Gibson Brands Forums

guitar stand messed up my finish HELP

unklemars

So I read about guitar stands messing up the finish so I looked at my SG yep it has markings 1 on the neck and 4 on the bottom. guitar stands should be outlawed I hate them NOW. back to the case with them all. So how do I fix this my lespaul and my sg are 2018 I only got them out couple weeks ago I have 7 guitars the rest are cheap but good epiphones so I was playing the other ones and but back to help. I mention the 77 standard but I sold that in 1984.

Welcome unclemars, Well? That's a good question but unfortunately I can't help on the finishes. The topic has come up before on nicks and blemishes and many have said, live with it, things will happen. Maybe someone can help you that might come along. Good luck.

Dam that's a shame man.

What are you using for stands? Depending on how long this went unnoticed, wax or some sort of buffing compound may not reverse it. Worth a try tho.

The folding stands that have a swivel base the guitar rests on (pitchfork!), besides being not all that unstable, are not good for anything "nitro", which is a Gibson finish.

I know that for sure, Hercules Stands (especially the new ones) are in fact nitro safe, also you can also wrap cotton strips around the yokes and and support bases of your existing stands to prevent direct contact with the finish for stands that are not nitro safe.

Since you can never be sure, it's a good standard practice. I have a wall few hangers I use when I've a few guitars out for a session. I've wrapped cloth around all of them as I don't trust they are nitro safe. I secure the cloth with very small tie wraps at the start and end of the wrap. You could try that with your stands, and that should prevent any further finish damage

I hope this turns out ok for you. I know how frustrating this can get. Let us know how it's going.

I don't long term store my guitars on stands. Pretty much most the guitars I buy come with a case (except MIM Fenders). If they don't have one, or if it comes with a soft case or gig bag, I replace it with a hard shell case.

I do have a couple stands that I've fitted/covered the contact points with 100% cotton material, like t-shirts, flannel dust rags, and socks. That way I can set it down for breaks when playing without having to mess with the case.

I've had all of the Gibson's I've ever owned rest in stands from $10 to nice Hercules stands with no issues. But my friend put a Snark on his SG, and after it was on for just an hours or so, it left a mark where the tuner clamps to the headstock. But we all want Gibson to keep spraying nitro.

I had the same snark bite on my SG when I first got it in 2012.

But, also I've left those and similar tuners on my 95 LPS (I just forgot it was there when I cased it). and after what had to have been a week and a half I took it out noticing, "Darn it, left the tuner on" but it left not a trace of a finish mark.

so it probably is a newly finished axe is far more vulnerable. Nitro takes ages to fully cure.

And if they stopped spraying nitro, there'd be a mob with ropes and torches heading to Tennessee, prolly the same guys that went nuts with Richlite fretboards!! HA!

Rub the marks off with a terry cloth rag and some Turtle Wax Spray Shine.

*boom*, problem solved.

:)

so I tried the turtle wax with the terry cloth it's better . I'll keep working on it. I do leave my guitars on stands because I try to play while I watch tv wife just said while tv on .So I like to look at them and play. my acoustic lives leaning on the edge of my couch. just in case I need to play a couple cords. I have cases for my gibsons and my tony iommi sg .I play every day I get up for work at 130 in the morning. and I play while I drink my coffee. even turn on utube to watch what I'm having trouble with. addicted no not much. thanks for your help . guitar players rule and are the coolest

Archived