Gibson Brands Forums: NGD - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NGD Warning: Taylor Content

#21 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8171
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:08 PM

Yes, I did think it was a bit peculiar, all this pleasantry.... [mellow]

Thoughts so far...early, early days:

I don’t think J45 type buyers would like it, unless they want a slope shoulder with a nice pickup...totally different sound than a J45 with bass thump - more concerned would be Lowden F size buyers who want a nice pickup to plug straight in, or current Taylor owners who want a guitar less bright. The guitar is designed to have even string balance like all the 00/000/OM sounds....fingerpicking is easier without having to allow for extra bass like a D28. No flab.

And if I like the neck, to me it is a fab design, not a lot of skinny neck likers will. This Builder’s Edition neck is chunkier than normal Taylors with a ‘compound’ neck cut with a smooth V in the first positions that transitions to a fat C up higher. 1 3/4” nut or I wouldn’t have bought it.

There are no shortage of promo videos, including some at Music Villa.


BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 21 April 2019 - 05:10 PM

0

#22 User is offline   scriv58 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 436
  • Joined: 16-December 14
  • Locationsouthern illinois

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:31 PM

View PostMurph, on 21 April 2019 - 05:13 AM, said:

Rosewood and ebony ?

What a great idea.

[thumbup]




It is a great idea- Gibson has produced runs of j45 rosewood models with ebony, and i have a Martin jumbo and a Whipple Creek om, both of which have rosewood b/s with ebony bridge and fretboard.
Nice looking Taylor, the youtube samples have sounded very good, not like that shrill crinkly tinny-ness I usually associate with Taylor.
0

#23 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8171
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

Yes, they make one with Mahogany as well, but I went Rosewood because........there isn’t much Rosewood in my house, and I liked the tone on the videos a bit better. This was a fairly heavily researched buy and I knew way more about the guitar than most, except I hadn’t actually played one! [wink]

The shop I bought it from had possibly one other higher price guitar in their acoustic room, a full gloss abalone laden Taylor GA. Mine was next to it. And there was a wall of the local Cole Clarks, a wall of local Matons, a couple of cheaper model Martins and a lot of ‘no names’ they sell to their music students.

I had practiced all morning, arrived at the music shop with a head of steam from negotiating the roads, asked to play mine and stopped in my tracks at the feel of the neck for a moment, then charged through a few different guitar styles, asked for a capo, played the other $10K !!! Taylor, played mine with the capo with a blindingly fast nervous energy excitement driven medley of Gary Davis, said strangely calmly: “Hmmm, what do these go for?” And the guy’s mouth was a little bit ajar......a bit of sales process and I was gone and they probably thought WTF was that?


BluesKing777.
0

#24 User is offline   jedzep 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2797
  • Joined: 04-March 10
  • LocationCrankytown, Upstate NY

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:10 PM

Hahaha! I can picture that. I know why his mouth hung open.
I may not be good lookin', but at least I ain't got no money.

'31 L0
'35 L00
'50 J50
'62 Martin 00018
'57 Guild M20
'63 Guild F30
0

#25 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8171
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

View Postjedzep, on 21 April 2019 - 06:10 PM, said:

Hahaha! I can picture that. I know why his mouth hung open.


They have had their revenge, JZ - the sucker has Mediums on it and I have hurt my dainty Lights players. And my rotor cuff was complaining from the wider lower bout.

Last night after walking the dog, I said to the Boss: “I thought you would probably ask me to play you some tunes on my new guitar”. I mean, poor girl has heard all of it for nearly 40 years and would probably rather poke herself in the eye, truth! But we had a singalong of sorts, which means me playing all her requests and having to answer silly questions about capos while I was....etc.

But on and upwards we must go. I need to change those strings and also try the Taylor slide made of Ebony I picked up.


BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 21 April 2019 - 06:23 PM

0

#26 User is offline   kidblast 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 10571
  • Joined: 29-March 12
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:09 AM

View Postzombywoof, on 21 April 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

OK, so we now that we have all been so pleasant, we can now lay into him!



and there it is,, the post in a taylor thread I've been waiting for! LOL!!!! [thumbup]
/Ray
0

#27 User is offline   duluthdan 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 4350
  • Joined: 19-February 12
  • LocationAspen, Colorado

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:50 AM

What's a guitar fund? What a quaint idea... [biggrin]
Smile Fierce !!!
Gibson J-45 TV (Lyric)
Gibson J-45 Legend
Gibson J-50 (K&K)
Martin D-35 (Trance)
Martin 000-42
Gibson J-35 Vintage
0

#28 User is offline   billroy 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1120
  • Joined: 30-November 17

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:52 AM

View PostBluesKing777, on 21 April 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

The guitar is designed to have even string balance like all the 00/000/OM sounds....fingerpicking is easier without having to allow for extra bass like a D28. No flab.

And if I like the neck, to me it is a fab design, not a lot of skinny neck likers will. This Builder’s Edition neck is chunkier than normal Taylors with a ‘compound’ neck cut with a smooth V in the first positions that transitions to a fat C up higher. 1 3/4” nut or I wouldn’t have bought it.

BluesKing777.


BK - I am liking it, I like the specs, would love to see how that neck feels - interested in the RW (torn), really like the case. I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers :). But being a Taylor, I feel a little bit obligated to bash you. Now I couldn't come up with anything good to bash you over, but I do want you to know you should feel sufficiently bashed. So pssshaw. I do like that guitar though :)
'18 Gibson J45, vintage
'86 Guild D25
'00 Fender Strat (American Standard)
'90 Fender Strat (Korea, bought in an open market in Korea... yeah it might be real)
'68 Gibson SG
'17 Several 3 String CBGs

"Want people to listen to your stuff, don't play boring stuff..." heard somewhere.
0

#29 User is offline   kidblast 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 10571
  • Joined: 29-March 12
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:58 PM

View Postbillroy, on 22 April 2019 - 11:52 AM, said:

I feel a little bit obligated to bash you. Now I couldn't come up with anything good to bash you over, but I do want you to know you should feel sufficiently bashed. So pssshaw. I do like that guitar though :)


now you're cooking with GAS!

LOL!
/Ray
0

#30 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8171
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:17 PM

View Postduluthdan, on 22 April 2019 - 09:50 AM, said:

What's a guitar fund? What a quaint idea... [biggrin]



I got this guitar so much cheaper than anticipated that the Guitar Fund is still half full!!!!!!!

Quite a few years back, I gave up smoking and resolved to put an equivalent amount of dosh that I would have spent in to a "Guitar Fund", to encourage me to keep ...not smoking. I was not to know then that I would yell at everyone I know and give up on friends too! So the guitar fund has also received a large boost from not spending much on socializing...(hardly drink anything 'cos you need a smoke to have a drink and a drink to have a smoke etc.). So at the time I thought I might be able to put some money to a nice used guitar...ha ha ha, but the coffers kept filling as I didn't relapse and I have guitars everywhere! I have sold and traded and even given away cheapies for the purpose of making room for ...the next.....ones....


BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 22 April 2019 - 04:18 PM

0

#31 User is offline   PatriotsBiker 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 320
  • Joined: 17-September 11

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:11 PM

Congrats on your new Taylor, BK. Yes, it's amazing how much money one can divert away from smokes. I did that some time ago and then decided driving an old POS meant those car payments could go into music funds. Well, some of it, anyhow. :rolleyes:

OK, MOST of it.

I do dig the even playing nature of the V-Series and bet it would be great in the studio. I've played a few, but not that one. Sadly, the 614 did nothing to talk me out of my 2015 model. I'll have to give the 717 a ride next trip across town.
2018 - Gibson SJ-200 Standard
2018 - Gibson Hummingbird Standard
2015 - Taylor 614CE
2013 - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro(59)
2014 - Epiphone Black Royale P93
2015 - Epiphone ES335 Custom
2005 - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (MIK)
2008 - Fender Tele (MIM) - Modded to Keefocaster
2011 - Fender USA Strat Standard
2012 - Fender USA Telecaster
2009 - PRS SE Paul Allender
2007 - Gretsch 5120 Electromatic
2016 - Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Jet City Amps 20W JCA2112RC
0

#32 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8171
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:06 PM

View PostPatriotsBiker, on 22 April 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

Congrats on your new Taylor, BK. Yes, it's amazing how much money one can divert away from smokes. I did that some time ago and then decided driving an old POS meant those car payments could go into music funds. Well, some of it, anyhow. :rolleyes:

OK, MOST of it.

I do dig the even playing nature of the V-Series and bet it would be great in the studio. I've played a few, but not that one. Sadly, the 614 did nothing to talk me out of my 2015 model. I'll have to give the 717 a ride next trip across town.




Cars new and old can be a trip to Hell.

So the new guitar plays and feels great, chamfered edges rule! Who knew? No more splinters. But a little back story...I really wanted that 30s Gibson L-00 with this lot of guitar fundery, 1 3/4" nut and old wood 00 size perfect but nobody will send it to me 'cos of CITES. Not just old guitars - this message is on the new Gibbies pages:

We are unfortunately unable to ship this guitar internationally at this time due to CITES restrictions on rosewood. Please consider shopping at our EU store or find a dealer who may be able to ship to your location.


So I looked at some used guitars already for sale here and there really was nothing I liked without a 1 11/16" nut. And I played a terrific '46 Southern Jumbo that they wanted 13K for...yikes, it was nice and warm and cuddly but .....rattled and buzzed and you just think: "What?".


So the GAS feed turned to the new slope shouldered Taylor with revolutionary V Bracing and the Builder's Edition has a host of things like you could get on a custom guitar. And I wanted to try the pickup (Taylor ES2 Expression System) after a friend said I would probably like it, especially through my Tonedexter. I do like it direct to my gadgetry - it is very 'K&K' but with vol and tone controls and preamp.

So there you go - I went for the new with a homage to the old. And it is really nice. [tongue]



BluesKing777.
0

#33 User is offline   drathbun 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2690
  • Joined: 02-August 08
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

I played a Taylor GP 317e today and I agree that this is nothing like a J45. It is a solid sitka spruce top with solid sapele back and side. I was singularly unimpressed with this guitar but I didn't plug it in. It felt and played more like a Larrivee L03 although it is a little less resonant. I strummed it and played it fingerstyle and it just has no character. In contrast to the V braced 700 and 800 series, there is no comparison. The V braced 700 and 800's have sparkle, resonance and sustain for days.
Beware of Doug

Posted Image
[size=2]
2018 Taylor GS Mini Walnut
2017 Gibson Hummingbird Limited Edition 12 string
2014 Godin Multiac Classical
2013 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret
2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200
2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass
2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC
2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
1981 Rickenbacker 320JG
1968 Yamaha FG150 Red Label
My Soundclick Music Page
0

#34 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8171
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:47 PM

View Postdrathbun, on 23 April 2019 - 02:50 PM, said:

I played a Taylor GP 317e today and I agree that this is nothing like a J45. It is a solid sitka spruce top with solid sapele back and side. I was singularly unimpressed with this guitar but I didn't plug it in. It felt and played more like a Larrivee L03 although it is a little less resonant. I strummed it and played it fingerstyle and it just has no character. In contrast to the V braced 700 and 800 series, there is no comparison. The V braced 700 and 800's have sparkle, resonance and sustain for days.




'Eeeeek EEEEK eeek' said the 7 Series BMW driver when he saw the new 3 Series BMW.......

While I have not played a Taylor 317e, I imagine they will sell a bucketload of them. A claim of a fair comparison by the reviewer I saw on Youtube was between the 317e and a Gibson J15. Approx the same price.

Mine is a Grand Pacific Builder's Edition 717e. Rosewood/Sitka.


Anyhows, playing the new beast has come to a bit of a halt as I put a little cut and a burn on the fingerpicker right thumb again, while cooking dinner last night, I think, not sure how I keep doing this. Nuisance PLUS. So I worked since 7am and had a break after 3 1/2 hours on the tool...... I was thinking ahead, what to play? I don't want to ruin my new guitar conceptions by playing with a bandaid on my thumb. Sounds weird - I have done the same cut a bit lately, so pretty experienced at playing with bandaids. So I grabbed the Maton Messiah EM100-808 small body (Rosewood/Sitka) that I changed strings on the other day to tune them up a bit after sitting in the case for a few days (I think I heard a few guitars calling in the night while I played on with the newbie!) and played using just my index finger like a plectrum...this guitar is what I imagine the Taylor 812 X braced would be like (never tried one)...but this one is very nice! New strings rule!


BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 23 April 2019 - 07:01 PM

0

#35 User is offline   drathbun 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2690
  • Joined: 02-August 08
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:21 PM

View PostBluesKing777, on 23 April 2019 - 06:47 PM, said:

'Eeeeek EEEEK eeek' said the 7 Series BMW driver when he saw the new 3 Series BMW.......

While I have not played a Taylor 317e, I imagine they will sell a bucketload of them. A claim of a fair comparison by the reviewer I saw on Youtube was between the 317e and a Gibson J15. Approx the same price.

Mine is a Grand Pacific Builder's Edition 717e. Rosewood/Sitka.


Anyhows, playing the new beast has come to a bit of a halt as I put a little cut and a burn on the fingerpicker right thumb again, while cooking dinner last night, I think, not sure how I keep doing this. Nuisance PLUS. So I worked since 7am and had a break after 3 1/2 hours on the tool...... I was thinking ahead, what to play? I don't want to ruin my new guitar conceptions by playing with a bandaid on my thumb. Sounds weird - I have done the same cut a bit lately, so pretty experienced at playing with bandaids. So I grabbed the Maton Messiah EM100-808 small body (Rosewood/Sitka) that I changed strings on the other day to tune them up a bit after sitting in the case for a few days (I think I heard a few guitars calling in the night while I played on with the newbie!) and played using just my index finger like a plectrum...this guitar is what I imagine the Taylor 812 X braced would be like (never tried one)...but this one is very nice! New strings rule!


BluesKing777.


My suggestion BK... OVGLOVE! Serious... heal soon.

I'd agree with that J15 comparison with the 317e.
Beware of Doug

Posted Image
[size=2]
2018 Taylor GS Mini Walnut
2017 Gibson Hummingbird Limited Edition 12 string
2014 Godin Multiac Classical
2013 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret
2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200
2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass
2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC
2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
1981 Rickenbacker 320JG
1968 Yamaha FG150 Red Label
My Soundclick Music Page
0

#36 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8171
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:40 PM

View Postdrathbun, on 23 April 2019 - 07:21 PM, said:

My suggestion BK... OVGLOVE! Serious... heal soon.

I'd agree with that J15 comparison with the 317e.



Thanks Drathbun!

I have Ovgloves...maybe one has a hole in it I can't see? I thought I was maybe getting a cut from a guitar case latch, but I have been playing the new one and the latches look and feel fine.

Revenge of the Guitar Fairies perhaps???

Posted Image


BluesKing777.
0

#37 User is offline   Murph 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 9543
  • Joined: 03-August 08
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:38 AM

View Postscriv58, on 21 April 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

It is a great idea- Gibson has produced runs of j45 rosewood models with ebony


I have one.

Wink, wink....
0

#38 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8171
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 27 April 2019 - 01:09 AM

Not getting that one, Murph. Sorry, don’t know what you are talking about....

Did I tell you I love this guitar? Big chunky compound shape neck, 1 3/4” nut, great to play, sounds great, great pickup ready to run, chamfered edges.....medium Elixirs I will stick with for a while as I like the tone even if they hurt! (I will go lights 12s soon but don’t want to tweak neck yet.)

My initial impression that Lowden lovers would like it and Gibson lovers hate it.....remans! Balanced sound across all strings, no thump bass at all, like an F shape Lowden....like a 00/000 pure fingerpicker but...big!!! And the new controversial V bracing is great for chords and playing high up the neck....people on various forums are murderous about the V thing! Love it! (But truth is most guitars I love, nobody else likes at all...v necks, chunky, small body, deep small body, balanced sounds....yep, lucky I got my 717e before they go broke! :mellow:

I have spent time today experimenting with making files in Tonedexter for the Taylor....pickup is nice on its own, kind of like a K&K but with preamp and controls. Not a lot of quack in the pickup but......Even better in Tonedexter!

BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 27 April 2019 - 01:17 AM

0

#39 User is offline   Murph 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 9543
  • Joined: 03-August 08
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:05 AM

What.
0

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users