Gibson Brands Forums

New "Kid" in town

kawaray

I'm the proud ownner of an LG1 serial-No. 358359 I bought from a US soldier in Bremerhaven, Germany, back in the mid 70's.This guitar has accompanied me on my travels throughout many countries from Scotland, Thailand, Cyprus, Spain to the US, Bermudes and many others: It got me many new friends all over the world.Me - born in Germany, raised in Australia, mum got home-sick and returned to Germany at age 16. Now going on to 70.I started playing at 13 with a - I dunno what it was - semi acoustic. I visited the Academy of Music in Brisbane for a couple of years.

Having earned some money I bought myself a Maton "Red Flamigo" which accompanied me to Germany. Sorry I sold it!

Since then I played in many (mostly unkown) bands playing many different guitars, Les Paul, SG, Strat, Telecaster Custom (which I still have) along with several acoustics, of which I kept my favorites, my LG1 and a Takamine G Series EG-15C.

Enough of me!

Going on to spring, it's time for a clean-up.My LG1 has a plastic bridge which has cracked and I want to replace it before it blows to pieces - it cracks when tuning.Hope someone can help me on this.

post-99660-027516000 1553264184_thumb.jpg

I have a bridge I need to replace as its warped. I've never done it before and yet have done it but watched videos on U Tube on how its done. First is getting the old one off and they use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the glue behind the bridge using a thin putty knife to work the bridge off. Patience in removing it and removing the old glue once it's off. With the new bridge, check alignment and re-glue but you will need clamps that reach in on both sides to hold it in place tight while the glue dries overnight. It is a process to take on but simple. I just haven't found the time yet and its an old 35 some year old guitar. I would watch videos on U-Tube first showing the process and the glue needed before you do it if you've never done it before. Good luck.