Gibson Brands Forums

Does middle positon split coils on es 339

tom brown

If your volume goes down in the middle position and gets trebly... the pickups are out-of-phase with each other.

You will have to rotate the magnet in one of the pickups; unless you like the "Peter Green" tone of out-of-phase.

• 11 months later...

Hello,

This is the actual 339 that i have  (above) and I wanted to ask if anybody knows if these “57 “pick ups in this guitar or four wire or two wire.

I was told you could only split the coils on the Gibson 57 four wire pick ups but I’ve also read that the four wire pick ups are only sold in the aftermarket .

thanks

Yes only four wire pickups can be split, but it will have to be soldered to a push/pull-pot or other type of switch.  I'm almost certain your pickups are two wire. Easy way to find out is to take off the backplate to your pots, and see for yourself.

If the middle position is very thin sounding, it could be as mentioned above, that the pickups are out of phase. In that case, somebody probably did a mod as if it had that feature from factory, it would have been listed from the factory. Could it be a dodgy solder point?

Hello,

This is the actual 339 that i have  (above) and I wanted to ask if anybody knows if these “57 “pick ups in this guitar or four wire or two wire.

I was told you could only split the coils on the Gibson 57 four wire pick ups but I’ve also read that the four wire pick ups are only sold in the aftermarket .

thanks

• 10 months later...

I have this same problem.  Middle position sounds out of phase.  I bought a second set of EPI 339 power bucker pickups thinking there must have been a weird factory error on the original set, but the second set had the same problem.  And the way they mount the pups on this model is a total b*T@H.   Has anyone tried the magnet flip and gotten the desired result (full output, in phase while in middle switch position)?   Shame on Epiphone for shipping pickup sets like this.  Zero Quality Control.