Gibson Brands Forums

Nitrocellulose “repair” by friction?

leovan83

Hi guys,

I remember a few years ago, not sure if on this particular forum or a Les Paul specific forum, I remember having someone answering a question, which really helped me out. I had a 2009 Gibson LP Custom Silverburst which I bought brand new. One night while changing the strings, instead of removing them completely, I splitted then 3 to each side of the neck (while being almost completely loose) and I started piling the fretboard. The issue was that holding the strings at the sides with light pressure from my hand made them leave an indentation on the necks paint, and it drove me crazy.

A user suggested to use friction on the nitro as nitro will “re-arrange” or sort of “melt a little” with the heat provided by friction. He suggested I grabbed a cleaning cloth and rubbed the hell out of the neck area with the indentations repeatedly to creat friction and heat.

IT WORKED!!

It totally solved the issue and the lines disappeared within 30 minutes of rubbing, I remember the neck felt warm and even sort of sticky right after I was done and quickly cooled off and hardened, I guess.

I have a “new” problem with my 2014 Firebird. I accidentally made a chip on the headstock, a tiny little speck - it didn’t break the laquer or wood but it is noticeable in my eyes. I was wondering if you guys would suggest me trying to do the “friction” thing on this... will it be sort of the same? I definitely don’t wanna go the repair way, meaning, the sanding and stuff.

Thanks!!

You say it's a tiny little speck.

So why worry about it?

I have tiny little specs on most of my guitars.

Doesn't affect the tone or my playing ability at all.

In fact I kinda like them that way.

It makes them uniquely identifiable as MY guitars.

I guess what I'm trying to say is

maybe a repair in attitude might

work better than a repair on the headstock. 😁

Oh, I totally agree with the character ideas... however this particular guitar is the only one out of the other Gibsons I have (which are plenty dinged and “characterised” from live shows and stuff) stays at home all the time and I baby it, so I’d like to fix it.

A speck usually goes a little deeper into the finish and/or wood than line imprints do. It won't disappear lightly using the small of amount of heat rubbing will cause. However, if you think it's worth a shot and that you can't worsen the issue that way, such as scratching the surface or the like, then go for it.

Nitro finishes are beatiful to the touch and eye but ultimately fickle, and I wouldn't recommend using a greater heat force, such as a hairdryer. It will only cause more harm than good in the wrong hands.

If there is a dent in the wood that you want to get out, heat and moisture/steam will work but not through an intact finish. I'd just leave it.

Edit: I did talk to the Gibson repair dept once about a dent and they said they use superglue for very small dents/defects. I've never tried it.

Aside from guitar repairs, I have learned that when things in my house (or even sometimes the house itself) get little chips and such, a black Sharpie pen can do wonders. I'll give you an example ... when we moved to our current house, the movers dinged up all kinds of picture frames quite badly. After I hung them, my wife said that each and everyone looked horrible and would have to be replaced. She was right in that they did look bad. Most were black, but were some were deep red. A black Sharpie fixed every single one. I have done this on wood cabinets, furniture ... all kinds of things, really. It removes the obvious light wood from the ding that is contrasting with the dark finish it is supposed to have. As such, a black Sharpie can be very good at fixing "speck" issues -- I am not sure in this case, but maybe...

Aside from guitar repairs, I have learned that when things in my house (or even sometimes the house itself) get little chips and such, a black Sharpie pen can do wonders. I'll give you an example ... when we moved to our current house, the movers dinged up all kinds of picture frames quite badly. After I hung them, my wife said that each and everyone looked horrible and would have to be replaced. She was right in that they did look bad. Most were black, but were some were deep red. A black Sharpie fixed every single one. I have done this on wood cabinets, furniture ... all kinds of things, really. It removes the obvious light wood from the ding that is contrasting with the dark finish it is supposed to have. As such, a black Sharpie can be very good at fixing "speck" issues -- I am not sure in this case, but maybe...

Its a sort of dark natural wood colour, plus the thing is that it’s sort of indented.

Archived