Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Necks

Luke C.

Epiphone isn't very forthcoming with that type of info. IIRC, they started advertising slimtaper in the early 1990s, but not all models. The issue with this is that they didn't really advertised for neck shape much prior, so it's hard to tell what is and isn't a D or C.

The C profile neck is still being made, sometimes called the Fat Neck by musicians. Usually found on retro 50's guitars like the Inspired 55 Les Paul Custom or the 56 Les Paul Standard Pro, how ever the new 24 fret DC Pro has a Custom Rounded C Profile. Also found on some signature models like the Lee Malia guitars and the new Ltd. Ed. Jared James Nichols “Old Glory” Les Paul Custom. The most popular neck that evolved coming out of Gibson is D profile Slim Taper, first produced in 61 I think.. I don't know of a way to list Gibson/Epiphone's that have the C profile. But I guess you could call Gibson Support..

The neck shape spec's can be easily found in the Epiphone Products info pages..

The guitars with C profile necks will usually be MSRP $599 +..

To be honest, "Slimtaper D" can mean a lot of things.

For instance, both the Epiphone Les Paul Custom PRO and the Les Paul Traditional PRO are advertised as having a "SlimTaper™ 'D' profile" neck. However, if you try out 10 Custom Pros and 10 Traditional Pros, you will find that every single Traditional Pro has a thicker neck than any Custom Pro, and the difference is quite noticeable. The neck on the Traditional Pro will also be much more round than the Custom Pro.

D and C profile are just basic descriptions, not all models described with them will have exactly the same shape and many will be modified for the specific guitar they are connected to. Also note the early Gibson made Epiphone's traditionally had thinner necks than the Gibson's of the same era, which may have influenced the development of the Gibson D profile neck over the bulkier 50's C profile.

Archived