• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New J45 Standard Sound Question

#21 User is offline   Leonard McCoy 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:45 PM

This could be a technical issue as well. Damaged strings or binding at the nut.
2018 Gibson J-180 (Everly)
2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony
2004 Fender 50th Anniversary American Deluxe Stratocaster
2002 Gibson "Goldtone" GA-15RV
1990 Ovation Legend L717 (A-bracing)

Finely transcribed Cat Stevens Guitar Tabs (fan project)

"Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history
was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."—Jol Dantzig, founder of Hamer Guitars

#22 User is offline   MissouriPicker 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndependence, Missouri

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:36 PM

If a guitar can't be fixed or adjusted in a simple way, I'm typically out-of-luck. That said----I'd definitely try the suggestions about using heavier strings. Extra Lights (to my ears) have a very thin and tinny sound. Of course, guitars vary on sound, but that's how I tend to hear extra lights. Try some lights. More tension may solve the problem. If lights don't solve the issue, try some mediums.-----------Just my opinion and that doesn't make me right and someone else wrong, but I don't think extra lights "do justice" to a J45........I hope you get the issue solved and really start enjoying what is likely a super guitar. [thumbup] [thumbup]
YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.c...er?feature=mhee
http://www.reverbnat...om/larrygarrett

Gibsons J45TV, Hummingbird, Dove, Southern Jumbo Mystic, Advanced Jumbo Rosewood
Advanced Jumbo Koa, J100 Walnut
Alvarez MFA66CE Masterworks OM/Folk
Martin X Series 2016 D12X1AE Dreadnought 12-String
Regal 1944 Parlor Guitar
LAG Nylon Stringed
Oahu 1941 Squareneck Parlor Guitar
Yamaha YPG-535MM Keyboard
and a herd of ukes, banjos, strumsticks, harmonicas and dulcimers,
making me a "jack of all trades and master of none."

#23 User is offline   Justbluefish 

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:14 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Today I tried putting on some heavier strings. I installed some D'addario EJ16 12 gauge strings. The guitar does sound better, but it's not perfect. I'm still getting that werid metallic resonant sound. I would describe it almost like a Sitar kind of overtone. I did notice that when I don't play any open strings, as in the case of an F Barre Chord, it sounds fine. Perhaps there is something wrong with the nut? Has anyone experienced what I'm talking about before?

Thanks

#24 User is offline   billroy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:17 AM

View PostJustbluefish, on 21 February 2019 - 02:14 AM, said:

Today I tried putting on some heavier strings. I installed some D'addario EJ16 12 gauge strings. The guitar does sound better, but it's not perfect. I'm still getting that werid metallic resonant sound.
Thanks

To me, new strings have that weird metallic sound until you play it out of them over a couple days...
'18 Gibson J45, vintage
'86 Guild D25
'00 Fender Strat (American Standard)
'90 Fender Strat (Korea, bought in an open market in Korea... yeah it might be real)
'68 Gibson SG
'17 Several 3 String CBGs

"Want people to listen to your stuff, don't play boring stuff..." heard somewhere.

#25 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:43 AM

Its hard to tell from a forum conversation
But you might do well to check the tuning posts and pegs for loose screws
Perhaps truss rod cover screws
And the end pin Jack socket if there's a pickup in the guitar
Lots have had a vibration from a loose nut on the inside of the fitting
You'll need skinny arms

Initially I thought you didn't like the sound of the guitar but your sitar like comment made me think it may be something buzzing somewhere and resonating

#26 User is offline   rustystrings 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationGreenwood SC

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:13 AM

Have you played this guitar with a capo yet? Try it on the first fret to start with. Your J-45 would not be the first one sold with nut issues - mine had nut slots so shallow the guitar went out of tune when you played it. You might have the opposite issue, a nut with slots cut just a whisker too low and allowing the strings to rasp on the first fret.
2005 Gibson J-45 Historic Collection
2012 Kremona Fiesta FS
2010? Seagull S6 Original
1950? Favilla U2 soprano

#27 User is offline   QuestionMark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:47 AM

As the guitar is still just new, I suggest calling your Sweetwater rep and seeing what he suggests. A buzzing string can be a number of things, including a very very minor tightening of the truss rod (one of the reasons the truss rod is there to be able to put a slight bend to the neck so there is no fret buzz at the first few frets of the guitar), the saddle is slightly too low, the nut is slightly too high in relation to the saddle, the nut slot on a string has a burr in it, the tuning button could be buzzing, a tuner’s washer could be buzzing...a number of minor things that just might need a slight set up adjustment.

I suggest calling Sweetwater since the guitar is brand new and see what they say.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

#28 User is offline   Mafy31 

• Advanced Member

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:49 PM

View PostJustbluefish, on 21 February 2019 - 02:14 AM, said:

Today I tried putting on some heavier strings. I installed some D'addario EJ16 12 gauge strings. The guitar does sound better, but it's not perfect. I'm still getting that werid metallic resonant sound. I would describe it almost like a Sitar kind of overtone. I did notice that when I don't play any open strings, as in the case of an F Barre Chord, it sounds fine. Perhaps there is something wrong with the nut? Has anyone experienced what I'm talking about before?

Thanks

Do you have a piezzo on it ?
Maybe check the jack/plug input thing. You can unscrew it, there is 2 washers, one of them is not necessary and often causes this "buzz" thing.
Long time ago i thought my guitar had an issue with the nut or saddle, but finally it was one of these washers and removing one of them solved the problem on my hummingbird.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users