Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a fake Gibson Les Paul?

sethen

Currently in talks with someone to trade my drum kit for a Gibson Les Paul. I have my reservations about it because I believe it might be a fake. I was hoping someone here can help me identify it if it's legit. Upon searching for something similar on Google, I can't find anything. I've attached the pictures.

It's my understanding that the back of the head stocks for the Les Paul's have serial numbers on them. This only has a "Billy Gibbons" signature of some sort.

post-99972-010438800 1554252633_thumb.jpg

post-99972-000004400 1554252638_thumb.jpg

post-99972-049567300 1554252676_thumb.jpg

post-99972-009544400 1554252697_thumb.jpg

I’m saying fake. No nibs on the frets, truss rod cover looks weird and the nut is fat looking to me - more so than a LP would have. Can’t see if the headstock has the “wings” as I call them which are the pieces on the side that are attached to the one-piece neck because that’s another giveaway to me. Look in the truss rod cavity if you want to further verify because this should be like a 5/16” nut... not sure in number but all the LPs I know about have the same truss rod nut. Either way keep your drums for now if you hoped to transform them into a LP.

yep agree a few red flags for sure.

not sure if I should go further, but I'd love to see what's under that truss rod cover (which looks very funky as well, but that's an easy part to replace with something not authentic)

unless your drum kit is worth -150 bucks, DON'T do it

Edited by kidblast

Truss rod cover can be replaced, and so can the nut. The nut looks off. The biggest things for me is the shape of the headstock, the Gibson logo, and the lack of a serial number that look off. The one you posted look a lot like these Chinese copies

• Upvote 1

Truss rod cover can be replaced, and so can the nut. The nut looks off. The biggest things for me is the shape of the headstock, the Gibson logo, and the lack of a serial number that look off. The one you posted look a lot like these Chinese copies

we all know it's fake, it's pretty clear.

just as a side note: We try to not point out a lot specifics, since it helps the crooks make better counterfeits! [thumbup]

• Upvote 2

Thanks a lot for everyone's help! I do believe this particular seller meant no ill intention. I don't think he knew it was a fake. I did turn over this thread to him so he could see everyone's responses. I am glad to know that my instinct was correct!

Thanks a lot for everyone's help! I do believe this particular seller meant no ill intention. I don't think he knew it was a fake. I did turn over this thread to him so he could see everyone's responses. I am glad to know that my instinct was correct!

Indeed, if it's disclosed for what it is, that's a different story, if it's NOT disclosed as a fake, or "unauthorized copy..." that's when it gets ugly

you did the right thing.. Always ASK first. It's really a shame that so many people get gaked with counterfeits.

Thank you so much for the friendly heads up. I'll keep it in mind. [thumbup]

I was surely hoping you would take that as just a friendly comment based on what has gone on here as a best practice for some years now when it comes to these kind of threads, I meant nothing more than that.

• Upvote 1