Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to identify special II

I have just bought this guitar for my 10 year old to learn on and would like to know more about it and maybe download the manual.

It was sold to me as an SG but I don't think it is.

Can you help?

Serial number SJ04081344

post-100153-093925300 1554986331_thumb.jpg

post-100153-096513300 1554986341_thumb.jpg

Edited by pgrbff

I have just bought this guitar for my 10 year old to learn on and would like to know more about it and maybe download the manual.

It was sold to me as an SG but I don't think it is.

Can you help?

Serial number SJ04081344

post-100153-093925300 1554986331_thumb.jpg

post-100153-096513300 1554986341_thumb.jpg

That is an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, not an SG. They sell for about $199 USD new. Good starter guitar.

http://www.epiphone....Special-II.aspx

Many thanks. It was described as an SG Special, would that have cost more? Have I been misled?

A epiphone sg special runs about $179, both models are really low end. If they told you it was an SG they were either misleading you or they did not know. This is a SG special

https://www.musician...ASABEgI-xfD_BwE

Did you buy it new or used? and how much did you pay? if you don't mind me asking.

Edited by old guy

If it’s a better guitart I don’t mind. It was purchased on eBay so I could complain but it is used and seems in good shape so maybe best to keep it.

My son likes it and that is the important thing.

Again, thanks for your help.

If it's a better guitart I don't mind. It was purchased on eBay so I could complain but it is used and seems in good shape so maybe best to keep it.

My son likes it and that is the important thing.

Again, thanks for your help.

it is a good model to learn on and he should not out grow it for a few years. I started my boys on a lesser model, but after a year of playing then they were wanting better ones, then better. It gets to be a really expensive hobby. Best of luck to him with learning and keep it fun, just don't do tons of book work. There are thousands of people giving free tutorials on youtube so any song he wants to learn, someone has a video on how to play it.