Gibson Brands Forums

Louis G

Hi,

I have a couple of Epiphone guitars. One is an acoustic Masterbilt and the other is a Les Paul. Both are beautiful and deserve a player with more talent than I. I try hard. I started taking luthier courses a few years ago when I retired and I have built four instruments so far. But repairing guitars is much more satisfying to me. Which is what brings me to this group. I have my brother’s Epiphone acoustic (AJ-220S NA) which needs repairs. The bridge has lifted off the soundboard which cracked during this process. The bridge was only holding in place by the pegs. There was no contact between the bridge and the soundboard because the bridge was sitting on a raised ridge of lacquer. There was only a few contact points where the glue was applied thickly enough. Upon further inspection of the guitar, I noticed that plaster bandages were applied to the joint of the x-brace on the soundboard. Has anyone seen this before? This guitar was purchased new from a music store near Toronto. My Masterbilt does not have this. Does Epiphone do this on occasion or was this done by the people who were assembling the guitar at the store?

Welcome aboard Louis. You may want to post your question in the Epiphone Acoustics subforum. You will probably have better luck getting an answer there. Good luck.

Archived