Gibson Brands Forums

Seymour Duncan Mag Mic test track

BluesKing777

Here is a little 'something' or other, ha ha, to demo my new Seymour Duncan Mag Mic soundhole pickup, henceforth known as the Dunc.

A little fingerpicked version of the chords in Something (Beatles) on my 59 Gibson LG3. I had my fan blowing in front of me - a very humid day here, but it doesn't seem to have recorded through the little mic in the pickup. Good!:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/something-lg3-sdmm-7a

BluesKing777.

I recorded another track with the Dunc on my Waterloo WL-14X - this guitar has a K&K mini installed and I am told, a lot of people that play loud like to have the Dunc AND the K&K wired to a little preamp inside the guitar - Dunc to get the mag bottom end, add the mic till it feeds and back it off, add the K&K and blend to taste.

Me, I have wires running everywhere and I tripped on one earlier, crashed in to case, swore a little and the dog won't come back inside. Anyway, the Dunc is in the soundhole, the mic section of the pickup is on about 75% and run to a preamp and EQ'd and then run to a channel of my mixer. The K&K is run to a preamp and then to another channel of my mixer. No other EQ was done. I added a bit of reverb/delay on the Dunc Mag Mic, but no reverb on the K&K.

I played all over the neck to give a variety of sounds, a bit of blues.. i tapped on the top around the place to show how ‘live’ the mic can be.....

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/blues-sdkk-777a

BluesKing777.

It's a lovely sounding pickup, I love the one I have in my '41 Reissue SJ100. Very versatile and toneful, great for live work-I constantly adjust the mic volume to adapt to different venues and systems' tone and feedback susceptibility. It fires off effects very well and takes overdrive (even with the mic dialled in) very well indeed.

Sounds not too bad BK

Your samples/reviews have kinda led me to the conclusion that most of these 'higher end' pickups are much of a muchness

I think over the years my favourite electrified sample you've put up was using the Fishman spectrum jobby

One of these days one will arrive that sounds acoustic I hope

Yep, correct weight BBG.

A good mic is best, until you turn it up.

I should have got this one with the mic first, save collecting them - hard to record the diff that the mic makes but I really like it.

These pickups are because I don’t want to alter some nice guitars. Chuck it in the soundhole. The Fishman Aura Spectrum you like needs an undersaddle pickup installed - the drill, the dreaded drill. Just not happening to my old Gibson and little old Martin....

BluesKing777.

Yep, correct weight BBG.

A good mic is best, until you turn it up.

I should have got this one with the mic first, save collecting them - hard to record the diff that the mic makes but I really like it.

These pickups are because I don’t want to alter some nice guitars. Chuck it in the soundhole. The Fishman Aura Spectrum you like needs an undersaddle pickup installed - the drill, the dreaded drill. Just not happening to my old Gibson and little old Martin....

BluesKing777.

Yeah , I get ya

I'd still like to know what guitar they have , or what they think is a good tone when the worker at the sound hole pickup factories set the pole heights

Maybe its different requirements you're playing Wembley stadium 😳

Yeah , I get ya

I'd still like to know what guitar they have , or what they think is a good tone when the worker at the sound hole pickup factories set the pole heights

Maybe its different requirements you're playing Wembley stadium

Ha!

I want to know who measured the soundholes of possibly 3 dreads and said their pickup will fit ALL guitars.

All part of the learning process that the salesman didn’t do. I mean, when The Beatles traversed the Sea Of Holes in the Yellow Sub, all the holes were the same size at least. (I could be wrong on that but it sounded good.) but not so for acousticals. And the problem with your pole piece height stems from the holes all being different distances from the strings, seemingly random distances. For example, my old Gibson has the above pickup a fair way from the syrings and then you have to turn up everything, while the LG3 has the same pickup nearly touching the strings. And it sounded like an archtop or something Tony Joe would play....

See, I knew none of this before. But I know the Lowden O22 sounds fantastic with the Baggs M80 straight, no EQ....and the Blues King sounds horrid.

BluesKing777.

It's a lovely sounding pickup, I love the one I have in my '41 Reissue SJ100. Very versatile and toneful, great for live work-I constantly adjust the mic volume to adapt to different venues and systems' tone and feedback susceptibility. It fires off effects very well and takes overdrive (even with the mic dialled in) very well indeed.

Do you use it in a preamp at all, Jinder? I have not tried it in my amp up loud yet, but I didn’t like it direct to my mixer. I like it in my Fishman Pro EQ, but couldn’t agree with the Baggs Align, ok but the other is better. YMMV.

BluesKing777.

Do you use it in a preamp at all, Jinder? I have not tried it in my amp up loud yet, but I didn’t like it direct to my mixer. I like it in my Fishman Pro EQ, but couldn’t agree with the Baggs Align, ok but the other is better. YMMV.

BluesKing777.

I use all my pickups through my Boss AD10 for live, although for the sessions for the album I'm cutting at the moment, we've found that the MagMic run direct to the interface sounds good as an accompaniment to a stereo pair, with the internal mic dialled in at around 40%. It adds a very useable bit of beef to the tone when blended with the external mics.

I use all my pickups through my Boss AD10 for live, although for the sessions for the album I'm cutting at the moment, we've found that the MagMic run direct to the interface sounds good as an accompaniment to a stereo pair, with the internal mic dialled in at around 40%. It adds a very useable bit of beef to the tone when blended with the external mics.

Thanks Jinder!

Very interesting. It says something for the pickup/mic sound quality if you like it blended with recording mics....

I intend to play the pickup straight to my Boss VE8 later. I imagine it has similar electronical specs to your AD10, as in input sensitivity etc. I found the K&K direct to the VE8 to be a horrible mismatch to boominess, but things like the Baggs M80 sound good direct in. And my Matons sound great direct to it.

Going to a VE8 is a good test of how the guitar tone/pickup tone will affect (my) vocal. First, I need to dismantle the little mad scientist looking ‘leads everywhere’ thing I have ended up with in the cave. Need to admit defeat on a ‘special’ Dimarzio guitar lead I bought at the salesman’s recommendation for $80.....works, sounds good but just way too long and won’t sit and behave.

On that point, Jinder, have you tried the Boss WL-20L wireless doodahs? (I could play down the other end of the house with my amp booming out the open window to annoy the whole street. Apart from that and the love of guitar gadgets, I don’t really need wireless.... I suppose I could record from another room, near the heater or fan! Couch!!! But it would be absolutely ideal with a guitar like my Matons to plug direct to a mixer/PA....just guitar and wireless doodads. Outstanding. Surprise them at the crusty old blues club and their clapped out PA/mixer.

BluesKing777.

Further to my last posting, I DID plug the Dunc direct to my Boss VE8, then mixer and headphones, no other gadgets, and nothing on the guitar channel except the volume knob to half...no reverb or delay, zip, vocal channel turned off and no mic plugged in...

LG3 sounds fabulous! Pickup vol on about 3/4 and mic about 3/4. The Boss VE8 preamp suits the Dunc very well.....happy camper here who should have bought this pickup FIRST. (Never heard of it, then when I did, the bit about the battery setup put me off. It IS a bit dicky. A price for everything!) Good sound with no alteration to the guitar! Hooray!

BluesKing777.

Well, I gritted the teeth and went in the cave, tried to squeeze the Dunc in to the Martin 0-17. No luck with the stock setup.

Took the clamps off and slid the pickup nder the strings, not in the hole and down then up, but lifting the strings up past the thickness of the pickup. It sits in the sondhole without the clamps on. Out comes the gaffa tape to hold it in place, and a total retune of the guitar strings I have tortured. Sounded great until the playing vibrated the guitar top and the gaffa tape started lifting.....then the pickup vibrated against the wood. Out it came, NFG.

Put the clamps back on and put the pickup in my Martin OM18 Authentic. Hooray, it fits. I didn’t really like the sound so need to adjust everything, but I think the LG3 just suits the pickup the best so far.

BluesKing777.

Archived