Gibson Brands Forums

Even In The Quietest Moments

drathbun

It has been a while since I put another video together. I've been working on a multi-track cover of Supertramp's "Even in the Quietest Moments" and thought I'd just play through a live version. I finally got my 2017 Custom Heritage Cherryburst 12 string back from service where my tech made some excellent tweaks to the nut and the saddle. It plays much better now and sounds glorious.

I flubbed a couple of lyrics but at least I played it all the way through without crashing and burning. The flatpicking pattern on this song isn't what you'd expect. I studied a live performance video of Roger Hodgson playing this solo and had to go against my instincts to not pick this with just alternate picking DUDUDU. It is more like DDUDUD.

The multi-track is taking a while as I'm building it from a MIDI file as there is no backing track available for this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QLvYJZbWhE&feature=youtu.be

• Upvote 1

That 12ver sounds awesome. Nice pickin.

Thanks, dan. This tune is one of the first things I play whenever I pick up a 12. This and "Over The Hills and Far Away"... although, at my age, I'll just call it "Over the Hill".

Nice Doug, really liked it! Was that just one mic?

Thanks, billroy. I had the Rode NT1 about a foot and a half in front of me and the guitar and sent that to the left channel while I plugged the onboard LRBaggs Element pickup direct into the right channel and then just balanced them and added a bit of compression, EQ and reverb.

Another gem for this forum. Great-sounding 12-string and you play it well. Your picking accuracy is "spot on." A 12-string can be very noisy or it can be played like this. Excellent job. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks, MP! It took me longer to unlearn the WRONG way to play this, than it took me to learn it the first time 30 years ago!

Edited by drathbun

Nice job -- I thought I was Supertramp's last fan. Even in the Quietest Moments, Crisis? What Crisis?, Brother Where You Bound?, and of course Crime of the Century ... and not to exclude their huge Breakfast In America album (my least favorite of the albums I listed, even though it was their biggest seller). Famous Last Words is a great album too. What a band.

dsc_9946--f35286.jpg

Thanks, Guys! I've been a Supertramp fan forever. I think Even in the Quietest Moments is my favourite album although Crime of the Century and Breakfast in America are well played on my iPhone as well. I particularly like "Fools' Overture". The middle synthesizer riff was the theme song for a popular news magazine called "W5" (still running) in Canada back in the late 70's

Add me to the list of Supertramp Fan. Great job with that song. =D> Wish Supertramp would get together one last time...I understand that Rick Davis is having health issues. C'est le bon.

Thanks, Proclaimer! Rick tours with the name SuperTramp and Roger tours as Roger Hodgson (Breakfast in America World Tour). Davis has been fighting multiple myeloma (not good) and has, in the past, said there was no way they would get back together as there was "no harmony" between them.

Thanks, Proclaimer! Rick tours with the name SuperTramp and Roger tours as Roger Hodgson (Breakfast in America World Tour). Davis has been fighting multiple myeloma (not good) and has, in the past, said there was no way they would get back together as there was "no harmony" between them.

Just noticed you are from Alberta!! Got lost in Invermere BC before making it to Banf. I understand Supertramp to be very well regarded in the Great White North. If Roger comes even close to Carolina, all over it!! Again well done on Even in the Quietest Moments...Believe it or not, a nice guitar tab [scared] is available for "Downstream"...blaspheme, I know but, it does come close on a guitar. I officially now want a 12 string again thanks 2 u drathbun. Play on!!

Just noticed you are from Alberta!! Got lost in Invermere BC before making it to Banf. I understand Supertramp to be very well regarded in the Great White North. If Roger comes even close to Carolina, all over it!! Again well done on Even in the Quietest Moments...Believe it or not, a nice guitar tab [scared] is available for "Downstream"...blaspheme, I know but, it does come close on a guitar. I officially now want a 12 string again thanks 2 u drathbun. Play on!!

Thanks again, Proclaimer! Gassing for a 12 string is nothing to be ashamed of. Guitar collections are not complete (are they ever?) without a 12 stringer in the arsenal. I've had many over the years. A Rickenbacker 360-12, two Yamahas, a Larrivee, a Taylor and now a Gibson. 12 strings are awesome if you can get one that doesn't kill you either trying to play it, tune it, or change the strings. They say you can either play a 12 string or keep it in tune, but you can't do both. LOL

If you ever get a 12 string, do yourself a favour and tune it to open C (only takes an hour or so) and play the Moody Blues' "Question". I made a guitar tab that shows the correct way of playing the awesome song.

Question by The Moody Blues

I recorded a cover version of the song about a decade ago with my Yamaha FG720-12 and my Rickenbacker bass. I might have to redo it with the Hummingbird 12!

Question Cover

Edited by drathbun

• 1 year later...

Hello all, found this forum while searching for information on Roger Hodgson and whether he uses alternate tunings on his 12 string guitar(s)... does anyone know what, if any, tuning he uses for EITQM and Give A Little Bit?

As an aside, does anyone happen to know of any original demos of these tracks? Years back, Roger himself posted some mp3s on his personal website which included an amazing home demo from 1969 of 'Breakfast In America'; I also know that many of Roger's most famous tunes were written far before they were ever recorded, but it is a pity that these demos are very hard to find now.