Gibson Brands Forums

SG HP 2019 strap button position

sod4602

hi,

i recently bought an SG HP 2019, which i am loving.

all except the strap button position, which i find very awkward.

whilst seating, but especially whilst standing the whole weight of the guitar is tilted towards the neck. pretty much all of the weight sits on the neck button and therefore on your left shoulder.

hp:

https://static.gibson.com/product-images/USA/USASR926/Trans%20Black%20Fade/back-banner-1600_900.png

standard:

https://static.gibson.com/product-images/USA/USANZ2634/Ebony/back-banner-1600_900.png

i wonder if any of you have found solutions for this?

i am seriously considering drilling a new hole where the button for the any other sg would be (at the base of the neck), but it seems a shame to have to do this, especially in a pretty much new guitar.

thanks!

Just curious, is this your fist SG?

They are pretty much well know for "neck dive" Before you modify, what kind of strap are you using? If it's one of those "seat belt" material style straps, those are usually part of the problem. If you can try a suede or brushed leather strap, you'll probably find that much more comfortable.

The point of repositioning that neck strap button to the higher bout was to help alleviate neck dive. Very few guitars would remain in exactly the same position seated and standing. The flying V is one of them. The SG, Les Paul and Firebird all require a slight adjustments from seated to standing position

Edited by Derald

My HP Flying V had a slightly repositioned button, but that was because they contoured the heel.

I see no reason why they did that on the SG.

Curiouser, and curiouser....

$4 straps and $2,000 guitars don’t mix.

Unless you do double duty as the tambourine player, and lead guitarist, holding your guitar helps. Although some seem to have mastered both....

443382-E6-B7-B7-4-F39-8884-1-B49-E50-DDD26.gif

Edited by AngelDeVille

Just curious, is this your fist SG?

They are pretty much well know for "neck dive" Before you modify, what kind of strap are you using? If it's one of those "seat belt" material style straps, those are usually part of the problem. If you can try a suede or brushed leather strap, you'll probably find that much more comfortable.

That's what I use, kidblast, and it helps. My favorite strap for my SG HP is 2 1/2" black leather outside and suede inside. It helps keep my SG where I want it. A wider 3" one might work even better.

• Upvote 1

Neck dive:

I've just got a heavy 3" Heistercamp strap. Initially I was disappointed because its uncomfortable (very thick and very hard) and unsuitable for the guitar I bought it for.

However I tried it on my Ric 650, which neck dives. The suede backing on the wide surface solves the neck dive surprisingly effectively.

• Upvote 1

That's what I use, kidblast, and it helps. My favorite strap for my SG HP is 2 1/2" black leather outside and suede inside. It helps keep my SG where I want it. A wider 3" one might work even better.

yea, the suede bites into the material on your clothing, and it keeps things stable, the "seat belt" straps just slide across instead. Ergo the problem with those straps and about 95% of the guitars I've tried to use them with, as a result, I kept one for my uke.. and gave away just about all of them.

SGs are too cool to mess with the wrong strap!!

• Upvote 1

I think if you move the strap button to the horn area you will be disappointed. The geometry while holding an SG in playing angle, with the strap button in the normal location, compared to being located anywhere close to the tip of the horn, stock position is usually better..

I have always liked using an extra wide very soft leather bass strap, about 4" wide or more, that helps SG's and DC's stay in position..It also helps make overweight LP's a lot more comfortable... The nice thing about leather is it gets more comfortable with age, like a good pair of boots..

Edited by mihcmac

I think if you move the strap button to the horn area you will be disappointed. The geometry while holding an SG in playing angle, with the strap button in the normal location, compared to being located anywhere close to the tip of the horn, stock position is usually better.

The OP did not say he was moving it to the horn. In fact, he said the opposite.

The OP did not say he was moving it to the horn. In fact, he said the opposite.

Sorry my dyslexia coming out, so he was showing it in this position below...

back-banner-1600_900.png

and wondering about this position......

back-banner-1600_900.png

Edited by mihcmac

thank you all for your replies!

i have an other sg, which is has the strap button at the neck base, and that works just fine.

never had issues with it, so that was part of my reasoning.

however as you have pointed out i am using a cheap strap. the one it came with.

which is very thin leather / suede, similar to this: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Franklin-Strap/3-Black-Leather-Guitar-Strap-with-Red-Stitching.gc

i think need to go shopping.

they have the same model in the shop so the best thing might be to try a few on it, starting by what you have suggested.

will post back when i find a good option, in case other people have the same issue.

cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

hi

tried a few straps and got the one that had the most grip.

a 6.4 cm wide d'addario leather and suede.

it wasn't necessary the thickest, widest, or the one with the fluffiest suede, but it proved to be the most efficient.

if this is a problem for you have, i do recommend you try them on.

it isn't a perfect solution but good enough...

thanks again!

• Upvote 1

I have been switching to the ACE reissue straps.

They have a crappy pleather backing and don't really grip, but they are comfortable.

I don't particularly like "grabby" straps, or ones wider than 2".

This is my HP V.... sounds like a disease....

20190429-205150-2.jpg

Edited by AngelDeVille
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, FGecko said:

Hi. 

Did you solve the problem and move the button at the base of the neck ? I have a the same SG and the same neck dive. Every information you can give me would be very helpful.

Thanks

This thread is a year and a hlaf old, you may not resurrect a reply

Try a brushed leather or suede strap.   Or something with a course material, like a cloth strap.  I've a few SGs, and with the right strap, neck dive is not an issue.

The seat-belt material made straps will slip and slide all the time.