Gibson Brands Forums

When Gibson USA build an Epi ... ;-)

Revolution Six

You don't just have to Google for images you know, it can provide you with valuable information also. Look at the thread I've commented on to educate you, you will learn something.

you're wasting your breath brother, just ignore this one..

In 1993, Gibson reissued a limited run of 250 Rivieras and Sheratons which were built in their Nashville plant. According to Gibson historian Walter Carter, no more were made after the initial run because they were too costly to produce compared to the ES-3XX models the Nashville plant normally built.

Red 333

In 1993, Gibson reissued a limited run of 250 vintage-spec Rivieras and Sheratons which were built in their Nashville plant. According to Gibson historian Walter Carter, no more were made after the initial run because they were too costly to produce compared to the ES-3XX models the Nashville plant normally built.

Red 333

I know, the picture rev6 used isn't of one of those, it's an assembled in USA, Ive followed the owner on Instagram for quite a while, he has more pictures and he says it is an assembled in USA.

I know, the picture rev6 used isn't of one of those, it's an assembled in USA, Ive followed the owner on Instagram for quite a while, he has more pictures and he says it is an assembled in USA.

I see your point. I was just providing info on the catalog pages.

Yes, Rev's pictures seem to be a Terada-made Sheraton of some kind. Their inlays sometimes continue all the way down the fretboard, especially those made for the Japanese market (I've never seen that on a AIUSA model, but I've never seen every AIUSA model, so...). The inlays on the Nashville made Sheraton stop at the 15th fret, which is typical for a Sheraton.

The Nashville-built Sheratons also didn't have a reproduction blue label, as I recall. The guitar in the picture Rev appropriated does. Various Terada reissues have either repro or specialty blue labels {like ones that Hooker signed, with his image on them).

That also looks like the tree of life headstock inlay Terada commonly uses. The flowers have black centers; the ones on the Gibson made 1993 Sheraton are solid with a black outline.

The truss rod cover is also the two-hole style commonly used by Terada. It has a circular cut out at the tip. The truss rod covers on the Nashville made Sheratons were the bullet style (pointed).

Very nice looking and very intriging guitar. I'd like to know its full history. That fretboard is mighty interesting. If it's a mistake, it's lovely.

Red 333

This sheration was made 100% in USA, IT WAS A SHORT RUN;

Rev6, your information is not accurate.

The 1993 Nashville-built Epiphone Sheraton has significantly narrower F-holes, with white binding. In this respect in particular, it is a less accurate recreation of a Kalamazoo-built Sheraton when compared to the Terada-Japan body. Also not previously mentioned is that the headstock logo font on the Nashville-made version is different from that of the guitar in your photos.

Aside from the three additional fretboard inlays (see below), the instrument you have pictured is wholly consistent with the end of the production run for the Terada-Japan built JLH 1964 Sheraton. If you look closely, you will see a white portion attached to the blue label inside the F-hole. This white label carried an altered serial number, as the last batch of these instruments were sold at a huge discount by Musician's Friend. The blank truss rod cover was also common to this final group of instruments.

Now regarding those three additional inlays on the fretboard, I highly suspect they were added at a later date, and might even simply be stickers. Note that in the middle photo, the last two inlays in particular are significantly larger than in the other views, so apparently someone was engaged in a bit of experimentation.

Threads like this one are important in getting accurate information into the hands of potential buyers. The JLH 1964 Sheraton is a model I've tracked for quite some time. It is a stellar and unique instrument, but unfortunately, it gets misrepresented on a regular basis.

I see your point. I was just providing info on the catalog pages.

Yes, Rev's pictures seem to be a Terada-made Sheraton of some kind. Their inlays sometimes continue all the way down the fretboard, especially those made for the Japanese market (I've never seen that on a AIUSA model, but I've never seen every AIUSA model, so...). The inlays on the Nashville made Sheraton stop at the 15th fret, which is typical for a Sheraton.

The Nashville-built Sheratons also didn't have a reproduction blue label, as I recall. The guitar in the picture Rev appropriated does. Various Terada reissues have either repro or specialty blue labels {like ones that Hooker signed, with his image on them).

That also looks like the tree of life headstock inlay Terada commonly uses. The flowers have black centers; the ones on the Gibson made 1993 Sheraton are solid with a black outline.

The truss rod cover is also the two-hole style commonly used by Terada. It has a circular cut out at the tip. The truss rod covers on the Nashville made Sheratons were the bullet style (pointed).

Very nice looking and very intriging guitar. I'd like to know its full history. That fretboard is mighty interesting. If it's a mistake, it's lovely.

Red 333

The owner states he has had the extra inlays added, it's a replica of the one used by Noel Gallagher in around 98 which i believe was one of the USA made which he also had extra inlays added.

The owner states he has had the extra inlays added, it's a replica of the one used by Noel Gallagher in around 98 which i believe was one of the USA made which he also had extra inlays added.

Ahh. That makes sense. The Union Jack Sheratons have these. Thanks Matt.

Red 333

Nice to get the conclusive answer on those inlays!

@bobouz and red 333, thanks for some actual information on the subject. Seems to be a little rare these days.

Why thank you, tweed. Too many photoflame posts lately, yes, I agree. But sometimes, they're the only threads alive on this board, lol, so I watch with half bemusement. And half simmering intolerance.

Red 333

Archived