Gibson Brands Forums

New Canadian Gibsons????

onewilyfool

I played a CSR-CE for just a few minutes at Apple Music in Portland last week. Nice rosewoody tone and some punch, but not great action. And it didn't feel like a Gibson, you know? More like a Guild or something. I'd have to give it a much more thorough test drive to be sure, but I'm not sold at the moment. Especially for $1,559.

I was wondering how the canadians could compete with the asian guitar machine......at $1599, looks like they aren't!!! I would definitely think twice about buying a Canadian Gibson instead of an American Gibson for only a few hundred less. (and I'm a canadian!!!) SO, they took over a factory making Canadian guitars at half the price of the new Gibsons they are producing now???? Not a bad business plan...

From a post over on the AG forum that I linked to on the other Canadian Gibson thread the shop that had them in Denver was selling them depending on model between $800 & $1200. I kinda gather it's the old each shop is different situation when it comes to what they will sell a guitar for.

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I played a few Canadian Gibsons at my local music store the other day. They seem to be on the level of the cheaper Martin guitars to me. From 800 to 1200 give or take was the asking price. I ended up buying a brand new Gibson USA Made CJ165 vintage burst that is without question the best sounding acoustic guitar I've ever played and I've played a good many Taylors, Martins, Lowdens and other brands. The Canadian made Gibsons didn't impress me too much for tone or touch.

Rick

Has anyone SEEN or PLAYED any of these new Canadian made Gibsons???? No one carries them in my neck of the woods. All links to Web sellers don't work???? Interested to see how they compare to the "real" thing....

Four bolt-necks are on the Musician's Friend site now. You can get to them easily from the main page, as they're featured under "New Products."

Archived