Gibson Brands Forums

Marty Stuart

livemusic

I just thought I would mention this as it was that good. I saw Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives couple days ago in a 500 seat theater. I would say it's in the top 5 concerts of all time for me, maybe top 3. Nobody missed a lick and they were flat playing some licks! Vocals outstanding. The live sound was as good as I have ever heard, perfect! How in the world he made that Martin guitar sound that good is beyond me. That cat has to be top 5 mandolin players on the planet and his guitar playing is stellar, too. I guarantee if anyone who can get into trad country goes, they'll be impressed. He also plays quite a few rockers, rockabilly and also surf music so the electrics can shine. Don't miss if he's near. They tour extensively, certainly get around! He's not only uber talented but as natural as they come. The whole band was great. Catch the Marty Show on tv to get an idea.

When I was telling people who I was going to see, if they weren't sure who it was, I would say, "You know, the guy with the big hair and sparkly suits, married to Connie Smith, 17 years his senior."

He is very entertaining. And he still has good hair.

I saw him about 1-1/2 years ago. I’m a big fan of his. After the concert, my wife was too. I debated to get him to sign my HD40MS but decided not to. It’s modeled after the Hank Williams Martin he plays on stage with a little more deco. The whole gang (Connie and her band was also there) had tables setup afterwards to meet everyone.

If you've used up all the minor chords in your guitar, and want to let the guys you're playing with have some fun, the Marty Stuart version of I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome might get things going:

Fine Telecaster action, and you can get back some points from people with minimal rockabilly interest by letting them know the song is credited as being written by Bill Monroe and Hank Williams.

If you've used up all the minor chords in your guitar, and want to let the guys you're playing with have some fun, the Marty Stuart version of I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome might get things going:

Fine Telecaster action, and you can get back some points from people with minimal rockabilly interest by letting them know the song is credited as being written by Bill Monroe and Hank Williams.

There's some nice suits in that there video. Got to get me one of them. And some more hair. And a tele. And definitely some boots.

He has one Martin he got from Johnny Cash who got it from Hank Jr who inherited from his dad. His other Martin is his signature model which is based on the Hank. His mandolin is a Gibson. His tele is the original bender belonging to Clarence White. Of course he has a warehouse full of famous instruments all having a story attached to them. Plus he has access to all the instruments in the CM HOF

He is the real deal. I saw him open for Chris Stapleton last November. Wish it was the other way around. It was a Marty Party for sure.

I saw them on the same tour down in Houston - enjoyed Marty's set more but the whole show was hard to beat.

He is the real deal. I saw him open for Chris Stapleton last November. Wish it was the other way around. It was a Marty Party for sure.

I wouldn't walk across the street to see Chris Stapleton, but I'd walk several blocks to see Marty and Co.

Nothing against Chris, just nothing exceptional to me.

Marty Stuart and his band provided the backup for the Byrds Sweetheart 50th Anniversary Tour we saw last October. About as perfect a pairing as you are going to get. Amazing band and that drummer of Stuart's was one heck of a singer. Stuart's blazing mandolin solo on Petty's "Running Down a Dream" left the stage a pile of ashes.

Edited by zombywoof

I wouldn't walk across the street to see Chris Stapleton, but I'd walk several blocks to see Marty and Co.

Nothing against Chris, just nothing exceptional to me.

Wow, that is one of the most stunning comments I have ever read on a forum. You said "Nothing against Chris, just nothing exceptional to me." Nothing exceptional? Are you kidding? No, you aren't. Hmmm.

So, the fact that you said the above, that proves that you don't have anything "against" him personally. In the sphere that is mainstream country music... wow... I made this comment just a couple days ago to some friends... I said something along the lines of "I don't listen to the radio anymore (speaking mostly of contemporary country radio these days), makes me want to gag... but about every ten years, somebody comes along and gives a breath of fresh air. Chris Stapleton is one. The one before that was Jamey Johnson." Now, this comment was more about vocal ability and recording music that is somewhat stripped down and not over-produced and over-compressed and doesn't have a pop beat.

I am not slamming you, I am just saying I am shocked, you being a highly skilled musician. To me, Chris Stapleton is a freak of nature in the vocal department. And plays dang good guitar. You certainly have a right to say what you feel, it just surprises me.

Granted, I have seen similar comments on this forum, which is an ACOUSTIC guitar forum. I have seen comments that have surprised me before where if a song or artist that isn't "rootsy" or "acoustic" oriented, his music is branded as crap. Which means that all of the music I grew up on must be crap, lol. (pop/rock, top 40 radio of the 60s/70s)

And I also note that Marty Stuart's show is more full-band electrified with lots of jangly electric guitars than acoustic songs. Seems to me he made his money with electrified rockabilly, not playing mandolin.

Cheers!

Marty Stuart and his band provided the backup for the Byrds Sweetheart 50th Anniversary Tour we saw last October. About as perfect a pairing as you are going to get. Amazing band and that drummer of Stuart's was one heck of a singer. Stuart's blazing mandolin solo on Petty's "Running Down a Dream" left the stage a pile of ashes.

In last weekend's concert, Marty Stuart's SOLO rendition of "Orange Blossom Special" left the stage a pile of ashes. The venue was FILLED with sound and it came from one instrument -- that mandolin. Stunning. Impeccable timing, speed, clarity, tone, volume, perfection.

Wow, that is one of the most stunning comments I have ever read on a forum. You said "Nothing against Chris, just nothing exceptional to me." Nothing exceptional? Are you kidding? No, you aren't. Hmmm.

So, the fact that you said the above, that proves that you don't have anything "against" him personally. In the sphere that is mainstream country music... wow... I made this comment just a couple days ago to some friends... I said something along the lines of "I don't listen to the radio anymore (speaking mostly of contemporary country radio these days), makes me want to gag... but about every ten years, somebody comes along and gives a breath of fresh air. Chris Stapleton is one. The one before that was Jamey Johnson." Now, this comment was more about vocal ability and recording music that is somewhat stripped down and not over-produced and over-compressed and doesn't have a pop beat.

I am not slamming you, I am just saying I am shocked, you being a highly skilled musician. To me, Chris Stapleton is a freak of nature in the vocal department. And plays dang good guitar. You certainly have a right to say what you feel, it just surprises me.

Granted, I have seen similar comments on this forum, which is an ACOUSTIC guitar forum. I have seen comments that have surprised me before where if a song or artist that isn't "rootsy" or "acoustic" oriented, his music is branded as crap. Which means that all of the music I grew up on must be crap, lol. (pop/rock, top 40 radio of the 60s/70s)

And I also note that Marty Stuart's show is more full-band electrified with lots of jangly electric guitars than acoustic songs. Seems to me he made his money with electrified rockabilly, not playing mandolin.

Cheers!

Holy Cow.

I surely didn't mean to offend anyone.

I don't listen to ANY Pop Country unless it's by accident. At Rural King, at the Tractor store, etc. The only time I hear Chris Stapleton is when somebody has a radio on a Pop Country station. I am drawn to music that is heavy on the instrumentalist, and or independent roots type stuff. When I said I wouldn't walk across the street to see him I literally meant it. I don't know his music, don't know anything about him.

My apologies if anything else was insinuated.

Ben.

Holy Cow.

I don't listen to ANY Pop Country unless it's by accident. At Rural King, at the Tractor store, etc. The only time I hear Chris Stapleton is when somebody has a radio on a Pop Country station. I am drawn to music that is heavy on the instrumentalist, and or independent roots type stuff. When I said I wouldn't walk across the street to see him I literally meant it. I don't know his music, don't know anything about him.

Ben.

Ben has mentioned before what he listens to and likes, so I didn't take any offense to it. Chris Stapleton is behemoth with his musical/vocal talent. He has set country music on fire with his music. I didn't realize how may songs he wrote for other artist before deciding to go out on his own. I have every album he has produced so far.

Holy Cow.

Ben.

Ben, I think you should get the Traveler cd and see what you think. The guy is a monster talent and NOT like contemporary country bs pop crap. He's almost more bluesy than country but whatever he is, it is good. The only way I know about people like this is I will hear it on a jukebox played in honky tonks I play in. Young people turn me on to some new music that is the exception. And as I mentioned, he is in the same vein at Jamey Johnson was... a simply monster vocal talent. Plus plays fantastic guitar and writes dang good songs. He is an anomaly. And mainstream country music has even recognized it, imagine that!

Chris Stapleton is one of the few artists on planet Earth who could absolutely SLAY you (you'd love it) and anyone else if it's just him and an acoustic guitar. He is that rare and that talented. Jackson Browne can do it. They are light years apart in style but my, oh my, SOLO? They kill it. Another one is Dwight Yoakum. Also Travis Tritt can kill it solo. John Prine is one of my favorites, he might be the best story songwriter there is, but he will not send chills down my spine from sheer vocal artistry. Chris does. It's all good... I just admire your talent and was surprised that you, knowing what you play and write, would make that comment about Stapleton. Cheers! Lastly, you don't have to agree with me, lol. For instance, I'm probably the only person within 1,000 miles of here who does not love Reba McIntire. Great talent, yes, but I want to gag. Give mePatty Loveless. Everybody doesn't always agree with the masses. Doesn't make them wrong.

No love for Kenny Vaughn? Kenny is the "Poindexter" looking dude with the deadpan face making everyone else sound good. He knows every slick like and some of his own, from Traditional Country, to Punk. I have seen him play some pretty heavy stuff with guests on the MS show, and NEVER a grimace. He does it all with a straight face. Marty calls him his "guitar soulmate".

Kenny is my hero. Right up there with Steuart Smith. Both of them play really good stuff with a straight face. :)