Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SJ-200 vs Hummingbird and James Bay

bundigibson

Let me get started by saying that I have zero experience in buying or playing a guitar, but am looking to start. In addition, I would like to buy a present for somebody - an acoustic guitar. She's a huge fan of the artist James Bay and has been playing herself for over 15 years.

This friend has mentioned that James Bay has a Hummingbird, although I am not too sure. Based on my ''research'', if you can call it that, I actually never saw him play a Hummingbird. I have a feeling it's the (S)J-200.

Based on https://equipboard.com/pros/james-bay he has the SJ-200 in Vintage Sunburst.

A couple of questions I have:

- can anybody confirm that James Bay plays the (S)J-200, and not the Hummingbird?

- and if so, is the guitar pictured below the Vintage Sunburst (S)J-200?

- can somebody confirm or explain the names SJ-200 vs J-200? Are these one and the same?

1k0.jpg

Let me get started by saying that I have zero experience in buying or playing a guitar, but am looking to start. In addition, I would like to buy a present for somebody - an acoustic guitar. She's a huge fan of the artist James Bay and has been playing herself for over 15 years.

This friend has mentioned that James Bay has a Hummingbird, although I am not too sure. Based on my ''research'', if you can call it that, I actually never saw him play a Hummingbird. I have a feeling it's the (S)J-200.

Based on https://equipboard.com/pros/james-bay he has the SJ-200 in Vintage Sunburst.

A couple of questions I have:

- can anybody confirm that James Bay plays the (S)J-200, and not the Hummingbird?

- can somebody confirm or explain the names SJ-200 vs J-200? Are these one and the same?

1k0.jpg

That would be a Sj 200 standard vintage sunburst.

JC

As said by others, the pic is of an SJ 200. Not sure if that's the go to guitar of James Bay or not, to be safe you should get your friend a hummingbird and an SJ 200. With respect to SJ200 vs J200, I believe they're the same thing, I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.

Regardless, they are both sweet guitars and can't imagine anyone being disappointed with either being gifted. Good luck!

Edited by billroy

As said by others, the pic is of an SJ 200. Not sure if that's the go to guitar of James Bay or not, to be safe you should get your friend a hummingbird and an SJ 200. With respect to SJ200 vs J200, I believe they're the same thing, I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.

Regardless, they are both sweet guitars and can't imagine anyone being disappointed with either being gifted. Good luck!

Thanks, and also thanks at all others above for commenting. Helped a lot :)

That's also what I've heard (SJ-200 vs J-200 names); it was mainly marketing related, but I could be wrong. I read or saw in some videos that Gibson used SJ in some years and J in others, but the guitars (size and build) are apparently the same. Indeed, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, a Hummingbird and an SJ-200; I thought about that, but it's a stretch to pull that off.

Where would you come about a good condition used SJ-200? I've checked eBay, loads of listings from Japan. Is that something?

Where would you come about a good condition used SJ-200? I've checked eBay, loads of listings from Japan. Is that something?

Some may disagree, but I wouldn't get one from Japan unless it's the last resort. The shipping/transport is just too expensive/risky/complicated.

Try reverb.com for a more instrument-centered site than ebay.

Gibson has the AJ - "advanced" jumbo - which I believe is basically a dreadnought. So they needed to label it the SJ - "super" jumbo - with the 17 inch wide lower bout.

I'd say the SJ200 is (one of) the ultimate holy grails of 6-strings. As a gift, I'd say it's right up there with a 2 carat emerald-cut diamond ring. msp_wink.gif

An SJ-200 would be a heck of a gift for anybody! Reverb has over 130 SJ-200s listed, both new and used. Good place to see what's out there and how much they cost. The internet big box stores include Guitar Center, Musicians Friend and Sweetwater, among others. They all have new ones listed, and MF has one "Open Box" Vintage model. Good luck in your search.

You might want to consider the size of the guitar. There are some folks that find the size of the J-200 uncomfortable to play. There are some other options that are downsized. For example: J-200 Junior, or J-200 Parlor.

Good luck in your search.