Gibson Brands Forums

Checked a dream guitar off the list

AngelDeVille

I have always wanted a Wilshire, and was eyeballing some MIJ 70’s models, and the newer models.

The newer models had a really fugly 6 inline tuner headstock, but had some models with nice looking but goofy vibrolas.

The MIJ 70’s models were decent but the nicer ones I could find were sunburst, and I just can’t bring myself to get a sunburst, but they had nice 3x3 headstocks. I wasn’t sure of the quality of electronics on these, and I wouldn’t want to modify them.

Then I came across this... it’s some dudes signature model, Frank Iero, from “My Chemical Romance”. I don’t think it’s my style of music, but the guitar is.

It looks like it has some decent alnico pickups and a 6 position varitone switch, and a kill switch.

I got it for an alright price, but I’m pretty sure I won’t have to modify anything.. and I like the color.

Here’s the epiphone page.... Guitar specs

This is the best demo I could find...

4-F858401-DD67-492-C-8-D2-D-D2-BE8-F1-C0-B11.jpg

• Upvote 1

I like it... Wilshire's and Coronet's have always had a soft spot for me.... [thumbup]

I think if the SG hadn’t come along, I’d have a metric buttload of crestlines, et275’s, coronets and Wilshires..... and I still might....

This is one of the few guitars that is distinctive Epiphone, and not just a Gibson copy.

I’m excited to try out the varitone, the only other guitar I had seen with one was the “hawk” guitars and those don’t appeal to me.

I think my sons mcokingbird has something similar, but I haven’t messed with it too much.

Ups said it would be here Friday, but I’m not sure I believe that.

Edited by AngelDeVille
  • Upvote 1

My first new Epiphone was a 64 Coronet with the batwing headstock 6x, they seem to call them silver fox now, but I just called it green.. I bought another one in a pawn shop in 78 for $50... Wish I had them now...

I really hope Epiphone builds more of the old solid body designs.. Any way enjoy your Wilshire, I'm really envious...

Edited by mihcmac
  • Upvote 1

Well she did arrive today!

I need to dress the fret ends, the action was set by a drunk 4 year old, and the truss rod was overtightened, but so far so good.

I ran out of my regular strings so I’m doing a drive by set up for now.

I added strap locks and a fender amp knob, and I may try to find a white chicken head knob for the varitone.

I’ll try to plug her in tonight if I have time... [thumbup]

20190419-164343-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

So plugged her in, the neck pickup was easy to get clean but didn't dirty up well without boost.

Bridge pickup dirtied easy, but didn't clean up as well.

Still have more fiddling to do, but I like the pickups.

The kill switch spring is too stiff, so I'll see if I can pop it open and cut some coils. If not I think I have a spare.