Gibson Brands Forums

Question about recently purchased 1980 Les Paul Custom

jmb79

I recently purchase an ebony 1980 Les Paul Custom with gold hardware. I have some questions about it.

The guitar has Seymour Duncan’s installed (JB bridge, /’59 neck) but the seller also provided the original T Top humbuckers. However, at some point in its life, someone removed the gold colored covers from the T Tops. I would like to reinstall the T Tops but with covers. I’ve found a few people selling older covers on Reverb but at fairly ridiculous prices (in my opinion, of course), and I have thought about buying some new covers and ageing them.

First question: will the gold humbucker covers currently sold under the Gibson name properly fit the 1980 (actual date stamped late 1979) T Tops?

Whoever installed the Seymour Duncan’s made a real mess of the soldering. That will need to be cleaned up as part of re-installing the T Tops. I notice that there is a metal sleeve in the switch cavity between the wood and open space in which the switch sits. My other Les Pauls, including relatively recent Custom, do not have a metal sleeve in the switch cavity.

Second question: is the sleeve something someone added to the guitar after it was first purchased or is it a part that was installed at the factory?

Thanks.

Thanks. Here are a couple photos that show what I think is a n extra metallic cylinder in the switch cavity. In one picture it has been pulled out a little bit so that you can see it better.

post-96886-092657800 1554343325_thumb.jpg

post-96886-037048900 1554343341_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation to check with Seymour Duncan. And yes, it the metal piece just sits there and doesn't do anything... shielding... hmmm, that could be it.

Thanks again.

Archived