Gibson Brands Forums

"Waiting"

BluesKing777

It seems everyone is waiting, so I call this little ditty I just recorded "Waiting". [huh]

So to wait no longer, I went and grabbed the old L-0 and recorded this simple little ditty with the capo on 3. (Now, a friend was over and wanted to play the beast, but when he had a pluck or 2 his face said I was a sadist for giving this thing to me). It is a tricky thing, 30s V neck worn and possibly shaved at 1 -4, but either way it is a handful if you haven't had a nice warmup......

So we put the capo on for the cry baby and he really liked it.

So I was playing away in a work break on a few chords, nothing like the blues expected on a guitar like this, and pressed record:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/waiting777

mv8dRU0l.jpg

BluesKing777.

That's a pretty little thing which could easily morph into Zevon's 'Tenderness on the Block'. I'm all over that.

Speaking of capos, did you read the AGF thread regarding angling it to get a truer tone? My L0 and M20 sharpened up touch when I set up my Paige that way, for what it's worth. I know you geeks love this crap like I do. Who doesn't love tweaking?

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541399

Thanks muchly, JZ!

Empty your pockets and get some nice jewellery - an Elliot - direct to/on fret - works beautifully. I do save it for Sunday best and the Shubb Capo Noir was on the L-0 in the track above...

TwTmQ2Tl.jpg

Capo Noir:

z6lUAiul.jpg

BluesKing777.

Hey BK - the little ditty is nice. To me the guitar really seems to have 2 different sounds, bright and sparkly across the high notes, then a little muted, and in the background on the lower. Maybe it's just the playing, but that was my take-away, and it sounded really good together - good stuff!

Hey BK - the little ditty is nice. To me the guitar really seems to have 2 different sounds, bright and sparkly across the high notes, then a little muted, and in the background on the lower. Maybe it's just the playing, but that was my take-away, and it sounded really good together - good stuff!

Thanks Billroy!

I had my music stand in front of me with some gadgetry I was using yesterday, which I don’t want to move yet, so I swung the mic (Neumann KM184) around to record and the music stand made me keep the mic a bit low and angled up towards the guitar (approx 12th fret), hence the high string emphasis. It is a sensative mic. I find myself holding my breath and also not moving my just started to squeek, chair!

BluesKing777.

Anyone recognise the old blues riff at the very end of the recording? [blink]

BluesKing777.

It's "Fur Elise" (Bagatelle in A minor), by Beethoven. Perhaps the first and easiest Beethoven piano piece every young pianist learns. I used to play it myself.

It's "Fur Elise" (Bagatelle in A minor), by Beethoven. Perhaps the first and easiest Beethoven piano piece every young pianist learns. I used to play it myself.

That’s the one!

We have almost broken the back of the waiting around.....

Soundhole pickup was transferred from a camel to a postal truck at midnight and a tracking ping was made for the first time in a week.

Good news with my garage door as persistance with insurance people has them paying for everything and a project manager, I suppose you would call them, will handle new door, new ceiling, paint, electrical etc....sometime in 4 weeks. This frees up the guitar fund for........... <_< Better lose some guitars to make space for .........fill in blanks.....

No sign of my luthier and the little job I gave him.

BluesKing777.

Empty your pockets and get some nice jewellery - an Elliot - direct to/on fret - works beautifully. I do save it for Sunday best and the Shubb Capo Noir was on the L-0 in the track above...

BluesKing777.

Coincidentally, I just ordered an Elliot from Elderly Instruments, along with a few other little treats.

Yeah , cant be putting a 5.99 capo on this latest guitar

Well, that's certainly what I did for years on its sibling. Except I think it was more like $1.50 in 1966 (rubber and elastic capo that finally gave up the ghost a few years ago).

Well, back in those elastic thing days, you would only use a capo in an absolute emergency! :huh:

Then the clamps came out and like everyone else, I put the capo on about halfway between the frets....and of course, it put the guitar way out of tune.

Then a video did the rounds with Tony Rice playing with a capo right ON the fret he wanted, and claims of still being in tune. Hooray, we can use a capo and be in tune. I have used various Shubbs, mainly, ever since, exactly on the fret and it is in tune with the guitar itself. (But if you get the tuner out, not so good, but I play solo so who gives a flying fortress.

Moving the capo at an angle happens anyway after your hand has knocked it a 150 times while playing, unless you are one of those that destroy guitar necks and have the capo so tight it digs a hole in the back of the neck.

Which brings us to the Elliot..... mine is the brass body, hand made, hand polished - Sunday best.

BluesKing777.

P.S. "Fur Elise" is in this very useful "50 Fingerstyle Songs"

https://www.guitarnick.com/the_finest_fingerstyle_songs.html

Which brings us to the Elliot..... mine is the brass body, hand made, hand polished - Sunday best.

BluesKing777.

That's the one I just ordered. $43 at Elderly. Free shipping, since I combined it with a couple of other things I really wanted. The capo was an afterthought to get the order up to the necessary level for free shipping. But as you say, it's much like the ones we used back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and Bob Dylan was just a goofy-sounding kid from Minnesota.

That's the one I just ordered. $43 at Elderly. Free shipping, since I combined it with a couple of other things I really wanted. The capo was an afterthought to get the order up to the necessary level for free shipping. But as you say, it's much like the ones we used back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and Bob Dylan was just a goofy-sounding kid from Minnesota.

An Elliott capo for 43 dollars?

Must be an "Elliot style" capo....mine cost a bucket in custom brass... went to look at Elderly and the site was down.

https://elliottcapo.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=6

The other HUGE improvement in playing guits is the TUNER! Now back when I learned, the teacher had a peculiar method of tuning the guitar with a tuning fork held behind his back while saying "Abracadbra" to get the "A", then a convoluted and tedious method of tuning each string to another while putting the ones you already tuned out of tune.

THEN, a guitarist friend said try this: tuning with Harmonics, superb for electric guitar! Useless on the un-tunable acoustic I had. [mellow]

Then guitar shops had Boss tuners! Electronic! The cheapskates in 2 bands, at least, that I was in all shared mine! And then a guy mentioned to us that we were doing that so we were all in tune to the same tuner! "Huh?" :mellow:

AND NOW.....my gorgeous cannot live without TC Electronics Polytune Clip - perfect tuning every time in all tunings, as long as the battery is fresh...... you could almost tune with the capo ON! [smile]

And I bought a spare because we have no idea how to tune by EAR anymore.

AND....my pickup delivery arrived with no tracking warning and it has put me off getting any guitar delivered, as it is all coming back to me. Nope - play first before buy is the rule - no delivery.

BluesKing777.

Must be an "Elliot style" capo....mine cost a bucket in custom brass... went to look at Elderly and the site was down.

BluesKing777.

Elliot

It says "handmade in Oregon by Dave Elliott."

Maybe it's something different?

They charged me $42.99, and it has shipped. I'll let you know what it is when it gets here.

Edit: looking at he Elliott website, the capo at Elderly is slightly different from all these, which are listed as "McKinney-Elliott." I wonder if this is a partnership that broke up, and Dave Elliott is out on his own in some way with a slightly different design to avoid patent infringement.

Elliot

It says "handmade in Oregon by Dave Elliott."

Maybe it's something different?

They charged me $42.99, and it has shipped. I'll let you know what it is when it gets here.

Edit: looking at he Elliott website, the capo at Elderly is slightly different from all these, which are listed as "McKinney-Elliott." I wonder if this is a partnership that broke up, and Dave Elliott is out on his own in some way with a slightly different design to avoid patent infringement.

Hmmmmmmmm!!!

Part of the large Elliot family? Dave and his other brother Dave O:)

I am not sure if I would put that thing on your new love, Nick. My Elliot "Elite" brass custom absolute jewel has a wonderful thick (chamois) leather strip where it contacts the back of the guitar. Cost me about $450 by the time it got through our Customs and delivery and tax and all the cons...Your guitar though.

mxvfYgAl.jpg

Now, I had a quick installation lap of my new Seymour Duncan Mag Mic pickup HOOORAAAAAyIO - it fits my Martin OM18V - Hoorayyyyyy- but it will require a bit more adjusting...pole pieces, mic control, mag control and the big effin' elephant in the room (on the guitar) - the 9 volt battery or the soldering iron comes out to make it a watch battery on the back of the pickup but that takes it from 450 hours operation with the 9 to only 50 with the N.... For now I am going to put the battery holder which dangles down the front of the guitar, in an old "Mojo Bag' from Diamond Bottlenecks to stop scratching.

Here is a copy of some of their instructions:

Installation (Using “N” Battery)

By installing the “N” battery clips, the Mag Mic becomes a single, integrated unit for

the ultimate in portability. However, this entails some compromises. Battery life is

severely limited: you’ll get 50 hours with an “N” battery as opposed to 450 with a

standard 9 volt. Also, when inserting an “N” battery, you must ensure that it’s

polarized correctly. The positive end of the battery must be oriented toward the “plus”

symbol next to the microphone on the underside of the pickup (refer to Fig.4).

Installing the “N” battery clips is a tricky process and requires high-level soldering

abilities and a good quality iron with the correct tip. It is essential that the work be

done properly. Even when done perfectly, the clip will still not stand much abuse.

It is advisable that care be used when installing and changing batteries. If you’re not

entirely confident that you posses these abilities, please have this procedure done by

a qualified electronics technician.

BluesKing777.

But King does this not leave the cord dangling rather noticeable out the sound hole? Got to be clean

KHokFmw.jpg

HH

Yes.

Leads dangling out the front PLUS with this pickup, a battery holder! But the pickup is what was recommended to me by our team of experts - I want to use it in multiple guitars. The battery can be converted to a watch battery connected under the pickup. But you know, I have the hated Matons with the best pickup system on the planet currently....What is the saying? ......“Don’t go on after the Maton player!”

I will play it with everything dangling for a week or so and decide what to do, install or chuck it in the Failed Pickup Museum. ( bottom drawer of desk).

So far, I have played it, adjusted it and then removed 4 pole pieces from 1 and 2 string. And then add a little bit of mic.......30-40%, can’t tell with no numbers on the dial, but I really like it, so far. Just tried it in my 59 LG3 and it could easily stay there perm. Honeymoon period. Also knocked LG3 over and put a dent in the back of the neck....lucky I didn’t knock the headstock off!

BluesKing777.

Magnificent tone, really liked that. I have both an Elliot and a Seymor Duncan Mini-Mag, but I fear I will never be able to play as well as your little ditty. Maybe I need an L-0 ? Ha, this is the stuff that fuels GAS.

So the Seymour Duncan Mag Mic is very nice...it fits my OMs! And others.

But it doesn't fit in my 1944 Martin 0-17, which I measured the soundhole and compared to their specs before buying, should fit. It will if I take the clamp off one side of the pickups, I suppose, and take the strings off the guitar...but that isn't the plan. Intentions are to put it in the 'guitar of the day' that doesn't have a pickup and run it through my preamps and junk. It also doesn't fit my Martin CEO7.

It sounds great in my LG3 - the mic up at about 30% would see me through any playing as it gives it the 'feel' I like to play with. Like playing my unmentionable guitars with their superb and easy pickup system, a little bit. But really, with all the stuff hanging off my guitar, it needs to be installed in something professionally. Decisions. More experimenting first - the mic on full is nasty, as someone else told me before I bought it. Popular way to run the pickup is to get a good sound with the mag part, then add a fuff-ful of mic..just before it screams like a Banshee in the amp. Another method I read is to put the mic on full with the mag right down, EQ to get the nasties out of the mic sound, then add the mag/volume for bottom end/fullness. I have not been able to do this with success as yet.

BluesKing777.

Archived