Gibson Brands Forums

1972 es345td

2nevets

Hello

any help would be very much appreciated-I dont understand how the electronics work on this-The bridge pickup does not work unless the cable is only partially put in the jack.When its fully inserted only the neck pup works-do I need a special cable for this guitar? I have an orange amp as well as a 1961 gibson ga79rvt which is a stereo amp

help:-(

STeve

Hello

any help would be very much appreciated-I dont understand how the electronics work on this-The bridge pickup does not work unless the cable is only partially put in the jack.When its fully inserted only the neck pup works-do I need a special cable for this guitar? I have an orange amp as well as a 1961 gibson ga79rvt which is a stereo amp

help:-(

STeve

Playing mono? Insert your plug in the other jack only, forget the second one exists.

Here's a pic of the rig I use with my Lucille and 345.

https://ibb.co/5h74y20

You MUST use only mono plugs on the git side. One is a mono only jack, the second one disables the typical controls

1.) Volume bridge only OR Volume neck + Volume bridge OR Volume neck only

to:

2.) Volume Bridge only OR Volume neck + Volume bridge OR Volume neck only

The second looks the same but it's not.

In setup 1 if you have the switch in the middle position shutting off EITHER pot to ZERO shuts off the git volume completely

In setup 2 if you have the switch in the middle position shutting off EITHER pot to ZERO leaves the other pup at whatever volume you leave it at. In other words full S-T-E-R-E-O control of the pups.

Some D'Angelico gits are wired like this (without using two cables) using only one mono plug, AFAIK it's called "Modern" wiring.

I hope it helps.

So you know, acquiring stereo to mono "Y" cables is hard (and expensive) in lengths longer than 9 inches.

Anything over a foot on each leg of the "Y" will likely cost $20 and up each depending on length you need

to two amps. Also the "Y" cords take a beating so it's a good idea to buy several 9" cables at less than

$10 each as well as a couple longer ones as well as a few stereo wired (1/4" male TRS on each end) as spares

if you don't want down time hunting for cables. Gads I MISS Radio Shack :-)

Egads, what a crap editor this page has.

Your second option is to use TWO MONO (1/4" to 1/4") cables, one to each jack on the git, the other ends to whatever amps you want. This is a PITA to use as the cables get tangled up in a mess, and they're a trip hazard, but I gotta say, it does look Waaayyy cool :-)

Remember think mono ONLY with plugs on the git itself.

Archived