Gibson Brands Forums

1960’s Cherry Red

JuanCarlosVejar

As far as I know, the cherry red finish first shows up on a few electrics in 1958 but does not become standard until maybe 1960. As far as I know Gibson did not start using that finish on stock acoustics until around 1968. Color catalogs do start appearing in the mid-1960s so even if you do not find the color on an acoustic it would adorn a number of electrics. If Gibson was still using Forbes/PPG lacquer into the 1960s (which I do not know was the case or not) you could try and go that route for color charts and such.

Here is a link to a 1968 catalog. While to shows no acoustics in cherry red there are a bunch of electrics with that finish.

http://vintage.catalogs.free.fr/gibson3.pdf

Edited by zombywoof

Theoretically, the first cherry red ES-335's were in 1960, but apparently there may be a few with 1959 serial numbers. That makes my cherry red '59 ES-335 Historic a bit of a unicorn.

When Gibson re-topped my old 1950 J-45 in 1968, it came back with a red and yellow cherryburst that would make your eyeballs fall out. I hated it, so I stripped it off a couple of years later and re-shot the top with clear nitro. It lived as a J-50 until it was stripped again in 2010 and went back to something approximating its original 1950 standard 'burst.

I have never warmed to cherry red on an acoustic either as a stand-alone color, or as part of a cherryburst. On the other hand, the very faded 60's cherryburst Hummingbirds and J-45's look really, really nice some 50 years later. Not much cherry in them, thanks to Gibson's use of unstable red dye in those years.

Maybe I should have left the old J-45 alone.

Theoretically, the first cherry red ES-335's were in 1960, but apparently there may be a few with 1959 serial numbers. That makes my cherry red '59 ES-335 Historic a bit of a unicorn.

One cherry red ES-335 was apparently made at the very end of 1958. I once ran across an article about it which did list the serial number and what store it was sent to.

"When Gibson re-topped my old 1950 J-45 in 1968, it came back with a red and yellow cherryburst that would make your eyeballs fall out. I hated it, so I stripped it off a couple of years later and re-shot the top with clear nitro. It lived as a J-50 until it was stripped again in 2010 and went back to. . . "

Maybe I should have left the old J-45 alone.

With any thinning the top might've had, it is what it is, and it's sound tells the tale of it's history.

I recently ran across an old catalog in the archives, JC- I'll don the miner's lamp & take a look.

Thank You to all who have contributed to this thread.

I’m going to be talk to the guys at Fuller’s for a 30th birthday Gibson acoustic. I’ve narrowed ithe finishes down to 2 colors one being Cherry Red.

Here’s the cherry sample from the M2M catalogue (for acoustics) against the cherry EB2 bass in the 68 catalogue provided above:

F3EFA004-1115-4AB9-A351-F4F95307CEC5_zpscvcbumy4.jpeg

Pretty spot on to my eyes at least.

I’m thinking either Firebird Custom Acoustic w/Rosewood F/B.

Or a J 200 Junior.

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar

Ou, , , have to say I read it as cherryburst(s).

And thought into the various hues and qualities of pigment (rumor has it that 1964 offered a weak, not very sun-resistant red).

But JVC - are you telling us you are about to custom order again. And this time could be aiming at the humongous Firebird.

As far as I know Gibson did not start using that finish on stock acoustics until around 1968.

Guess it must have been the last batch of slope J-45's or. .

I know some square versions came with the dark red combined with yellow. That of course would have been up in 69.

Ou, , , have to say I read it as cherryburst(s).

And thought into the various hues and qualities of pigment (rumor has it that 1964 offered a weak, not very sun-resistant red).

But JVC - are you telling us you are about to custom order again. And this time could be aiming at the humongous Firebird.

Guess it must have been the last batch of slope J-45's or. .

I know some square versions came with the dark red combined with yellow. That of course would have been up in 69.

The last Gibson I purchased was in 2017 a NOS model from Fuller’s.

This will be my first custom order in a while.

I’m not a big guy (about 5”8) but since I do most of my playing sitting down the large bodies like the super jumbos or dreadnoughts feel pretty good to me.

I don’t own anything in a custom color yet so this would be a first.

The Firebird just has that extra bit of flash that I think would be a great way to celebrate 30 years of age.

JC

The Firebird just has that extra bit of flash that I think would be a great way to celebrate 30 years of age.

Definitely would.

I have a conventional ex here. Was over-pale when it came, but is slowly gettin' the warmer tan.

It's a huge guitar soundwise, but you probably know. Very very good and not like the also excellent Dove at all.

If you keep the burgundy-hue on the quilted back'n'sides and put on a cherry top you'll get a lot of personality home.

Picture all the green flamery and the rising Bird Phoenix on that background. Heavy stuff.

I for 1 look forward to see it.