Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt AJ-45 pickguard question

LuckyDan

I just ordered an open box AJ-45 from MF. I have owned and enjoyed my EF-500RAVS for many years now and am looking forward to adding another Masterbilt to the stable.

One thing I just noticed tonight, though, as I scour the net reading reviews and chit chat about the AJ, is that the pick guard on most photos I'm finding covers the rosette on the lower portion. I saw one photo on Sweetwater though that shows the entire rosette. Looks much smarter that way. I'm hoping mine will look like that.

Did Epi change the size and shape of the guard at some point?

Another question. I would actually prefer to have no pickguard at all on either the EF or the AJ. Has anyone any experience in removing them? If I could be sure the result would be an even finish with no tan-lines apparent, I'd like to pull them off.

...I have owned and enjoyed my EF-500RAVS for many years....

I can't help with your questions, but you are indeed a lucky man to have that RAVS! They're pretty rare these days. I've had several EF500 Masterbilts, and the RAVS was the last to go.... to fund other guitars, of course. Great little guitar!

I can't help with your questions, but you are indeed a lucky man to have that RAVS! They're pretty rare these days. I've had several EF500 Masterbilts, and the RAVS was the last to go.... to fund other guitars, of course. Great little guitar!

Hi, Cougar and thanks for the kind words on my favorite guitar. I remember posting about it on the old Epiphone boards the day it arrived. It came with a hefty price tag - the most expensive of all the Masterbilts I believe. I said, "In a few years I probably won't mind that I paid a little extra, but right now I'm feeling like a went a little nuts." Time has proven me correct. It's a prize, and it's tone has aged beautifully.

I like it for fingerstyle, or strumming without a pick - it just sings best without a plectrum. I have been wanting to add the AJ for a while so that I can have a nice strummer to go with it. I've played enough of them at GC to know I won't be disappointed.

Of course, the AJ will be an open box so I will be looking for any signs of abuse or poor assembly when it arrives. Assuming none, and no matter the pickguard/rosette appearance, it will be a keeper.

After further research, I can answer my own question. I can use a hair dryer to heat the top of the pickguard sufficiently, and gently scrape from beneath with a painter's palette knife. And yes I can expect some tan lines. Will probably just leave it all alone. I bought these babies to play not to look at, right?

Edited by LuckyDan

My open box AJ has arrove. The pickguard covers only the thin outer rings of the rosette, and leaves the thicker center ring entirely visible. I see no scratches, no signs of any play wear at all, in fact. Serial number indicates it was made in July 2016.

My guess is previous buyers returned it because of the very obviously mismatched top woods. I've snapped a couple of photos with my tablet camera, but the mismatch isn't as obvious in photos as it is to the eye looking straight-on. I can certainly live with it.

Action is too low for me, and I believe that accounts for a thinner tone than I want. I know this instrument is capable of a fuller tone.

I'm not good at guessing string gauge but I suspect the set on it now is way light. I will replace with a set of Martin MA550 (13-56) and see if that doesn't solve both the low action issue and the girly-man voicing. I'm looking for a full-throated, bassy sound, like on "My Sweet Lord." It's in there, I'm sure.

This will probably be my last guitar, unless I come into a pile of money. I'm happy.

Edited by LuckyDan

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my AJ-45 ME a little over a year now, it really improves with playing.

It really opened up by the first string change. But continues to improve almost weekly.

The looks of the guitar has grown on me including the pick guard.

I would like to hear what you think of it in a month or two.

• Like 1

I've had my AJ-45 for a few months now, and it also arrived with the action set very low. It was about half the height of factory recommended settings. Great for fingerstyle, but sounded "jangly" when strummed even lightly. Replaced the saddle with a Tusq saddle (GraphTech PQ-9272-CO - requires some sanding) and set the action to the factory recommended specs. Sounds much better now. More volume, bass and generally cleaner. As for the pickguard, I read that they changed it beginning in 2016 so that it would not cover up so much of the rosette.

• 7 months later...

I'll soon be coming up on two years of ownership of my AJ-45ME.

Action was perfect out the door and I have yet to touch it.  I play it everywhere I go, we do a bit of gigging and it just seems to work everywhere.

It continues to get better and better sounding.  Very easy to sing with, lots of complements on tone.

The pickguard is smaller now... just slightly, and fits better than previous ones. I own a 2015 Masterbilt aj-45. It has improves with age, and is a very nice playing and sounding guitar..all wood...bone nut and saddle. It is the perfect compliment to my 2013 Gibson J-45. I love mine, and will never get rid of it. I polished the top and headstock to a gloss finish, and replaced the pickguard with a j-50 batwind style pickguard, resized and installed whiteball ivoroid pins and gibson pearl dots replicas on the bridge. Perfect for singing. It just loves the human voice.  I had it set up and it plays even better. You never need to get rid of it, it is a true workhorse! Enjoy your new aj-45, it is the closest guitar to a Gibson J-45 as I have run across.! 

MB 1.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pic of mine from last Christmas.  Nothing has changed but the tone keeps improving.

I added the small sound hole tuner you can just see in the picture.

It is a great guitar to sing with, I have had it everywhere.  I polished on mine a bit, but would love to get it even glossier.   I just used a micro fiber cloth and 0000 steel wool.

These things are kind of sleepers, you may strum a new one and not think it is anything special, but give it a few weeks and you may never what to put it down.  Mine will soon be at the 2 year mark.  I have yet to replace the batteries in the pick-up.  But I only use them about every other week for a half hour or so each time.  That's not a lot, but I would have to replace the AA's in my Martin two or three times by now...

20181227_035708 (480x640).jpg

Edited by Seagull
spell
  • Like 1