Gibson Brands Forums: A Sad But True Cutting Corners Tale - Gibson Brands Forums

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Sad But True Cutting Corners Tale

#81 User is offline   rct 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:08 PM

View PostWmachine, on 11 April 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

I said nothing contrary to what you're saying and I did not say or imply anything you are asking about. I'm saying that Gibson is not getting intelligent feedback about what to offer. They are literally damned it they do and damned if they don't.

I agree.

rct

#82 User is offline   duane v 

• Advanced HACK!!!
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationsOcAL

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:15 PM

View Postpauloqs, on 11 April 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

[*]PCB wiring: Yes, it allows me to change pickups in 5 min or less, plus the coil tap, out of phase thing are useful and I don't hear a huge difference compared to traditional wiring. According to video I saw from an Amp manufacturer, I believe it was Blackstar, but I'm not 100% certain, PCB only makes a significant difference when if affects the distance between components. However, in the wiring of a guitar, I don't think the distance between components would be drastically different. The drawback is fixing a faulty parts. If you have a bad connection on a PCB, there is a smaller chance that it is fixable, relative to traditional wiring.
e the Nashville bridge, the Tektoid nut, the slightly bigger frets, and the rolled fretboard edges.

We've performed tons of testing on soldered leads versus connectors that address bending beams with strain-gages. And the science proves to us every time soldering provides the best results. Connectors would improve our tact-time on products during assembly processes, but signal stability and durability suffers.

But I'm with you on quick-change pickups, because I'm the worst solderer east of Japan..... They call me Mt. McSolder in the lab <_< [thumbup]

Deer Pr00dunce

#83 User is offline   Big Bill 

• Stink Finger Willie

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:31 AM

View Postduane v, on 11 April 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

We've performed tons of testing on soldered leads versus connectors that address bending beams with strain-gages. And the science proves to us every time soldering provides the best results. Connectors would improve our tact-time on products during assembly processes, but signal stability and durability suffers.

But I'm with you on quick-change pickups, because I'm the worst solderer east of Japan..... They call me Mt. McSolder in the lab Posted Image [thumbup]

I'm in the same camp. How big of a difference is there between the two? Myself, I cant tell the difference. Is it a difference that cannot be heard?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson ES 339 Memphis
Gretsch 2655 Streamliner
Fender American Performer Stratocaster
Fender 60s Baja Telecaster
Fender 12 String Acoustic
Fender Jazz Bass 1975 Reissue
Hofner Limited Edition Ed Sullivan Ignition Violin Bass
Seagull Excursion Grand Acoustic

#84 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• upstanding member
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:18 AM

But I'm with you on quick-change pickups, because I'm the worst solderer east of Japan..... They call me Mt. McSolder in the lab <_< [thumbup]

That's good to know. Well... its disappointing really, but I'm glad to have the truth is what I mean. Thank you!
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

#85 User is offline   duane v 

• Advanced HACK!!!
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationsOcAL

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:37 AM

View PostBig Bill, on 12 April 2019 - 05:31 AM, said:

I'm in the same camp. How big of a difference is there between the two? Myself, I cant tell the difference. Is it a difference that cannot be heard?

I had a 2009 SG that had the PCB setup and to be honest I couldn't hear a lick of difference from the standard wiring... [confused]

Deer Pr00dunce

#86 User is offline   pauloqs 

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:21 AM

View Postduane v, on 12 April 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

I had a 2009 SG that had the PCB setup and to be honest I couldn't hear a lick of difference from the standard wiring... [confused]

That's the same experience I had with a friend's LP Classic. He asked me to change his PCB to traditional wiring and we both couldn't hear any significant difference. Not claiming that he or I have outstanding hearing, but to our ears it didn't make a difference.

#87 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Uncle Meat
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:48 PM

pauloqs, on 12 April 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

That's the same experience I had with a friend's LP Classic. He asked me to change his PCB to traditional wiring and we both couldn't hear any significant difference. Not claiming that he or I have outstanding hearing, but to our ears it didn't make a difference.

If your hearing is so good you can hear the difference between a signal going through a foil run on a PCB vs regular wire you are good.

I changed out the PCB to conventional wiring on an SG I had. Same. I could hear no difference, but I'm sure the wiring purist could.

This post has been edited by FZ Fan: 12 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

#88 User is offline   MichaelT 

• Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:24 PM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 09 April 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

Hi @pauloqs,
This OP had this doozy of an 11-page thread about a couple years back:
http://forum.gibson...._1#entry1869526
I knew when I saw this OP and the title, it was going to be good Posted Image When I first joined this forum, this was the thread that took center stage so to speak. I like to think of it as a first impression in the USA section of the forum.

Oh dear, not that moron again. Trolls are so cute.

#89 User is offline   Black Dog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

To me the most important difference is repairs. If something goes wrong with traditional wiring, it's fairly easy and inexpensive to diagnose and fix, and parts are readily available.

#90 User is offline   mdmoore255 

• LocationLagrange Georgia

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:45 PM

Waiting for OP to show up and stir the hornets nest again

This post has been edited by mdmoore255: 12 April 2019 - 03:45 PM

#91 User is offline   pauloqs 

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:09 PM

View PostBlack Dog, on 12 April 2019 - 02:50 PM, said:

To me the most important difference is repairs. If something goes wrong with traditional wiring, it's fairly easy and inexpensive to diagnose and fix, and parts are readily available.

That's the main advantage of traditional wiring I see as well.

#92 User is offline   jdgm 

• Now's The Time!
  • LocationIt's nice to be anywhere

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:37 PM

View PostBig Bill, on 11 April 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

...and break...

Mais non mon vieux! [biggrin] [biggrin]

Well not so far...in well over 30 years - but then it has tapewounds which I don't change for years anyway.
I'm careful with any archtop.

Good thread BTW [thumbup]

This post has been edited by jdgm: 12 April 2019 - 05:38 PM

#93 User is offline   Eracer_Team 

• More Gear than Talent

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:30 AM

Granted the neck thickness is very thin the more back angle you have, but I'm not so certain the number of broken Headstocks that Ed Roman claims there are as founded.

If I rearend a car at 10mph I'm surely going to sustain some sort of car damage.

Same thing with your guitar,
If it whacks a wall or floor, or you fall off stage, there's a chance of damage to any guitar.

This post has been edited by Eracer_Team: 13 April 2019 - 07:32 AM

#94 User is offline   badbluesplayer 

• ZIPPER CLUBBER
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:54 AM

The thing that's not too good about the pcb wiring in the new LP standards is that the board is wired fifties style with treble bleeds. I don't remember if the treble bleeds can be switched out. So if you want regular old sixties wiring there's no way you can get that without replacing the board. At some point they're going to try to sell Sixties Tributes with fifties wiring and I'm not sure that's going to fly. Somebody at Gibson decided that fifties wiring was the way it was going to be, back when they were jamming everything down the customers' throats. They probably ought to reevaluate that along with all the other megalomaniacal decisions that they made a few years ago. I think they'd need another dip switch in there to switch between 50's & 60's wiring.

Anyway, my info is that they are really changing stuff quickly. Let's hope they have the sense to restructure the model lines so they're not trying to sell you stuff you don't want. Like my 2019 Les Paul, that I had to rewire so it would be wired like a normal Les Paul. Something's not right with that.

TENNESSEE AMPLIFIER COMPANY

#95 User is offline   01GT eibach 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:46 PM

... I'm the worst solderer east of Japan..... They call me Mt. McSolder in the lab

I think that may be your problem. There in "SoCal", you are actually WEST of Japan. That being said, I recently saw the 2018 consolidated solder rankings for WORST SOLDER and I was number one, with YOU being only a distant second...
[scared]
"Laughing out loud with fear and hope, I have a desperate plan..."

#96 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:07 PM

View Postmdmoore255, on 12 April 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

Waiting for OP to show up and stir the hornets nest again

He probably actually went and done some reading and realised just how utterly WRONG he is about everything.. Mid life crisis maybe?
"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

#97 User is offline   Big Bill 

• Stink Finger Willie

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:17 AM

View PostRabs, on 14 April 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

He probably actually went and done some reading and realised just how utterly WRONG he is about everything.. Mid life crisis maybe?

Did obviously being WRONG in the past stop him from stirring up a hornets nest? I think it's a medication issue myself.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson ES 339 Memphis
Gretsch 2655 Streamliner
Fender American Performer Stratocaster
Fender 60s Baja Telecaster
Fender 12 String Acoustic
Fender Jazz Bass 1975 Reissue
Hofner Limited Edition Ed Sullivan Ignition Violin Bass
Seagull Excursion Grand Acoustic

#98 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:58 AM

View PostBig Bill, on 15 April 2019 - 06:17 AM, said:

Did obviously being WRONG in the past stop him from stirring up a hornets nest? I think it's a medication issue myself.

Maybe.. I just wanted to make sure that I stated just how WRONG he was (is)...

:D

This post has been edited by Rabs: 15 April 2019 - 08:58 AM

"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

#99 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:32 PM

View Postpippy, on 07 April 2019 - 03:59 AM, said:

Both.

P.

Hey Pip...

Could you please empty your mailbox a bit..

Cheers.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users