Gibson Brands Forums

Brain Fart and a Revelation

Buc McMaster

I'm really stoked with the Texas Big Sky Hummingbird.......big rich tone and a wonderful strummer. But it wasn't always the case. Tried out nearly every Gibson in the house that day, including three or four other Hummingbirds, one of which was the Vintage model I used to own (was still in the store!). The blue one was very obviously the best sounding of the lot, had a very good neck set and, as with every other UST-equipped guitars I've bought, just needed the pickup removed and a little tweaking of the saddle. Well, I did this upon arriving home with the instrument. A first run at the saddle is always on the cautious side and after a few days I decided it could stand a bit more work......did that too. But I absent-mindedly reinstalled the saddle backwards......and did not realize it. And right away there began intonation issues that were not present before. Dropping the capo on anywhere really upset the tune of the e-B-G strings. I use a capo on nearly every tune.......wtf?!? Never occurred to me that the saddle was backward in the slot as I always mark them with an arrow pointing toward the high e........couldn't fuk that up.....could I?! When I removed the strings to install the new Dave pick guard I discovered the mistake. And now it's right as rain as it was when I brought it home. Sheesh. What a knucklehead I be!

And it turns out that the "better capo-ed tone" using the G7th Heritage is very, very pronounced on this particular guitar. Absolutely amazing the difference this capo makes on this Hummingbird. The Elliot and the Kat Eyz sound good and the capos both work just fine, but compared to the Heritage they are serious tone robbers. Open strings, nut-to-saddle, have a richness and character that these capos seem to strip away from the tone, while the G7th does not. This is apparent on the J-45 as well but not nearly to the degree it is on Big Blue. Previously I have noted here that this effect was not worth the added weight and slightly more cumbersome operation of the G7th in a live situation......I've changed my mind with this Hummingbird. The tonal advantage is very, very apparent on this instrument......a fact which seems to reinforce the notion that every guitar is unique.

Boy, they don't give those capos away at around $150. It looks nicely made, and the adaptive radius technology makes sense. I assume that means it has a thicker flexible insert that can adapt under pressure. That's the same concept, of course, as the old Dunlop-style flexible rubber capos we used back in the 1960's, not that those were particularly great.

Whatever works.

That seems like a great guitar, by the way. Glad to see you back in love with guitars after your ukulele fling.

Boy, they don't give those capos away at around $150. It looks nicely made, and the adaptive radius technology makes sense. I assume that means it has a thicker flexible insert that can adapt under pressure. That's the same concept, of course, as the old Dunlop-style flexible rubber capos we used back in the 1960's, not that those were particularly great.

Whatever works.

That seems like a great guitar, by the way. Glad to see you back in love with guitars after your ukulele fling.

Thanks. Sounds like it might have a piece of spring steel above the string pad that flattens as you tighten the capo screw. However they do it, it makes a lot of sense. It's a nice bit of kit, and given how much many of us spend on our guitars, the price is not out of line.

It's a nylon cam assembly inside the black rubber pad, made in three pieces. The center piece has a high point that makes contact first and has "arms" extending from it that press downward on inner ends of the two outer pieces. This action in turn forces the outer ends of these pieces to press downward on the rubber pad, conforming the pad to the radius of the fingerboard. The outer pieces operate like fulcrums. Quite nicely engineered.

PTqBFVO.jpg

Edited by Buc McMaster

I'm really stoked with the Texas Big Sky Hummingbird.......big rich tone and a wonderful strummer. But it wasn't always the case. Tried out nearly every Gibson in the house that day, including three or four other Hummingbirds, one of which was the Vintage model I used to own (was still in the store!). The blue one was very obviously the best sounding of the lot, had a very good neck set and, as with every other UST-equipped guitars I've bought, just needed the pickup removed and a little tweaking of the saddle.

I thought that 2016 hbird vintage model you owned sounded really great, and was surprised when you unloaded it. I looked at the Southpaw website, and if this https://www.southpawguitars.com/gibson-left-handed-guitars/1285-gibson-hummingbird-true-vintage-used-no-warranty-call-to-order-713-667-5791.html is the same one you owned, seems a bit pricey for used.

It's a nylon cam assembly inside the black rubber pad, made in three pieces. The center piece has a high point that makes contact first and has "arms" extending from it that press downward on inner ends of the two outer pieces. This action in turn forces the outer ends of these pieces to press downward on the rubber pad, conforming the pad to the radius of the fingerboard. The outer pieces operate like fulcrums. Quite nicely engineered.

PTqBFVO.jpg

Thanks for those details. It all makes sense.

I like your custom version.

Hey Buc, A couple questions

I'm really stoked with the Texas Big Sky Hummingbird....... The blue one was very obviously the best sounding of the lot, had a very good neck set

Previously I have noted here that this effect was not worth the added weight and slightly more cumbersome operation of the G7th in a live situation......I've changed my mind with this Hummingbird.

1) Newbie question: how do you evaluate the quality of a neck set?

2) About how long does it take to take the capo off, once it's in place (just wondering interruption to a 3 song set)

Thanks - billroy

Hey Buc, A couple questions

Thanks - billroy

A good neck set to me is one that allows low action, but still has enough saddle left to give a good break angle at the saddle for the strings.

2) About how long does it take to take the capo off, once it's in place (just wondering interruption to a 3 song set)

The most accurate method is with a straight edge. Stood on its' edge on the frets, reaching to the bridge, it should strike a point very near or preferably right on or slightly above the top of the bridge (not the saddle). Without a nice straight edge at hand in a music store, I do the "eyeball method" - peer down the side edge of the fingerboard toward the bridge and continue that line with your eye to the bridge. Do it on both sides of the board. This shows a pretty good picture of the neck set on the fly, so to speak. After a strum or two on an instrument I am looking at, this is the first thing I do. Bad neck set? No buy.

The capo moves quickly enough. It's not like it's a laborious task, but the G7th is just a bit more finicky in its' placement and tightening than either the Elliot or the Kat. Not a big deal. If you feel the need to chatter continuously with an audience, there's your opportunity. Personally I don't mind a little silence from the stage now and then.

Edited by Buc McMaster

I thought that 2016 hbird vintage model you owned sounded really great, and was surprised when you unloaded it. I looked at the Southpaw website, and if this https://www.southpawguitars.com/gibson-left-handed-guitars/1285-gibson-hummingbird-true-vintage-used-no-warranty-call-to-order-713-667-5791.html is the same one you owned, seems a bit pricey for used.

That's not the one. Mine had considerable pick guard wear and was a Vintage, not a TV. Slightly different beast. And yes, that price is high for a used example.

If you watch after a couple of minutes of are t we great video , they do explain it

The top rubber is split into different parts and only bends when it hits the string

Our very own drathbun did a great review

Thanks BBG! Here is the YouTube video. If you FFW to 15:09 you'll see Nick Campling (inventor) demonstrate the ART system that is used on the Heritage and the Performance 3 capos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-phn1VIcFg&t=455s