Gibson Brands Forums

Bats in Flight

JuanCarlosVejar

Somebody had a sense of humor when they ordered that one. Note that the nut width is basically 1 9/16", which is the narrowest Gibson ever did.

It does seem like an acoustic that some heavy-metal rocker might have ordered.

I love the "Bats in Flight" nomenclature. Makes you sit up and pay attention.

The Richlite kills it for me ( I’m not too fond of actual ebony anyway)

If it was offered with Rosewood board and bridge ... I’d order one.

JC

JC, given the way you've worn out the fretboard on your J-200 after a few years of playing, ebony or richlite might be a good solution for you.

Gibson really needs to stop the Richlite on these uber expensive models. I understand they probably had to due to the raid. But it looks like ebony is going to be put on Custom Electrics. I thought Taylor Guitars has the free worlds supply of ebony locked down.

Agreed.

Looks real nice. Doves are awesome guitars and this is undoubtedly a high quality guitar. But, "Bats in Flight"? How about eagles, or Hawks, or Swallows, or Condors? Maybe even penguins....lol.....I like the color/burst, but who came-up with the bats? For me it's more fitting for a Daisy guitar.....Anyways, nice guitar for sure, but if I were buying an "in flight" model, it wouldn't have bats on it.

d

Really? Not that a trumpet wouldn't make a great Dove, but The bridge inlays on the MF guitar actually work better with the pickguard than the white cartoon ghost blobs on the standard dove bridge:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-bats-in-flight-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar#youTubeVideo

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-bats-in-flight-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar

TYo24nA.png?1

6fAmTub.png?1

uKaArAN.png

JC, given the way you've worn out the fretboard on your J-200 after a few years of playing, ebony or richlite might be a good solution for you.

Nick,

I appreciate the thought but I prefer rosewood even if I wear it doown faster.I’m not afraid to play it honestly.

Both Richlite and Ebony feel a bit stiff for my taste.

JC

Folks,

Check out this play on the Doves in Flight:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-bats-in-flight-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar

The Richlite kills it for me ( I’m not too fond of actual ebony anyway)

If it was offered with Rosewood board and bridge ... I’d order one.

JC

I agree with you on the richlite. This may be a stupid comment but isn't there another suitable kind of wood that they can use (that's still legal) instead of the synthetic material?

It looks beautiful...I genuinely love the look.

It sounds thin as hell on the demo video though, absolutely no mid or bottom end projection. The tone reminded me of an unplugged ES330.

Nothing like the thunder and sparkle of my Maple AJ, the broad-band track filling tone of my SJ200 or the warm, thrummy character of my J180...very disappointing for a Maple guitar to sound like the BIF.

It looks beautiful...I genuinely love the look.

It sounds thin as hell on the demo video though, absolutely no mid or bottom end projection. The tone reminded me of an unplugged ES330.

Nothing like the thunder and sparkle of my Maple AJ, the broad-band track filling tone of my SJ200 or the warm, thrummy character of my J180...very disappointing for a Maple guitar to sound like the BIF.

I’m sure it’s the way they recorded it.

Some of the MF recordings are awesome and others aren’t.

They are inconsistent.

I have often wondered the same question as you.

Couldn’t they use Coffee Wood like in the 1930’s ????

JC

Archived