Gibson Brands Forums

1980 SG Standard or 2016 '61 Reissue

Rednef

Hello all!

Recently joined here and was looking to gain a bit of your advice.

I currently have the opportunity to get either a 1980 Walnut SG Standard or a 2016 '61 Reissue for roughly the same price - £1200 for the 80s Standard, £1150 for the '61.

I know these will be different beasts but I was really just wanting to see if there is a clear winner on what guitar is a better buy. Both guitars check out; no neck breaks, pots are fine, truss rod is all good etc.

I've heard Gibsons in the 80s weren't always the best - however being more Fender inclined up until now I don't really have the best knowledge on past SGs. Nor do I know if the 80s Gibsons rumour is just a myth.

I've attached a picture of the '80, and I'm sure you'll all be aware of what the '61 Reissue is.

Really just want to know what's a better shout and where is my money better placed?

Many thanks in advance!

D

post-100509-058250000 1556180972_thumb.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Others will chime in with their views but IMO it's a no-brainer for the reissue. No hesitation whatsoever.

There is nothing remarkable about 1980's SGs and as so many were made it's not going to be an investment. The RI isn't going to be an investment either but (again IMO) the reissues are, hands-down, just about the best solid-body guitars Gibson has made for decades. They are also made the way they were back in the early '60s which is usually something preferred hereabouts. It will also most likely be in better condition into the bargain. In fact I can't think of one single area where the '80s guitar wins out.

Pip.

• Upvote 1

Get BOTH! msp_razz.gifI'm a Standard junkie, and love my '61 RI, but I'd have to give that gorgeous '80 a try! Ultimately, with everything being equal, which ever one feels and plays the best for ya, is the one to get. Good luck! msp_cool.gif

• Upvote 1

Vintage guitars are way overrated, way overdone, and so 90's it stopped being funny a decade ago. Leave the vintage guitars to them people that have to have vintage. You would seriously be paying only for the privilege of saying "Vintage" whenever you talk about your guitar.

The only value in my "vintage" guitars is that I put every mile on them, so they only have value to me, and it isn't money. They are run of the mill Teles to anyone else and will never live up to any perceived value just because they are old. My "mojo", the "stories" of all the places they've been and the things we've done together is not transferable.

rct

My "mojo", the "stories" of all the places they've been and the things we've done together is not transferable.

rct

That's why I have a very hard time buying used guitars, the dings and scratches that are not mine voids any mojo claims. I bought two used guitars in my life time and sold them, it kind of felt like sloppy seconds.

Edited by Big Bill

That's why I have a very hard time buying used guitars, the dings and scratches are not mine which voids any mojo claims. I bought two used guitars in my life time and sold them, it kind of felt like sloppy seconds.

I haven't bought a used guitar since I didn't have to anymore, which was a long time ago.

My Esquire was bought and returned a week later, so I bought it technically "used". Lightweight couldn't handle the thunder I suppose.

rct

I can't speak for the 1980 SG but my 1981 Gibson "The V" is probably the best playing and best sounding guitar I've ever touched. That being said, my 2017 and 2018 Gibsons are really nice as well. For me, it would come down to which one I liked the best, which one played the best and which one sounded the best.

If I had to choose, I'd go for the reissue. If I were in the market for another "vintage" Gibson, I'd aim for somewhere in the 1989-1992 range myself.

I've bought 5 used guitars (two SG's... 1976 and 1980) and have been very happy with all of them.