Gibson Brands Forums

Hello Gibsonland - new from the UK

SouthpawMark

Evening all.

I recently decided to give up playing a sport, and it has freed up quite a bit of time. I have decided to take up the guitar. The jury is still out on whether I’m going through a midlife crisis (my wife thinks so) but it’s something I’ve always wanted to do.

Anyway, yesterday was the day to go and buy some stuff. I ended up buying two guitars (a 2018 Les Paul Standard in Cobalt Burst, and a 2018 SG HP in Blood Orange... I couldn’t choose), an amp (Boss Katana Air, which went back earlier today, and replaced with a Fender Bassbreaker 30R), and a Line 6 Helix FX unit. I have no idea how to play the guitar, but I figure making a relatively sizeable initial investment will focus the mind. I’ve found a guitar tutor, and my first lesson is next week.

I’m looking forward to seeing what this community has to offer:

Mark

Welcome aboard. Looks like you bought some nice gear. I too didn't start seriously playing until mid-life, but was also fortunate to be in a place where I could afford quality gear at the time and over the years since then. It has certainly help keep my motivational level up.

Good luck in your journey.

Welcome to the club! msp_thumbup.gif

Very nice gear you picked up to start with. Curious to see which guitar you favor more after you spend some time with them. I'm an SG guy, but have both.

The thing about guitar, is you will enjoy it for the rest of your life. Just stick with it, and PRACTICE a little everyday! (bet you've heard that a time or two, lol)

Good luck and have fun! :)

Welcome to the forum and to the excellent world of playing guitar. [and a LEFTY no less! or did those photos get spun around?]

Better late then never. I started when I was kid, got my first guitar at the age of 8, that was back in 1965...

Still play every day, pretty certain I would not remain sane without music in my life.

One thing for sure, you pretty much went ALL IN on your purchases. Well done! I'd have a hard time deciding which one to play too. So, play both of them.. A LOT!

Good move on a teacher. Be patient, the first few hills are the hardest.

Welcome to the forum and to the excellent world of playing guitar. [and a LEFTY no less! or did those photos get spun around?]

Better late then never. I started when I was kid, got my first guitar at the age of 8, that was back in 1965...

Still play every day, pretty certain I would not remain sane without music in my life.

One thing for sure, you pretty much went ALL IN on your purchases. Well done! I'd have a hard time deciding which one to play too. So, play both of them.. A LOT!

Good move on a teacher. Be patient, the first few hills are the hardest.

Hi Kidblast. No pic spinning - lefty and proud! (I was lefty and frustrated though when i decided to buy a guitar, as NO-ONE seems to stock anything decent, apart from one shop down on the south coast of England, where I got both of them from). It was a 5 hour round trip, but very much worth the effort.

Going all in is the best way!

Patience really isn’t my strong point, but I’m determined to stick with it. I’m currently learning some basic chords through the Fender video app, and I’m finding it quite satisfying so far.

Welcome,

Sweet couple guitars Sir!

You are now amongst some really knowledged people here, and for the most part you are in a great place to be if you need advise or just want to shoot the s#!+ about what your having for dinner or if you like pick guards on Les Pauls.

Just like EVERY other forum you will need to deal with endless friendly banter between the members but is usually all good and is quite entertaining.

You will need to deal with replies that offer absolutely help to your possible posted question, again its all good and a lot of the time great information anyway.

You will have to deal with some Gibson haters that will tell you any Gibson are crap or any made after December 1999 and should taken out to pasture and put down, and you will have the members that say differant.

You will see great pix of all types of guitars and read great stories.

You will come to Find that this Lady "Mary" ( Pip ) really knows her s#!+ LOL

Most importantly tho and i cant express how frickin cool it is, You may get an offer from this dude Anna for a good time, don't worry we all did, but remember He-She is MINE!

This is a safe place for Gibson players to go and converse.

Good Luck on your Journey and PLEASE communicate any of your achievements or anything you want to share.

Cheers

Shaun

Hi Kidblast. No pic spinning - lefty and proud! (I was lefty and frustrated though when i decided to buy a guitar, as NO-ONE seems to stock anything decent, apart from one shop down on the south coast of England, where I got both of them from). It was a 5 hour round trip, but very much worth the effort.

Patience really isn’t my strong point, but I’m determined to stick with it. I’m currently learning some basic chords through the Fender video app, and I’m finding it quite satisfying so far.

I only now picked up on "Southpaw" in your handle (DOH!)

I got serious about piano back in like 2005. I jumped in the deep end, there were some frustrating times. Getting hand independence was the first hurdle, it reminded me just how tricky learning to play an instrument can be. I used to comment to my teacher as we'd go along, "I'll never get this".... after about 2 months of me doing that he said "ya but funny thing is, you always DO get it...."

I learned I had patience I never really knew I had. I did have a jump start, I knew how to do things that people who don't plan don't. (basically HOW to learn to play something. There IS an approach to it) anyway, Enjoy the time and good luck with the journey, play with people as much as you can and don't be shy about asking questions, we've ALL been there.

1550748096[/url]' post='1978777']

Thanks for the welcome. I've attached a pic of the guitars. Can't decide which one I like best yet!

2ytw7q0.jpg

I downloaded the Fender Play app a couple of days ago, and it seems to be a pretty good thing to play with until my proper lessons start.

Very NICE! msp_razz.gif

Thanks for the welcome. I’ve attached a pic of the guitars. Can’t decide which one I like best yet!

2ytw7q0.jpg

I downloaded the Fender Play app a couple of days ago, and it seems to be a pretty good thing to play with until my proper lessons start.

No Pickup Rings on the SG [confused] sombody please splain dis to me! :-k

Southpaw,

Welcome to the awesome world of guitar! If you are really starting from scratch, a real live tutor is a great thing to have. You may have also heard about that internet thingy. It can be a excellent supplement to your lessons. There are many good teachers with web sites and on YouTube. Spend some time with Justin Sandercoe at justinguitar.com. You won't regret it.

Enjoy,

Late Bloomer

Southpaw,

Welcome to the awesome world of guitar! If you are really starting from scratch, a real live tutor is a great thing to have. You may have also heard about that internet thingy. It can be a excellent supplement to your lessons. There are many good teachers with web sites and on YouTube. Spend some time with Justin Sandercoe at justinguitar.com. You won't regret it.

Enjoy,

Late Bloomer

Hi Late Bloomer. Thanks very much for the positive message. I think I have already stumbled across a few of his videos on YouTube... seems very knowledgeable, and the comments appear to be predominantly positive, which is a real rarity for that place!

Patience really isn't my strong point, but I'm determined to stick with it. I'm currently learning some basic chords through the Fender video app, and I'm finding it quite satisfying so far.

Welcome to the forum Mark.msp_thumbup.gif Congratulations on your 2 purchases. You certainly did go all out. I would have a tough decision which one to learn on also so enjoy both. rolleyes.gif

I'm betting patience will become your strong point as you learn because it will pay off. Like some have already said, Practice and practice a lot. When I first started I played about 6 hours a day. One song I thought I would never get and took me months on end was, "Stairway To Heaven." I've never been a finger picker but it did come. Best of luck and do your lessons, Those are great guitars you chose.

• 2 weeks later...

So I’ve had the guitars for 3 weeks, and had two lessons. It’s going surprisingly OK! Switching between chords quickly is tricky, but I guess it will come in time. I’ve learned Sunshine of your love and Misrlou so far, and bits and pieces of a few other songs. The thing I really want to nail quickly is string muting.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived