YouTube regarding the PCB; I get what that must mean in cost-savings for Gibson. However, I just want to blend the pickups.

Thanks in advance

That's the way it's supposed to work. And it was that way 20 years ago as well.
You can blend them. You just cant turn one volume all the way down. [biggrin]
Life's Distractions/Pleasures:
Guitars: 2006 Epiphone Ebony G400, 1997 Epiphone Cherry SG Junior, 2007 Epiphone Cherry Dot, 1996 Fender Black MIM Traditional Stratocaster, 2008 VM Squier Olympic White SSH Telecaster, 2011 Jackson Gun Metal Gray JS32R Dinky (FR), 2014 Gibson Fireburst Satin SGJ, 2014 Epiphone Wildkat, 2015 Xaviere XV-500 Trans. Green, 2015 Red Flamed G&L Ascari GTS, 2016 Lake Placid Blue Fender Standard Telecaster, 2016 Gibson T LP Studio Faded Fireburst,2017 Fender Standard Plus Top HSS Tobacco Burst, 2018 Hamer Special Jr. Natural, 1985 George Washburn Dreadnought, 2014 Washburn WD10 SCE Acoustic/Electric, 2005 Ibanez Trans-Blue Burst GSR200 FM Bass
Amps:
VOX AD30VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Orange Micro Terror, Peavey ValveKing II MicroHead , Quilter Toneblock 200, Hughes & Kettner Tubmeister 18 Head, ENGL Gig Master 15 watt head, Bugera Infinium V22,Marshall Code 25, Acoustic B15 Bass Combo, Acoustic B100 Bass Combo, Cabs: Bugera 112TS, Peavey 112, Hughs & Kettner TM110, Orange PPC108

Drums: 1976 Ludwig 5 Piece Butcher Block, 2015 Roland TD- 1KV, Remo 12-inch Djembe, bongos, maracas, and a multitude of other percussion instruments.

#3 User is offline   sparquelito 

• Tourette's Syndrome Sufferer
  • LocationNorthern Alabama

Posted 18 February 2019 - 04:41 PM

View Postbrad1, on 18 February 2019 - 02:56 PM, said:

That's the way it's supposed to work. And it was that way 20 years ago as well.
You can blend them. You just cant turn one volume all the way down. [biggrin]

You just made me go back to the music room and check out how my Les Paul works.

Yeah, it's the same.
:-" [crying]
Am I alone in this?

Am I alone?

#4 User is online   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 18 February 2019 - 04:48 PM

In the middle position I find it works best to turn the bridge volume down to like 7, neck pickup on 9 and then turn the neck pickup tone down to 7 or 8 too...

Heres a good refresher :)

This post has been edited by Rabs: 18 February 2019 - 04:52 PM

"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users