Gibson Brands Forums

Mislabled BB1&2?

hi13ts

Hi friends, I apologize if I'm not posting in the proper area of the forum, but I know this area gets read often and I'm in a bit of a time table. I recently bought what was advertised as a set of BB1&2 from Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/20087091-gibson-burstbucker-1-and-2-pickup-set. I just received them today and upon closer inspection, I don't believe they are actually BB 1 and 2s. Firstly, I should've been more leery of the Gibson USA decal stamped on the back. The vintage reissues (such as the Burstbuckers) should have the "Patent Applied For" sticker. I chalked it up to inconsistencies in years. However, when I measured the resistance for the BB2, it was an astronomical 13k, which is 500T/Dirty Fingers territory. The BB1 read 7.7, which is expected, I guess. Also, they seemed to have been wax potted, and BB1 and 2s, as I understand, are not. I've contacted the seller with my concerns and am currently awaiting an answer. I asked him something earlier to which he replied partially on, so I'm afraid things may get a little hairy. I wanted your opinions on this. Perhaps some of you own a set of BB1&2s from the 90s or so that might be able to confirm these inconsistencies? Please let me know. Thanks!

The ad says they're Burstbuckers but the picture and description of what you got indicates they are not.

In my experience they look like a set of 498/490s. Which are nice pickups, but they are definitely not Burstbuckers.

Thanks for all your input. Indeed it wasn't. Given the readings and the look of the pickups, it's most probable that they were the 490R/498T combination, as many of you mentioned. Not terrible, but nowhere near Burstbuckers. I also paid Burstbucker price, so I'm looking to get my money's worth. I suspect the seller was confused, possibly was given bad info and passed it on. Fortunately, it got resolved. I sent it back and am awaiting the refund to be processed.

I went to my local shop and was able to find a Burstbucker 1 and 3. No BB2's, but was able to get a slight discount for both if I was willing to try to the 3. I put it on my 335 and it's definitely closer to what I was wanting. The stock MHS were... strange. They were, at least to my ears, kinda dull. Very weak pickups, as per vintage specs, but it was very difficult to coax out a satisfactory sound from them. The Burstbuckers retain that vintage pluck and airiness, but it's definitely hairier and easier to drive. There's a spank and presence to it that I couldn't get from the MHS. I'll continue to evaluate it as I get more opportunities to play it in a live setting.

Lesson learned. Be more observant and wary of online purchases..

Archived