Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LP Junior

Run

Hi, I noticed that post-40907-071434200 1553192123_thumb.jpgthe bridge on my Gibson Les Paul Junior (with GeForce tuner) is not at level. There is an angle (see pic) when setup is done. Is this normal ? or if not what is wrong ? Thanks.

Guest MarriottLuvr

Yes it is normal. That's why I have a thread running along with this one asking about positioning of a replacement bridge. ;) How is your fit from side to side? My money is on about 2mm of movement there too.

If it helps, I did use some really cheap M6 shim washers ground into a 'U' shape which slipped over the post and removed most of that tilt. It works but it's fiddly to set up and maintain and you have to be able to grind the washer to fit.

Thanks, knowing that it's normal, I just inserted a thin shim to bring it parallel and have to say that there's a Roland GK pickup installed on this guitar to drive a Roland VG-88 sound module and this makes it a bit more difficult to ajust the bridge.

Guest MarriottLuvr

In fairness we're not really sure that it isn't designed like that. Sounds odd I know but it may be that doing it that way may just produce that much sought after situation, the single point contact for "transmission of tone" (whatever that phrase is meant to mean whenever it is used). There is a lot of advice around to try to minimise physical contact points which transmit vibration to as near a sharp single point as possible. Well in a way this does that. It takes the flat contact surface and rakes it up to be pretty much just a point at the upper rear and a point at the lower front on each side. (Then there is the multimultipoint post thread of course.) It could be that it looks gross but works really well. I won't comment on sound issues like this as it's down to you. Some are bound to think it is stunning, some that it stinks and some that it makes no difference. And then again please remember I am not saying this is true, only that it is an interesting idea and may have some truth in it or not.

The wraparound bridge angle looks pretty normal to me for a Gibson product. The Gibson LP Junior is a retro guitar, an excellent example of simplicity and function, a work of art. It is the basics of everything you need in a very well built format. The wraparound solid metal Lightening Bar Bridge enhances the way it resonates in a way like no multi piece TOM bridge can equal, specially with P90's.

Archived