Gibson Brands Forums

Ground issue?

I have a 2018 SG Faded I got new recently on close out. It has a humm in it that goes away when I touch the bridge. Makes me think it isn't grounded well. Any thoughts on this? I am a bit spoiled on hum and feedback since my cheap fixer uppers I shielded them inside with copper tape and made sure of continuity of ground going to the shielding.

I have a 2018 SG Faded I got new recently on close out. It has a humm in it that goes away when I touch the bridge. Makes me think it isn't grounded well. Any thoughts on this? I am a bit spoiled on hum and feedback since my cheap fixer uppers I shielded them inside with copper tape and made sure of continuity of ground going to the shielding.

First thing to do to verify if you do have the bridge grounded is to use a multi-meter and measure resistance - hopefully see ~0 Ohms (very low resistance, i.e. couple Ohms give or take) read out. Probe the bridge and use the other probe on something you 100% know is continuous with the "ground" plane. Sometimes, you can use the input jack which has a ground connection. Figure out if this is the case, then the discussion past "I have the bridge grounded" advances here. Start with the simple things first then start to dig in if necessary.

First thing to do to verify if you do have the bridge grounded is to use a multi-meter and measure resistance - hopefully see ~0 Ohms (very low resistance, i.e. couple Ohms give or take) read out. Probe the bridge and use the other probe on something you 100% know is continuous with the "ground" plane. Sometimes, you can use the input jack which has a ground connection. Figure out if this is the case, then the discussion past "I have the bridge grounded" advances here. Start with the simple things first then start to dig in if necessary.

I haven't had a chance to check it with a meter yet but I will! Does Gibson run a ground wire to the Bridge? I know some of the lower cost brands have a hit or miss ground system. Some have a wire placed to where the bridge post barrel just might make contact with the wire. I first learned about the importance of grounding and shielding on my cheap Strats.

I haven't had a chance to check it with a meter yet but I will! Does Gibson run a ground wire to the Bridge? I know some of the lower cost brands have a hit or miss ground system. Some have a wire placed to where the bridge post barrel just might make contact with the wire. I first learned about the importance of grounding and shielding on my cheap Strats.

There would be no way to ground the bridge if there wasn't a wire connecting the bridge to the ground plane... It is usually buried underneath the posts as you described. There is a small channel in the control cavity that should lead to a region that resides underneath one of the posts - probably the post closest to the control cavity. There is a bare wire that simply runs in there and makes contact with the bottom of the post. Either way, just check with the meter and figure out if the bridge is continuous with the ground plane of your guitar. If it is not, then you night have to mess with the post or get someone who you trust to make it continuous with ground... But without your test, we do not even know if we have to go there yet.

• 2 weeks later...

There would be no way to ground the bridge if there wasn't a wire connecting the bridge to the ground plane... It is usually buried underneath the posts as you described. There is a small channel in the control cavity that should lead to a region that resides underneath one of the posts - probably the post closest to the control cavity. There is a bare wire that simply runs in there and makes contact with the bottom of the post. Either way, just check with the meter and figure out if the bridge is continuous with the ground plane of your guitar. If it is not, then you night have to mess with the post or get someone who you trust to make it continuous with ground... But without your test, we do not even know if we have to go there yet.

I checked the ground a while back but forgot to get back on here to report it. The meter says its grounded input negative to bridge.. Maybe I'm used to my shielded project guitars with a copper tape cavity shield every where. Which started out on single coil Strats that really needed it. They are dead quiet compared to stock. Strats also have wire soldered to the Tremolo

I assume you have checked the ground wire that is soldered to the top of each volume and tone control pot. One came loose on my LP custom bridge PU volume control pot and caused similar buzzing. A simple re-solder fixed it.