Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton 2

delboywww

Hi All,

I am going to replace my pickups in my 1998 Sheraton 2 and was thinking about the Gibson 57 Classic ones. Should I fit a standard 57 Classic in the neck position and a 57 Classic Plus for the bridge or just fit both positions with the standard 57 Classics?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Del

I am not an expert in these matters but, I would go with the plus for the bridge. I love that combo,

Also, be sure the neck pickups would have a different ohms readout, they should have a bit more output than the bridge, to compensate the extra distance from the end point where the string meets the bridge. if they are both the same, the neck pickup will probably not blend well with the bridge pickup. but you probably know this already..

If I recall correctly, the original Gibson 335s had identical (including pole spacing) pickups at both positions, and they remained that way for many years. Only later did they get more specifoc. Just info to consider.

Personally, I'm believing more and more that pickups don't make all that much difference. YMMV

If I recall correctly, the original Gibson 335s had identical (including pole spacing) pickups at both positions, and they remained that way for many years. Only later did they get more specifoc. Just info to consider.

Personally, I'm believing more and more that pickups don't make all that much difference. YMMV

I don't think that was just 335s, but as time worked it's magic, the smart guys started to figure things out for the better.

Two pickups of the same type with slightly higher DC resistance on the bridge PU is the classic way. That's good for a choice between 3 tonal colors with more or less even output on either end.

A beefed up bridge PU is the more modern way, considerably more output on the bridge PU, for easier to achieve overdriven sounds.

From my experience pickups make all the difference. At least on amplifiers that really get the guitars own sound across the whole signal chain. For example take a Bad Cat Classic, simplest 20W 6V6 tube amp you can imagine, Volume, Tone, that's it. Then feed it with Gibson Classic 57 (CS ES-359), Gibson MHS humbuckers (CS ES-345), Duesenberg Grand Vintage humbucker (Fullerton), Epiphone Probucker (Bonamassa ES-355), Ibanez Super 58 (JSM100), Epiphone 50SR (Elite ES-335) etc., guitar all on 10, no pedals.

On paper all these pickups are more or less knockoffs of the famous Gibson P.A.F. pickups, the guitars are all similar ES type semi hollows with center block. But you would be surprised how much difference you hear from the different pickups, even when mounted in the same guitar.

Archived