Gibson Brands Forums

The Luckiest Man

MorrisrownSal

Thanks you gents for listening! I'm hearing the J50 a little more trebly than usual. I think I need to try beefier warmer Strings... maybe go up in gauge or tension.

And regarding harmony... I think the thing I like most gigging with my friend Mike is singing harmony... I have been working on developing me ear for it. So thanks for that compliment...

Really nice Sal!

I have Ej-19’s on mine, and it likes them. I posted a sample on the J-50 ngd thread.

My D-35 was sounding too bright and trebly with my usual ej’s and I put monel retros on, and they really warmed it up. If you’ve never tried them, maybe give it a shot.

Sal,

That was outstanding! I listened to it straight through a couple of times, cranking up the volume in the cans to get a better sense of it. Great harmonies. You've almost got that Levon Helm harmony-tight-with-lead thing going here, and I like it.

One of the best things I've heard on here , not just by you and your normal high standards , but including everyone

I know you dont realise what handsome chap you are , what with you being mr modest, but it makes a huge difference with seeing you play and not just a guitar shot

I know it means getting out of your pyjamas and putting a shirt on but it makes a difference to the overall performance

Never heard the song before

The wood brothers? Will be checking their stuff out tout suite

+1 on the EJ-19s, they're what I use on my J-50 and AJ. Actually the EXP coated version. I'm a Wood Brothers fan, but I don't know their whole catalog and I don't know that one, thanks for posting that!

Gushing.... Thanks again gents.

Nid, I just ordered those EJ19s... I bet they are the ticket. I’ll go listen to your sound sample now...

Have a good week everyone

After my string change to my usual ej-19’s, I was finding the j-50 a little brighter than I wanted. I put on Monel Retro last night (mediums on bass strings and Lights on trebles). I highly recommend. Unfortunately, I don’t think they make a bluegrass set, so I had to buy a med and light set to get what I wanted.

Very warm, but still quite loud sparkly enough.

Archived