Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 2014 Wes Montgomery L5

Midnight Blues

wes-montgomery.gif

Well, a few weeks ago anyway...

I've wanted one of these for years and I finally found one that I couldn't resist, so I just had to buy it! The seller is a GREAT guy and these are the pictures he took (apologies that I'm posting so many, but if it's any consolation, I'm not posting them all:

BNfvHBQ.png

L109C4b.png

QC99gH8.png

Fopt7BB.png

10gilsU.png

wes-montgomery.gif

Edited by Midnight Blues

wes-montgomery.gif

Some that I took:

XBW6XkM.jpg

OqmJKLr.jpg

After a good cleaning with some Virtuoso cleaner and I thought I'd take a few pictures. That's a picture of Wes from an old Guitar Player magazine (as if you couldn't tell! ) that I framed and had in my office at work for years. Now that I'm retired, it's home where it belongs:

td7gLgN.jpg

TfIB8An.jpg

rzU01o5.jpg

wes-montgomery.gif

That is absolutely beautiful, enjoy it and take good care of it.

Of course, drilling holes in it to add a Bigsby and maybe a few extra pick ups with push/pull active circuitry knobs would pep the old thing up so if you must you must.

That is a beauty. 5 years old and from the photos looks brand new.

Enjoy it. I too had wanted one for a long, long time so when some unexpected funds came along I had to finally get one. Don't play it as often as I should, but couldn't give it up.

As long as we're not being bashful about posting L5 photos:

GMfLe29.jpg?1

Enjoy it. I too had wanted one for a long, long time so when some unexpected funds came along I had to finally get one. Don't play it as often as I should, but couldn't give it up.

You have the same L5CESN as me...great choice you made. Mine is a 2015 Custom Crimson one, what year is yours?

Here's mine from the NGD thread I posted back in 2015. Scroll to the top to see pictures.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/125885-l-5-ces-ngd/page__p__1714712__hl__cody78+l5ces__fromsearch__1#entry1714712

Edited by cody78

You have the same L5CESN as me...great choice you made. Mine is a 2015 Custom Crimson one, what year is yours?

We're hijacking the OPs thread - but mine is also Custom Crimson built in 2013. Unlike many other models they don't mess with perfection and they don't change from year to year!!

Edited by Twang Gang

Incredibly beautiful guitar and all the photos are great. L5's are truly wonderful instruments. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Thank you cody! I'm not really good at taking pictures, but these aren't bad for someone as inept at it as I am and I'm enjoying every minute of having her around!

cheers.gif

That is absolutely beautiful, enjoy it and take good care of it.

Of course, drilling holes in it to add a Bigsby and maybe a few extra pick ups with push/pull active circuitry knobs would pep the old thing up so if you must you must.

Thanks Steve!

I was thinking about adding those, plus a B-Bender and locking tuners. Also, I was thinking about getting it aged as well. That should just about take care of it I think? laugh2.gif

cheers.gif

• Upvote 1

That is a beauty. 5 years old and from the photos looks brand new.

GMfLe29.jpg?1

Thanks TG! What a lovely example of an L-5 your's is! I can see why you had to take the plunge!

laugh2.gif

Here's mine from the NGD thread I posted back in 2015. Scroll to the top to see pictures.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/125885-l-5-ces-ngd/page__p__1714712__hl__cody78+l5ces__fromsearch__1#entry1714712

We're hijacking the OPs thread - but mine is also Custom Crimson built in 2013. Unlike many other models they don't mess with perfection and they don't change from year to year!!

L52_zpsq7n3t4tl.jpg

Not a problem cody/TG, all L-5s are welcome here!

Mine is a Custom Crimson as well!

Thanks for the posts and cheers.gif

• Upvote 1

Thank you cody! I'm not really good at taking pictures, but these aren't bad for someone as inept at it as I am and I'm enjoying every minute of having her around!

cheers.gif

You may not be good at taking pictures, but that beautiful guitar said “I got your back!” Just kidding man, you did a fine job taking pictures... and picking up that wonderful guitar of yours. Congratulations and many years of enjoyment! Just to set the record straight, I like your NGD the best. Just love that finish in the Wes Custom 😁

You may not be good at taking pictures, but that beautiful guitar said “I got your back!” Just kidding man, you did a fine job taking pictures... and picking up that wonderful guitar of yours. Congratulations and many years of enjoyment! Just to set the record straight, I like your NGD the best. Just love that finish in the Wes Custom 😁

Thanks Chris!

You're right, how bad can the pictures look when a guitar is as beautiful as that one! I love the "Vintage Burst" cool myself too. It just has the "right" look to me for some reason?

Thanks for the post and cheers.gif

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

wes-montgomery.gif

A few more:

NVKCQYj.png

bze0nPM.png

T4BkeY1.png

d7v0zAt.png

CgGUoQ5.png

PWBwZad.png

wes-montgomery.gif

I hope your pickguard stays in one piece I habe had 2 of them Gas on me and disenegrate I have had Gibson replace the original but the second one also disenegrated. Now Gibson won't even answer their phone. They have really became like a corporation that can't be bothered with their customers. I bought the Guitar new in 1978 and it plays beautiful. I paid $1,500 andnow they list for $ 10,500. Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

Wes L5 in VS.. the only guitar left that I am lusting for [drool]

There is nothing like it.

On a side note - my all time favorite Wes tone is the Kenny Burrell´s L7 with CC pickup he used for the 1st (Trio) album.. more woody, intimate or something.. Where can I get one ? :)