Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson es 339 2016

tom brown

Just picked up a 339 and i think its a really fine guitar.

Im glad its a 2016 so it has a rosewood fretboard and “57” pickups.

The guitar was such a closet queen there were wood chips from the factory still in the bottom of the guitar case. Haha

I think it has the factory strings which im about to change to dr blues .

Maybe add a little lemon oil to the fretboard ?

It looks dry.

• Upvote 2

Just picked up a 339 and i think its a really fine guitar.

Im glad its a 2016 so it has a rosewood fretboard and "57" pickups.

The guitar was such a closet queen there were wood chips from the factory still in the bottom of the guitar case. Haha

I think it has the factory strings which im about to change to dr blues .

Maybe add a little lemon oil to the fretboard ?

It looks dry.

I'd advice against lemon oil, but there are lots of other options like linseed oil that are okay And just use a tiny, and I mean tiny amount. No soaking and nothing should be left on the surface. Far too much bad advice out there about dry boards. 2016 was generally a great year for ES models, Enjoy!

Edited by Wmachine
  • Upvote 1

I assume that the middle position splits the coil and im wondering if the “57” pickups are four wire and if so, can i put a different switch in to get other single coil or out of phase sounds.

Thanks

I don't think there is a coil split. The last I recall (from 2015) is that these used the Memphis Tone Circuit.

Wiring? I haven't a clue. My 339 is a 2015 Studio model and certainly has no coil split/taps.

Are you sure your pickups are 57 Classics? This spec I found for 2016 quotes Burstbuckers.

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Memphis/ES-339.aspx

• Upvote 1

Yes i believe they are the “57” pickups.

I have owned a studio with burstbuckers and i think they are a little more brittle with gain applied.

And i have the SG 3 to compare.

I think in 2018 they switched to the torrified maple and different pickups

But several websites have conflicting data so i seached around quite a bit. I believe sweetwater has the most accurate specs in this.

Gibson does not help , they have several different es 339 studios , one with one pickup

• Upvote 1

Also some say the 339 has orange drop caps and memphis tone circuit

I hold gibson responsable for this, they should archive a page with the exact specs of each year and model they build. Its no cost to them!

And the should be more distinct in naming other guitars with different specs and same model name like the es 339 with one pickup.

The could just give it a new name ?

And i think i saw a custom shop es 339 unless it was a fake

Edited by tom brown

You can "hold Gibson responsible", but they have no obligation to make all the past model specs available.

FWIW Gibson specs.

However the Gibson site never has had all the models them made available on the site. Did not include dealer ordered models, made for Japan, etc.

Edited by Wmachine

Yes, 339s are very nice guitars, and a lot of bang for the buck. I have one from 2009, that I picked up brand new for $1529 at that time.

My recommendation on fretboard oil would be either F-One or Fret Doctor. Both use only natural oils, and are formulated specifically for this purpose. I've tried a lot of oils over the years, and these two are the best I've found. Also, both will typically darken a lighter board, which most people seem to prefer.

Congrats & enjoy your 339!

• Upvote 1

I have a 2016 ES 339 Studio that I bought new two years ago, good choice Mr. Brown. I will be interested to see if you like yours as much as I like mine, which is a lot. For the fretboard my local guitar tech recommended Watco Danish oil and if you don't mind a little name dropping he has some credibility as he was the Doobie Brother's guitar tech during their heydays. I chose dark walnut which darkened the baked maple wood a tad.

Let me know what you think of the tone with neck pickup selected, tone at 4 1/2 and your amp a bit on the bright side. I like the "punch" I get at those settings.

• Upvote 1

Thanks bad and evans

I did not realize the studio was different from the es339 .

Also i have seen one with the custom shop sticker on the back but i think wmachine covered that somewhere.

Yes jim i love the tone i get with the neck pickup on this studio 339.

I been using it with the middle position with both tones on 6 or 7 but with the neck turned down to 5 or 6. The memphis control circuit you still get the same tone out of the neck pick up even though it’s turned down to five and you also get the bite of the bridge pick up turned all the way up . Real nice

I have a rosewood fretboard on mine. Go figure 🤷‍♂️