Gibson Brands Forums

One Gibson and One Martin only

MorrisrownSal

I've never owned a Martin. I've played a few.

I prefer the shorter scale, simply have been playing them most of my life and makes slides more accurate. Hence my choices of a J-45 and a J-15.

I would say the Martin GPCPA4 I've had in my hands many times won't hold a candle to my J-15 and they were about the same price.

That's close to where I am already, with two J-50's and a D-15M. No question I would go for the J-50, but I'm not really very familiar with Martins, so I probably wouldn't pick the D-15 out of the whole line. I just got mine because it was cheap. :)

I suppose GAS can't ever be cured, but mine has been in remission for at least 4 years. Don't really want any more guitars, am more interested in learning to play what I have better.

I went SJ200 and D35. Because if I had to thin the herd to that extent, there would be no option but to move to Tennessee, rename my dog Geraldine and start drinking again, and those guitars are the correct equipment for that life.

I went SJ200 and D35. Because if I had to thin the herd to that extent, there would be no option but to move to Tennessee, rename my dog Geraldine and start drinking again, and those guitars are the correct equipment for that life.

I get that reference! :-)

D-28 and J-45 for me. Two icons, one rosewood one mahogany. Classics!

Lars

I get that reference! :-)

D-28 and J-45 for me. Two icons, one rosewood one mahogany. Classics!

Lars

That was my initial thought, but since I've never owned a D-28, I'm not sure how I would like it. I do have a 000-28, and it's a decent all-around guitar.

Tough choice, I hope not to have to get to the point of only 2 acoustics. But if I have to... An SJ200 Western Classic and a D18 for me. 1 rosewood and 1 mahogany, should cover it.

Edited by TomPhx

I have only one Martin, an HJ-38, so that was easy. Unable to choose between my '57 CW, '46 SJ, or '36 RSSD. Tilting toward the '57 CW.

Those mid/late 50's CW's are really good guitars, but they're pretty much the same in tone and playability as a J-45/50 from the same period.

Edited by j45nick

For Martin, Id pick my Sitka/Rosewood D-45.

That pick makes me forsake my Adi/Rosewood AJ and choose my Sitka/Maple J-200 for a Gibson.

Decisions, decisions. First-world problems.... (not talking about you: talking about all of us here.)

Edited by j45nick

Don't really know. I have never been much on planning guitar purchases. But, I am a fan of 1945 to early 1947 Martin dreads with the slight taper non-scalloped bracing so maybe a D-18 in that date range will eventually materialize. As far as Gibsons go, nothing much out there that gets my juices flowing on which I would be willing to fork over the scratch they bring. Barring running into a 1939 J35 with a price tag that even a cheapskate like me could not turn their back on, maybe a Jackson Browne Model 1 or one of the 2013 run of Banner LG-1 reissues.