Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

BluesKing777

The guitar is designed to have even string balance like all the 00/000/OM sounds....fingerpicking is easier without having to allow for extra bass like a D28. No flab.

And if I like the neck, to me it is a fab design, not a lot of skinny neck likers will. This Builder’s Edition neck is chunkier than normal Taylors with a ‘compound’ neck cut with a smooth V in the first positions that transitions to a fat C up higher. 1 3/4” nut or I wouldn’t have bought it.

BluesKing777.

BK - I am liking it, I like the specs, would love to see how that neck feels - interested in the RW (torn), really like the case. I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers :). But being a Taylor, I feel a little bit obligated to bash you. Now I couldn't come up with anything good to bash you over, but I do want you to know you should feel sufficiently bashed. So pssshaw. I do like that guitar though :)

I feel a little bit obligated to bash you. Now I couldn't come up with anything good to bash you over, but I do want you to know you should feel sufficiently bashed. So pssshaw. I do like that guitar though :)

now you're cooking with GAS!

LOL!

What's a guitar fund? What a quaint idea... [biggrin]

I got this guitar so much cheaper than anticipated that the Guitar Fund is still half full!!!!!!!

Quite a few years back, I gave up smoking and resolved to put an equivalent amount of dosh that I would have spent in to a "Guitar Fund", to encourage me to keep ...not smoking. I was not to know then that I would yell at everyone I know and give up on friends too! So the guitar fund has also received a large boost from not spending much on socializing...(hardly drink anything 'cos you need a smoke to have a drink and a drink to have a smoke etc.). So at the time I thought I might be able to put some money to a nice used guitar...ha ha ha, but the coffers kept filling as I didn't relapse and I have guitars everywhere! I have sold and traded and even given away cheapies for the purpose of making room for ...the next.....ones....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Congrats on your new Taylor, BK. Yes, it's amazing how much money one can divert away from smokes. I did that some time ago and then decided driving an old POS meant those car payments could go into music funds. Well, some of it, anyhow. :rolleyes:

OK, MOST of it.

I do dig the even playing nature of the V-Series and bet it would be great in the studio. I've played a few, but not that one. Sadly, the 614 did nothing to talk me out of my 2015 model. I'll have to give the 717 a ride next trip across town.

Congrats on your new Taylor, BK. Yes, it's amazing how much money one can divert away from smokes. I did that some time ago and then decided driving an old POS meant those car payments could go into music funds. Well, some of it, anyhow. :rolleyes:

OK, MOST of it.

I do dig the even playing nature of the V-Series and bet it would be great in the studio. I've played a few, but not that one. Sadly, the 614 did nothing to talk me out of my 2015 model. I'll have to give the 717 a ride next trip across town.

Cars new and old can be a trip to Hell.

So the new guitar plays and feels great, chamfered edges rule! Who knew? No more splinters. But a little back story...I really wanted that 30s Gibson L-00 with this lot of guitar fundery, 1 3/4" nut and old wood 00 size perfect but nobody will send it to me 'cos of CITES. Not just old guitars - this message is on the new Gibbies pages:

We are unfortunately unable to ship this guitar internationally at this time due to CITES restrictions on rosewood. Please consider shopping at our EU store or find a dealer who may be able to ship to your location.

So I looked at some used guitars already for sale here and there really was nothing I liked without a 1 11/16" nut. And I played a terrific '46 Southern Jumbo that they wanted 13K for...yikes, it was nice and warm and cuddly but .....rattled and buzzed and you just think: "What?".

So the GAS feed turned to the new slope shouldered Taylor with revolutionary V Bracing and the Builder's Edition has a host of things like you could get on a custom guitar. And I wanted to try the pickup (Taylor ES2 Expression System) after a friend said I would probably like it, especially through my Tonedexter. I do like it direct to my gadgetry - it is very 'K&K' but with vol and tone controls and preamp.

So there you go - I went for the new with a homage to the old. And it is really nice. [tongue]

BluesKing777.

I played a Taylor GP 317e today and I agree that this is nothing like a J45. It is a solid sitka spruce top with solid sapele back and side. I was singularly unimpressed with this guitar but I didn't plug it in. It felt and played more like a Larrivee L03 although it is a little less resonant. I strummed it and played it fingerstyle and it just has no character. In contrast to the V braced 700 and 800 series, there is no comparison. The V braced 700 and 800's have sparkle, resonance and sustain for days.

I played a Taylor GP 317e today and I agree that this is nothing like a J45. It is a solid sitka spruce top with solid sapele back and side. I was singularly unimpressed with this guitar but I didn't plug it in. It felt and played more like a Larrivee L03 although it is a little less resonant. I strummed it and played it fingerstyle and it just has no character. In contrast to the V braced 700 and 800 series, there is no comparison. The V braced 700 and 800's have sparkle, resonance and sustain for days.

'Eeeeek EEEEK eeek' said the 7 Series BMW driver when he saw the new 3 Series BMW.......

While I have not played a Taylor 317e, I imagine they will sell a bucketload of them. A claim of a fair comparison by the reviewer I saw on Youtube was between the 317e and a Gibson J15. Approx the same price.

Mine is a Grand Pacific Builder's Edition 717e. Rosewood/Sitka.

Anyhows, playing the new beast has come to a bit of a halt as I put a little cut and a burn on the fingerpicker right thumb again, while cooking dinner last night, I think, not sure how I keep doing this. Nuisance PLUS. So I worked since 7am and had a break after 3 1/2 hours on the tool...... I was thinking ahead, what to play? I don't want to ruin my new guitar conceptions by playing with a bandaid on my thumb. Sounds weird - I have done the same cut a bit lately, so pretty experienced at playing with bandaids. So I grabbed the Maton Messiah EM100-808 small body (Rosewood/Sitka) that I changed strings on the other day to tune them up a bit after sitting in the case for a few days (I think I heard a few guitars calling in the night while I played on with the newbie!) and played using just my index finger like a plectrum...this guitar is what I imagine the Taylor 812 X braced would be like (never tried one)...but this one is very nice! New strings rule!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

'Eeeeek EEEEK eeek' said the 7 Series BMW driver when he saw the new 3 Series BMW.......

While I have not played a Taylor 317e, I imagine they will sell a bucketload of them. A claim of a fair comparison by the reviewer I saw on Youtube was between the 317e and a Gibson J15. Approx the same price.

Mine is a Grand Pacific Builder's Edition 717e. Rosewood/Sitka.

Anyhows, playing the new beast has come to a bit of a halt as I put a little cut and a burn on the fingerpicker right thumb again, while cooking dinner last night, I think, not sure how I keep doing this. Nuisance PLUS. So I worked since 7am and had a break after 3 1/2 hours on the tool...... I was thinking ahead, what to play? I don't want to ruin my new guitar conceptions by playing with a bandaid on my thumb. Sounds weird - I have done the same cut a bit lately, so pretty experienced at playing with bandaids. So I grabbed the Maton Messiah EM100-808 small body (Rosewood/Sitka) that I changed strings on the other day to tune them up a bit after sitting in the case for a few days (I think I heard a few guitars calling in the night while I played on with the newbie!) and played using just my index finger like a plectrum...this guitar is what I imagine the Taylor 812 X braced would be like (never tried one)...but this one is very nice! New strings rule!

BluesKing777.

My suggestion BK... OVGLOVE! Serious... heal soon.

I'd agree with that J15 comparison with the 317e.

My suggestion BK... OVGLOVE! Serious... heal soon.

Thanks Drathbun!

I have Ovgloves...maybe one has a hole in it I can't see? I thought I was maybe getting a cut from a guitar case latch, but I have been playing the new one and the latches look and feel fine.

Revenge of the Guitar Fairies perhaps???

7nY23e7h.jpg

BluesKing777.

Not getting that one, Murph. Sorry, don’t know what you are talking about....

Did I tell you I love this guitar? Big chunky compound shape neck, 1 3/4” nut, great to play, sounds great, great pickup ready to run, chamfered edges.....medium Elixirs I will stick with for a while as I like the tone even if they hurt! (I will go lights 12s soon but don’t want to tweak neck yet.)

My initial impression that Lowden lovers would like it and Gibson lovers hate it.....remans! Balanced sound across all strings, no thump bass at all, like an F shape Lowden....like a 00/000 pure fingerpicker but...big!!! And the new controversial V bracing is great for chords and playing high up the neck....people on various forums are murderous about the V thing! Love it! (But truth is most guitars I love, nobody else likes at all...v necks, chunky, small body, deep small body, balanced sounds....yep, lucky I got my 717e before they go broke! :mellow:

I have spent time today experimenting with making files in Tonedexter for the Taylor....pickup is nice on its own, kind of like a K&K but with preamp and controls. Not a lot of quack in the pickup but......Even better in Tonedexter!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2019 at 1:17 PM, Bozz said:

A really nice set of Rosewood on that one. Congrats!

I wonder what the folks at Gibson are thinking now that Taylor has veered head-on into their lane?

Nah. The X17 series are nothing like any Gibson (besides the slope shoulder look) or Martin. Completely unique. They are really nice but I don’t care for them. 

On 4/23/2019 at 8:21 PM, drathbun said:

I disagree completely. The only similarity these two guitars have is the slope shoulder style and the price. Nothing else. 

And the J15 (mine being $400 less than the 317) is really in a completely different class. I’m not a fan of Sapele at all. It looks, feels and sounds like a laminate guitar to me. The J15 is Walnut and the tonal complexities are waaaaaay off the chart as compared to the 317. 

The 317 is a great guitar but the person looking for a Gibson really of any kind I doubt would be happy with the 317.