Gibson Brands Forums

2019 Gibson - what’s going on?

SouthpawMark

A couple of months ago I ordered a leftie 2019 SG HP. A few days ago the shop called me to say they now wouldn’t be able to fulfil the order as Gibson had changed their 2019 line-up. This seems like as good a place as any to ask what on earth is going on with the 2019 line-up, and most importantly, what are they actually going to offer in leftie when they finally get around to deciding what 2019 V2 is going to look like?

Gibson filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy.. Last year they got new management.. The new management have decided to change some things around. Mostly that they are no longer doing yearly models, so what they release this year as 2019s Mk2 will always be in the line up. They should be coming out quite soon, I guess they are waiting a bit to sell the old 2019s off.

Edited by Rabs
  • Upvote 1

1554662036[/url]' post='1986081']

Perhaps try a different store? The Gibson website shows the 2019 SG HP to be purchasable for lefties as well.

Good idea... Sweetwater has the lefty SG HPs in stock right now, in both colors even! ;)

I just bought a new SG standard and it is the nicest guitar I own. They seem to have got it right this year - previous models I'd picked up over the past few years never quite hit all the right spots but this one did.

I hope they do stop the '20xx Model' - they aren't cars - I like the idea of a consistent performer, it shouldn't matter if the guitar is this year's model or last years.

Sorry - I am such a lurker - first post in ages, thank you.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like where they are going personally. SG Standards for $1500, plain-top LP Classics for $2000, LP Standards for $2500, and the LP Modern for $2800.

The SG Junior and SG Standard are both $1500 which does make a lot of sense ... but they will figure it out.

[thumbup]

I’ve got a 2019 SG Special in Sparkling Burgandy on lay away. Can’t wait to pick it up. I now see they’re doing a Les Paul Special in TV Yellow too. These guitars were pretty much only available from the custom shop with those vintage specs. No PCBs, stop tail pieces, I like where they’re going! My wallet probably wont though.

Just having a look at the range for the first time - looks good. Prices much more reasonable. Range of LPs could stand some trimming and will probably get it as stuff is phased out. Probably should have at least one Firebird on offer. but yeah, pretty good though! [thumbup]

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2019 at 12:25 AM, glp4me@gmail.co said:

Just wanted to say that I just purchased an SG Standard '61 2019 3days ago... AWESOME guitar out of the box/case!! I've always leaned towards my Les Pauls, but I'm thinking I have a new #1. These guys are BACK and have their %#it together! Great Job GIBSON!

Yes, GIBSON is back, although IMO that has been since 2016. But at least, now, Senor Henry J. is gone and with that, the chance of screwing things up now seem less likely.

Since 2016 I have averaged a few new GIBSON STANDARDS/YEAR, and all of them are EXCELLENT Guitars. the 2017 & 2019 'SG' & Les Paul  Standards especially.