Gibson Brands Forums

1974 blonde Bird

E-minor7

Was about to post this one in the first blonde-bird-thread, but found it remarkable enough to give it a space of its own.

Once in a while we hear us self praise the N. . . . .s as guitars that can be excellent despite all the dark rumors about them. We just never get to meet the darkies.

Now I'm not trying to make an overall defense for the 70's double-x-braced Gibsons (owned a J-45 and a 50 De Luxe light-years ago, which had to be sent further),

but this new video gives an example of how they actually can open up beautifully over the decades and grow into something precious.

No, , , it's not a single-X thin braced 1960 to 67 square. And yes, , , you can almost sense the 2 XXs. But still give it listen and let's hear what you hear.

1974 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4MWiOf5ovg

Besides a very fine man-and-machine-portrait. Worth praising indeed. So hats off to mister Hoffmann and his human yet hovering playing.

He really knows where to seek the tone in this creature.

They levitate through H. Snyders garden like something with wings.

It does sound good overall, but I think that has most do with the gentlemans playing to be honest. And that guitar tone, while very pleasant sounded somewhat generic acoustic, certainly not like a Humminbird, in that was not hearing any of that soft nectarish tone of Hummingbirds.

As others have said, this may be a case where it is the player rather than the guitar. It certainly does not seem to have what you would call the classical hummingbird sound, and it does seem a bit subdued in overall response.

Maybe this is what Em7 is referring to in "sensing" the effect of the double-x top: it seems to choke things a bit.

If I played this guitar, it would probably have the classic vintage Gibson "stuffed full of socks" tone the we know so well from much of the Norlin era.

strange world,

this guy stood in my living room a week ago, he bought a speaker I had for sale.

Great ^ places like the Board can do that kind of things.

I remember posting a pic of a guy enthusiastically playing his Dove some years ago, , ,

and then a person chimed in from nowhere : Heeey ! that's mee. .

Apart from that, glad you liked the performance, fellows - we need to shed a little Norlin lOVE.

It sounds very sweet. Probably indeed because of the player but i do not really agree with the above.

Maybe it is just my ears, but i think that if the video or soundtrack was posted without any year model, many would have a different opinion.

Thanks for sharing, very inspiring video too.

Archived