Gibson Brands Forums

1942 Gibson sj with skunk stripe

Bob white

I new to the forum, glad to be here. I just want a little help with what you think this Gibson sj might be worth, I'm pretty sure it's a 1942 from the first full batch with a fon# of 910-8,it has had some cracks that have been repaired. I have a few more pictures but it wouldn't let me load them.

Thanks

post-99098-099915200 1551816177_thumb.jpg

post-99098-053318100 1551816198_thumb.jpg

post-99098-076262900 1551816214_thumb.jpg

post-99098-052606900 1551816229_thumb.jpg

It is not the first batch -- it is actually the last batch that had a lot of RW B&S instruments, and the "experts" claim Feb. 1943. Pretty rare for sure, and pretty well regarded as well. I have seen asking values in the 30K range, but I can't confirm any sold for that. We paid 11K for one with a few years ago. IMO, the overall market is a bit down from then, but since this has been sort of become a "hot" item, it might well sell well. Ours is "74" -- the highest known (ASAIK) in the batch. There seems to be a bit more than 200 of them made. Here is a registry.

http://www.bannergibsons.com/html-registry.html

Here is an article from my blog. https://vintageacousticinsruments.blogspot.com/

Cool guitar for sure.

Best,

-Tom

The FON 910 batch is rare, because they were primarily guitars with rosewood back and sides. A few had rosewood sides, but mahogany backs. It's hard to judge the wood from the pictures in the case of your guitar.

Value is greatly driven by condition, and yours has at least one substantial repair to a side, plus a lot of top wear. These will impact on value.

At least one other member on this forum has an SJ from this batch (I believe), and it has fairly figured rosewood back and sides, and is in excellent condition. It does not have the skunk stripe. In the banner registry, the FON 910 guitars are listed as 1943. Here's a link to that website:

banner Gibsons

The best way to determine current value is to get a professional appraisal from Gruhn Guitar in Nashville, which knows this market as well as anyone.

edit: sorry, I just duplicated most of the info provided by Tom Barnwell.

Edited by j45nick

Thanks for all the info,I dont actually own the the guitar but I know someone who has it for sale ,they are asking $8500 for it?

It's impossible to say without a first-hand inspection. Tpbiii has told you what he paid for his, from the same FON batch. I looked at that same guitar before deciding not to buy it. That guitar was in excellent condition, and has superb rosewood on the back and sides.

By all appearances, the one you are looking at might be most reasonably be described as in "fair" condition.

Condition drives value in the vintage market.

I'll pass, thanks.

It's an interesting guitar, and rare. But you wonder how well those extensive rim repairs were made, among other things. The one that Tom B has is so beautiful that this one pales in comparison.

Edited by j45nick

• 2 months later...

Mr. Bob White, Hope you are well. I have a 1942 Gibson SJ, FON 910 #9, maybe your guitar's Sister or Brother. The Beauty has some repaired cracks,  like me, but still has the juice. Rosewood back and sides and a Truss Rod.  What are the specs on your Guitar? Is it possible to e-mail? Congrats on your find. Thanks, Dan