• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

fingerpicks recommendations?

#1 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• upstanding member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 14 April 2019 - 04:19 AM

I don't use them, but have tried several over the years (I do use thumbpicks). I dont get along with Alaska ones.

I'd like to try out some more again. Recommendations anyone?

There are a few types now that look strange and unfamiliar like these

Posted Image

I have no idea what those would be like!
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

#2 User is offline   Leonard McCoy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:06 AM

You don't like to, well, fingerpick with just your fingers?

This post has been edited by Leonard McCoy: 14 April 2019 - 05:38 AM

2018 Gibson J-180 (Everly)
2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony
2004 Fender 50th Anniversary American Deluxe Stratocaster
2002 Gibson "Goldtone" GA-15RV
1990 Ovation Legend L717 (A-bracing)

Finely transcribed Cat Stevens Guitar Tabs (fan project)

"Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history
was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."—Jol Dantzig, founder of Hamer Guitars

#3 User is offline   zombywoof 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:01 AM

I have tried every fingerpick under the sun over the past 55 years. And yeah, I have tried those Butterfly picks or whatever they call them. I ended up having to wrap rubber bands around them to keep them on and now they sit in a box with all of the others I have discarded. About the best I have found are the Propik Freedom Tone and the Alaska Piks the tips of both which sit under your nails.

There is one pick though which is fairly new to the market which I have not yet tried.. They are called Perfect Touch. They were supposedly invented by a player who also could never make peace with a fingerpick. They do look interesting. I am figuring they might be worth a try but just have not gotten around to ordering a set yet.

https://www.perfecttouchpicks.com/

"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White

#4 User is offline   scriv58 

• Advanced Member
  • Locationsouthern illinois

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:12 AM

I have tried many different types of fingerpicks- most were used only a few minutes. The pic you posted is one of the sets that i have tried. I even have a $40 (!?) Blue Chip thumbpick i bought 4 or 5 years ago with less than 15 minutes of play on it. As with strings, i find that recommendations helped me discover items previously unknown to me, but buying and trying is the only way to know for sure. My pick (insert rimshot here) is Dunlop clear plastic finger and thumb picks, fashioned to perfectly fit each tip. Best wishes on your search.

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   billroy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:39 AM

View PostLeonard McCoy, on 14 April 2019 - 05:06 AM, said:

I second this, although you sacrifice volume I can still get what I need (especially w/ a mic or p'up). I feel it's just plain easier to stick with the fingers (not long fingernails either). Probably lots of reasons why this doesn't work, but I say simpler is better...
'18 Gibson J45, vintage
'86 Guild D25
'00 Fender Strat (American Standard)
'90 Fender Strat (Korea, bought in an open market in Korea... yeah it might be real)
'68 Gibson SG
'17 Several 3 String CBGs

"Want people to listen to your stuff, don't play boring stuff..." heard somewhere.

#6 User is offline   QuestionMark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:42 AM

I’ve been using a clear pointy Dunlop thumbpick and three metal Dunlop fingerpicks (.20, .20, .25 sizes) for years and years. The three metal fingerpicks can be shaped to one’s fingers and their angle to the strings can also be shaped.
(Note: The fingerpicks are worn so their picking part is on the opposite side of the nail.). I have been wearing this combination so long, I do not even notice they are on my fingers and thumb.

Just my experience.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

This post has been edited by QuestionMark: 14 April 2019 - 07:44 AM

#7 User is offline   zombywoof 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:55 AM

By the way, John Pearce has issued a second run of his copies of the National "Old White" thumbpicks. The JP picks were almost impossible to get over the past years as the first run sold out fairly quickly. It is good to see them back in production.

This post has been edited by zombywoof: 14 April 2019 - 10:55 AM

Bukka White

#8 User is offline   Hall 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationRabbit Hash, Ky.

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:19 PM

View Postbillroy, on 14 April 2019 - 07:39 AM, said:

I second this, although you sacrifice volume I can still get what I need (especially w/ a mic or p'up). I feel it's just plain easier to stick with the fingers (not long fingernails either). Probably lots of reasons why this doesn't work, but I say simpler is better...

I third it. Have preferred my own nails since it all began.
"The empty vessel makes the loudest sound." w.s.

#9 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• upstanding member
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:40 PM

View PostLeonard McCoy, on 14 April 2019 - 05:06 AM, said:

Most of the time I have to, because my nails break easily. My nails get worse the older I get. I used to build them up with varnish and tissue paper, but it just occurred to me to try fingerpicks again. There are new ones out there.

I will try the Dunlop brass 20s and see how they feel. I have used the clear ones (but the pictured ones here look a different design).
Propik Freedom Tone is noted. Thanks. Someone on The Fretboard forum suggested these too.
The perfecttouch set would be the last option . They look interesting and great quality, but I wouldn't want to order the wrong size or type and have to re-order more at $50 a set.

Thanks for the responses guys. Very helpful!
my band BLOWN OUT

#10 User is offline   tpbiii 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:13 PM

View Postzombywoof, on 14 April 2019 - 06:01 AM, said:

I have tried every fingerpick under the sun over the past 55 years. And yeah, I have tried those Butterfly picks or whatever they call them. I ended up having to wrap rubber bands around them to keep them on and now they sit in a box with all of the others I have discarded. About the best I have found are the Propik Freedom Tone and the Alaska Piks the tips of both which sit under your nails.

There is one pick though which is fairly new to the market which I have not yet tried.. They are called Perfect Touch. They were supposedly invented by a player who also could never make peace with a fingerpick. They do look interesting. I am figuring they might be worth a try but just have not gotten around to ordering a set yet.

https://www.perfecttouchpicks.com/

We have a similar story, but for more than 60 years. Lord knows how many different styles I have tried -- I use them on guitar and banjo both.
I started out in the early 60s strumming with a flat pick and finger picking bare handed. Later we went over entirely to totally acoustic music, and for many such applications bare fingers were not good enough. I started using banjo style finger picks on the guitar.
I never gave up bare finger style -- we have a lot of pre war jewels that fit that approach. But for strong traditional stuff, that style gets buried. You can always plug in or play into a mic -- but that styles has no interest for us. It is not the same music.
Here is what I mostly use now.
Posted Image

Posted Image
You can get cheap acceptable versions of this from China if you can wait a week or two.

Let's pick,
-Tom

This post has been edited by tpbiii: 14 April 2019 - 02:15 PM

Never criticize a musician until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then you will be a mile away and you will have his shoes.

#11 User is offline   zombywoof 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:40 PM

I would love to learn to chicken pick. I know some guys who are great at it. It should be a natural for me as for whatever reason I use my middle finger a whole lot more than my first finger which theoretically frees that finger up to grasp a flatpick. But it just confuses me.

Bukka White

#12 User is offline   billroy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 April 2019 - 04:37 PM

View Postmerciful-evans, on 14 April 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

Most of the time I have to, because my nails break easily. My nails get worse the older I get. I used to build them up with varnish and tissue paper, but it just occurred to me to try fingerpicks again. There are new ones out there.

Could you play with just your fingertips, not even your nails - or would that still bother them?
'18 Gibson J45, vintage
'86 Guild D25
'00 Fender Strat (American Standard)
'90 Fender Strat (Korea, bought in an open market in Korea... yeah it might be real)
'68 Gibson SG
'17 Several 3 String CBGs

"Want people to listen to your stuff, don't play boring stuff..." heard somewhere.

#13 User is offline   tpbiii 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:57 PM

View Postzombywoof, on 14 April 2019 - 03:40 PM, said:

I would love to learn to chicken pick. I know some guys who are great at it. It should be a natural for me as for whatever reason I use my middle finger a whole lot more than my first finger which theoretically frees that finger up to grasp a flatpick. But it just confuses me.

I can't quite make it happen. I can flat pick using the bumblebee if I leave the index free -- I have to hold it with the thumb and index to feel right. Then I can do 1 finger style with thumb with middle -- a lot of famous players did that. Both styles are ok -- but nether is as good as if the other wasn't there.
Maybe later.
Best,
-Tom

Never criticize a musician until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then you will be a mile away and you will have his shoes.

#14 User is offline   MissouriPicker 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndependence, Missouri

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:08 PM

Over the years I've tried numerous times to get used to fingerpicks, but after maybe a couple of days of using them and not using them, I give-up and return to just using my fingertips/nails. I've always used a thumbpick, but fingerpicks (and I've tried pretty much all of them) just don't feel right on my fingers. With fingerpicks, I don't know where my fingers are. Without them I know where my fingers are and can grab whatever string I need. Chances are I never give using them enough time, but i just don't have the patience. Anyway, I do kind of envy folks who are great with fingerpicks.........except for banjo players. Banjos are already too loud.
YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.c...er?feature=mhee
http://www.reverbnat...om/larrygarrett

Gibsons J45TV, Hummingbird, Dove, Southern Jumbo Mystic, Advanced Jumbo Rosewood
Advanced Jumbo Koa, J100 Walnut
Alvarez MFA66CE Masterworks OM/Folk
Martin X Series 2016 D12X1AE Dreadnought 12-String
Regal 1944 Parlor Guitar
LAG Nylon Stringed
Oahu 1941 Squareneck Parlor Guitar
Yamaha YPG-535MM Keyboard
and a herd of ukes, banjos, strumsticks, harmonicas and dulcimers,
making me a "jack of all trades and master of none."

#15 User is offline   Versatile 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:28 AM

Personal journey started with fingers on nylon strings

Plectrum and fingers on Gibson SG

Fingers on steel strung 6 and 12 string acoustics.....:blink:

Currently settled on fingers on nylon strings....thumb pick and 3rd finger pick on 6 and 12 string acoustics

Dunlop white and clear plastic L thumb pick plus same finger pick

For some guitars and banjo with closer string to body spacing I file the thumb pick down to avoid hitting the top/vellum....

Pick Wisely and Often....:-({|=

V

:-({|=
Fiddling at the Pearly Gates...………..............or somewhere Lower and Warmer

I like kayaking....it really floats my boat....

I dig most stuff....

Etre en Passant.....just passing through (chess player)……..

#16 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• upstanding member
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:47 AM

View PostVersatile, on 15 April 2019 - 01:28 AM, said:

Personal journey started with fingers on nylon strings

Plectrum and fingers on Gibson SG

Fingers on steel strung 6 and 12 string acoustics.....:blink:

Currently settled on fingers on nylon strings....thumb pick and 3rd finger pick on 6 and 12 string acoustics

Dunlop white and clear plastic L thumb pick plus same finger pick

For some guitars and banjo with closer string to body spacing I file the thumb pick down to avoid hitting the top/vellum....

Pick Wisely and Often....:-({|=

V

:-({|=

Yes, I would only ever use bare fingers on nylon.
It really the steel strung flat top I'm considering for this. I use all 4 fingers to pick with.
my band BLOWN OUT

#17 User is offline   QuestionMark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:28 AM

As a longtime user of Dunlop thumbpicks and fingerpicks, I thought it worthwhile to mention out respect that the founder of Dunlop products, Jim Dunlop passed away earlier this year.

His influence on my guitar playing as well as many others’ through his products was significant. May his memory be a blessing.

I learned of it through Vintage Guitar Magazine.

Just thought it appropriate to mention.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

This post has been edited by QuestionMark: 15 April 2019 - 07:29 AM

#18 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:41 AM

Don't waste your money on these. I can tell you from first hand experience. I thought I'd try them and they totally suck. I'd offer to send them to you but I was so disgusted with wasting the 20 bucks on them that I tossed em out.

they come sized to fit a child. and after you try to adjust them to fit, they tend get all messed up, but after you finally make them fit, you find, they are garbage. Waste of time and money.

use what the good lord gave ya..
your fingers...
/Ray

#19 User is offline   tpbiii 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:50 AM

View PostMissouriPicker, on 14 April 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

Over the years I've tried numerous times to get used to fingerpicks, but after maybe a couple of days of using them and not using them, I give-up and return to just using my fingertips/nails. I've always used a thumbpick, but fingerpicks (and I've tried pretty much all of them) just don't feel right on my fingers. With fingerpicks, I don't know where my fingers are. Without them I know where my fingers are and can grab whatever string I need. Chances are I never give using them enough time, but i just don't have the patience. Anyway, I do kind of envy folks who are great with fingerpicks.........except for banjo players. Banjos are already too loud.

So I guess this would not be you idea of heaven? Maybe the other place.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Best,-Tom

#20 User is offline   Tekboy 

• LocationFl

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:08 AM

I used to play in an acoustic thing with two other guitarists, and it is, by far the best band I ever played with. One of those two guys would hold a pick between his middle and ring fingers, and finger pick at the same time, to much positive reaction from anyone listening. While the group was basically focused on vocal harmony, that guy sure could play.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users