Gibson Brands Forums

Hi everyone, new member with some old Gibsons

JonCGuitar

Hi everyone hope you are all well. New to all this. Been playing Guitar since I was 5 39 years ago! Have many guitars. Here are my 2 Gibsons.

I will send more info as I need to

I was told this is a 57 12 String. It was owned by Tim Hart from Steeleye Span once but have no written proof.... Could anyone tell me what the model is and maybe what it is worth? Owned it for over 20 years and never sell

My latest baby. Bought this week. A 1939 Gibson L5. Cannot see Serial Number , in them days were they written in pencil? I trust the seller implicitly. I have known him and been friends for 30 years. It is nearly immaculate. Both guitars have original cases. Any information out there that could be useful please and again possible worth? Interest only as have no interest to sell. I am going to gig them and record with them then pass them on in my older years!!

post-98854-010574600 1551095850_thumb.jpg

post-98854-009472500 1551096324_thumb.jpg

A Luthier once said it was a 57 and I thought it was a 66. Is that possible?

Neither is possible. Gibson didn't make 12 strings in 1957. If it were a '66 it would have a trapeze tailpiece. They didn't go to the belly-down pin bridge on this model until about 1970.

If you went strictly by the serial number then maybe. Gibson serial numbers repeat themselves and in the 60s/early 70s there was not a whole lot of common sense. All that mattered was that a serial number was applied. That's why there's nerds like us to help decipher.

Neither is possible. Gibson didn't make 12 strings in 1957. If it were a '66 it would have a trapeze tailpiece. They didn't go to the belly-down pin bridge on this model until about 1970.

If you went strictly by the serial number then maybe. Gibson serial numbers repeat themselves and in the 60s/early 70s there was not a whole lot of common sense. All that mattered was that a serial number was applied. That's why there's nerds like us to help decipher.

Archived