Gibson Brands Forums

Blues Video

BluesKing777

Test one 2 5 9

Blues video no 2:

1937 Gibson L-0 gets a run. I see now that somehow I need to move everything to the right, my left. Sorry JZ but the mic stands are in the way of my right hand! Too bad, boy was I hot after doing that, and how, just how, did I knock the photo on the wall behind me?

Anyway - a higher rez vid in the link:

BluesKing777.

Geeze BK, really is good and I appreciate being able to see your hands dance around the fretboard. That baltimore ravens hat is blasphemy though.

Thanks.

On my video, there is a note from a Ravens fan.....

Sorry to disappoint Ravens fans but I have a small collection of caps including a Gibson (I look like a tech rep, especially if I wear the T-shirt), Maton (hmmmm, tech rep also), Ferrari (motorhead), BMW GP team (motorhead), some work related handouts among others. Most of these are really uncomfortable to wear for longer than about 3 seconds. A friend worked for a company with the owner of the Ravens a few years ago and brought me back the hat, knows I prefer black hats, and it is really comfortable and soft and floppy! [thumbup] And it is probably better to wear that around this area than my local football team hat! (Confuse them instead of angering them!)

BluesKing777.

Thanks, BK. Nice tight assertive right hand. I'll try. 10,000 hrs and counting.

...and my floppy soft never washed hat.

Nothing but friendly hellos when you wear this, especially when you run into someone that shopped there.

Thanks, BK. Nice tight assertive right hand. I'll try. 10,000 hrs and counting.

...and my floppy soft never washed hat.

Nothing but friendly hellos when you wear this, especially when you run into someone that shopped there.

Thanks JZ!

Now, right here on the other side of Mars/reality, can you believe we also have a Manny’s Music. Cow of a place to get to in the inner northern city suburbs, one of those main roads that has seemingly 450 sets of traffic lights/intersections and a No Right Turn sign where you would like to turn right at the start of the road Manny’s is on.....and they will be the only shop that sells that urgent item you need for the gig that night...........though it is probably quicker to order in from Manny’s New York. :mellow:

And the 10,000 hours, I kid you not but I probably did 20,000 on beginner right hand style, 10,000 on Lightning Hopkins and Gary Davis type right hand with just thumb and index.....and another 15,000 on the right hand I do in the video......If someone had said beforehand it will be this many, I doubt I would do it. But you know......I’m glad I did and should have started fingerpicking 10,000 earlier. 10,000 is about 10 years playing.

BluesKing777.

Thanks JZ!

And the 10,000 hours, I kid you not but I probably did 20,000 on beginner right hand style, 10,000 on Lightning Hopkins and Gary Davis type right hand with just thumb and index.....and another 15,000 on the right hand I do in the video......If someone had said beforehand it will be this many, I doubt I would do it. But you know......I’m glad I did and should have started fingerpicking 10,000 earlier. 10,000 is about 10 years playing.

BluesKing777.

Goes to show it doesn't just happen, got to earn your chops. Glad I get to hear some of your samples.

Goes to show it doesn't just happen, got to earn your chops. Glad I get to hear some of your samples.

Thanks Billroy!

Nobody made me do it....

It doesn’t mean you have to do this and that before you play anywhere - I was gigging the fingerpicking by approx. 6 -7,000 hours - though I was having way too much fun to count hours! Just that I have kept practicing regularly....because I wanted to.

BluesKing777.

Nice playing BK. I'm with you on liking practice too.

Thanks Country BP!

Yes, you have to like practicing, that is for sure. No one can make you do all that.

For example, Friday was a busy day at my house with trades people coming and going quoting on repairing my garage door and ceiling. Insurance guy. On and on it went....while I was working on the box here. So when I got to grab a guitar, I just wasn't in it and only played about half an hour. Around midnight, I grabbed a guitar and played on the couch for a while.

Saturday morning, up and at 'em. Gotta beat the lawnmowers. Every Sat morning, I do what I call 'C practice' - all country blues in C with a capo on 3, starting with simple stuff in a book and each one getting more difficult. I do this every week and sometimes it is fun and other times it is real drag, sometimes on it, others with a sore wrist or cut on the finger or thumb...I have played with bandaids on. Interesting sound... :mellow:

Just before lunch, I plug in - the lawn mowers are out there fighting it out. I usually play off some sheet music or iPad savings for an hour or so. Later in the afternoon, I play some more, but things off the top of my head and generally things I am wanting to memorise.

Sunday morning, I usually do DADGAD tuning off books and sheet music, usually on Lowdens, ranging from 'just playing' to learning chords in the tuning and lately, fiddle tunes which I find really hard because it seems to always want to use my little pinky slide finger. Sometimes I plug in - the Lowden sounds great with a Baggs M1A, for some reason. Sometimes I play some more later in the day but not always.

Monday morning here now....on the box...pfff. Guitars in their cases.

BluesKing777.

Archived