Gibson Brands Forums

An old newbie beginner

billyb_imp

Just joined up today having just ordered a new Epiphone G-400 PRO SG Cherry, and only started to learn guitar about 3 weeks ago, being using an acoustic (Yamaha), slow going, sore finger tips, steep learning curve or seems so at the moment, likely now being in my mid 60’s doesn’t help but I am determined.

Hopefully once I have a few more skills to my name I will be able to try out the G-400 but for now or at least when it arrives it will look nice sat on a shelf in my practice room.

So, now time to start searching the site for more info & tips, I’m sure I will be back soon with a question or two.

Just joined up today having just ordered a new Epiphone G-400 PRO SG Cherry, and only started to learn guitar about 3 weeks ago, being using an acoustic (Yamaha), slow going, sore finger tips, steep learning curve or seems so at the moment, likely now being in my mid 60's doesn't help but I am determined.

Hopefully once I have a few more skills to my name I will be able to try out the G-400 but for now or at least when it arrives it will look nice sat on a shelf in my practice room.

So, now time to start searching the site for more info & tips, I'm sure I will be back soon with a question or two.

Welcome to the forum billy. msp_thumbup.gif Heh, you're never too old to learn and play. Great on you for doing so. I started at 13 and quit after I got married when I hit around 28 I guess and then picked it up again at 60 when I retired from the Railroad. Those finger tips get better once you build calluses and thats from lots of practice. Play or practice until you cant stand the pain anymore which may take an hour at first. Try to play longer each time you get the guitar out. Those finger tips will toughen up in no time. I practiced around 6 hours a day. Muscle memory will set in the fingers faster and chords and notes will become automatic without having to look to see where the hand goes. Acoustic guitars are a little rougher on the fingers than electrics. Its easier to do slides, bends and such on thinner strings. I think you're doing it right with the acoustic first as that's what I did learning many songs and practicing with my Fender acoustic first. Good luck and don't give up and you will be rewarded with playing good in no time.

Welcome aboard Bill. I didn’t start seriously playing guitar until I was 43 and bass until I was 45. I’m sure it has limited how well I will ultimately be able to play, but that’s fine. I have no desire to be a touring rock star at my age. [biggrin]

Enjoy the journey.

• 5 weeks later...