Gibson Brands Forums

hey all you smart gibson people

Gibson CS

ok here is the deal, i promised my dad i would stay in school and not run away to Hollywood, if he bought me a acoustic guitar

every acoustc is different (duh) but what do you guys think is best for me, i refer smaller bodies, low action, and softer, less defined tone

thanks everyone

By the way, none of the guitars you list in your poll really fit the requirements that you specified.

And just for the record, if you can exercise control over your dad by forcing him to buy you a guitar just to get your way, I think I would have let you go to Hollywood if you were my son. After all, most people who head off to find their dreams in Hollywood just end up waiting tables. You'd be back before long. [-X

ok here is the deal' date=' i promised my dad i would stay in school and not run away to Hollywood, if he bought me a acoustic guitar[/quote']

What does he have to get you if you promise to do well in school? I think I see a cash cow waiting to be milked here. . . .

On the other hand, I also agree with guitarstrummer: staying in school rather than running off to Hollywood is a no-brainer, my friend. I take it that you have not noticed how many people end up broke, homeless, or in the sex-trades when they drop out of school in order to "make it big" in Hollywood.

Ignatius

lol cash cow i am not, it was actually a very safe-non-risky situation, and i would only be gone for 1 semester of school, and im a pretty good student anyway but my musical future isnt really what i wanted to discuss ( though everyone knows that to make it takes alot-ALOT-ALOTof sacrafice ie sleep, money, food, showers, ect

but anyway back to my point, I like to songwriter deluxe, but im not going to spend that much (i have bought $7K worth of guitar gear on my own) i really like noncut away drednaughts, and the thing that i liked about all of them , was the ebony fretbord, the gibson had the best action i found, but i really liked the sound of the martin, it was dfferent from the other 2, couldnt put my fingure on it but it was different

anyway, , for what its worth, i was talking with tesla's drummer, and he was tellng me that it is a high risk -high reward situation, and the best advice he had to give was either "make it or die trying" or to not try @ all

My parents bought me a new Telecaster for h.s graduation. I'm not sure what they bought the school dept for putting up with me but I'm sure it wasn't worth it for them. They insisted I keep it polished up nice so I'd get a better price at the pawn shop when I lost my job. The body is northern ash so it has a better chance of absorbing the energy of a bullet. It's also rugged enough so I could wield it as a weapon Keef-style if necessary.

anyway' date=' , for what its worth, i was talking with tesla's drummer, and he was tellng me that it is a high risk -high reward situation, and the best advice he had to give was either "make it or die trying" or to not try @ all[/quote']

That's what you get for listenting to a "drummer". [-X

lol cash cow i am not' date=' it was actually a very safe-non-risky situation, and i would only be gone for 1 semester of school, and im a pretty good student anyway but my musical future isnt really what i wanted to discuss[/quote']

Actually, Jesse, you missed my point entirely. I was saying that if your dad is willing to buy you a guitar to get you to stay in school, why don't you make him a counter-offer that works better for both of you: ask him to make the gear pot bigger the longer you stay in school and do well! He is the "cash cow" in my previous post, not you.

Let's face it: you won't accomplish anything in one semester musically out in Hollywood that you couldn't accomplish while in school. As someone who teaches in a university for a living, I can't even count how many middle-aged parents or waitresses I meet who tell me their biggest regret is dropping out of college. Everyone says it will only be one semester, but trust me on this: only a very few dedicated people ever go back, and often it is years and years later after all the other stuff fell apart. And school only gets harder and harder the longer you take to get it finished.

And more to your point, I also know from studying the history of rock music that many of the great rock bands arose from people meeting bandmates in college/art school/vocational college--in other words, in school!--and then working their way up in the industry by playing in local bars and campus gigs related to college. They only dropped out of college when the gigging together already proved they had the musical chops to make it. College is one of the best music scenes for up-and-coming musicians, hands down. Where do local indie bands find their audiences? In college settings. Where do indie bands get their demos played? On college radio stations.

And the great musicians almost always made it with the second-tier or even crap instruments they already had. Most of the great blues guitarists played on mail-order guitars from Sears until they made it big in the '60s blues revival. A great guitar can take you places down the road, but if your avatar is any indication, you already have great guitars. If you need an acoustic, get a good one now (no need for a great one), and bust your chops with a local band. Then, when the good grades start rolling in, your dad can kick in more money and you can get the great guitar you've been dreaming of. And you'll have a better idea in a couple years of what you really should have as a guitar anyway. I almost always regret buying guitars too quickly and trusting things like friends' opinions, rather than what my ears hear and know. And if your ears can't tell yet, you can wait and learn and get your ears up to speed.

Ignatius

good points everyone good points

right now i have ths acoustic , it is a jasmine by talkmne, and it is a good guitar in the sense that it IS a guitar and that it was 100 bucks new, it dosent matter to me the company that makes it, though it is nice to have a good reputation behind it

really my acoustic, the action is HIGH the sound dosent resonate loudly, it has a crack in the top, i guess im expecting too much from a plywood guitar, the main difference between all the acoustics i played was the wood combo (sitka, roosewood, mahogany) all of the guitars had ebony fretbords, which i love, the gibson came with grover rotomatics (big plus i think) and had the lowest action.

im still trying to find some help to my question of which guitars u guys like the best

but i dont like the j-45s or the southern jumbos

i being a teenager myself won't yell at you. i would HIGHLY recommend the songwriter but for your needs right now there is a green tag sale for the gibson artist hummingbird it won't show up on the website (last time i checked at least) for 1599 but if you are on their mailing list you can get 10% off on top of that. for your sound needs i think a mahogany hummingbird would suit your needs wonderfully. the artist has a songwriter sized dread body (smaller than the other more expensive hummingbirds). i am currently saving up for an acoustic also since my 100 dollar acoustic broke on me and the hummingbird artist is my second pick after the songwriter special (it's a black cutaway and cheaper than the deluxe. see my avatar for a pic). i would recommend the special if it weren't for you dislike of cutaways (that the major reason for me choosing it over the HA).

any more questions just ask. btw good luck with anything you decide to do. you seem like a good player and seem to really enjoy music. i thinks that's about it. good luck!

hey thanks man

the other guitarist @ our church has a songwriter delux, and he had the brdge shaved and that i thought was awesome

yea, i dont like the way a cut away looks, ill deal with playing hgh frets w/out it

as for LA/hollywood, why does everyone have to chime in???

i mean i know what im getting into here, im not the dumb, ignorant, "dirty faced kid in a garabge can".............

yet hahaha

DEAD OR ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, DEAD OR ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ok ere is a good one for yall to answer, ceck out my ne topic

Howsa 'bout a Larrivee OM-03?

The body size is small (it is the same size as the Martin Eric Clapton models, which are based on the Martin he played in his MTV Unplugged set). The Larrivee has a great gentle sound that works for both strumming and picking and is all solid-woods (including an ebony fingerboard) with great, low action. The 03 series is a satin finish, made in Canada, and can be bought new for less than $900, yet they look like they cost a lot more (even these inexpensive models have actual wood binding around the body and real, non-decal inlays around the soundhole and on the peghead). I was looking at Martins and Gibsons, tried the Larrivee and knew that I had found enough guitar to get me to the next level in terms of acoustic playing. Many Martin players sing the praises of Larrivees as well.

I think the point arising from your poll (and the answers about Hollywood) is that most players are thinking you need to broaden the range of guitars you are looking at, given the sort of sound you say you want.

Ignatius

Try the 00018 for smaller body size, eric clapton, john mayer style. The D18 has quite a dark boomy tone compared the the bright sounding Taylor. I have both of those guitars in stock where I work and am familiar with their tones, so personally, id go with the Martin 00018.

If you can, have someone else play the guitar, and stand back so you can hear what others will hear when you play. Thats another way of deciding, I always get my customers to listen from another perspective instead of the guitar directly below you as you play it.

If you can' date=' have someone else play the guitar, and stand back so you can hear what others will hear when you play. Thats another way of deciding, I always get my customers to listen from another perspective instead of the guitar directly below you as you play it.[/quote']

that's a good idea. too bad i don't know anyone else who plays.

Acoustic is all about the sound I think out of the listed guitars the 18 fits the bill best it is a nice feel for an electric player I had to work my way back to Acoustic after years of playing mostly electric I had a Traveling songwriter for a while that played just like and electric but sadly sounded to close to a taylor T-5 or something unplugged. My favorite Gibby is a J-185 but the Martin d-18 is nice and Guild have a great sound also.

No advice from me on Hollywood do what you have to. It took me several extra years to get through school playing in bands and livin in bars you'll get through it.

Based on your description, I would encourage you to try a Martin OM-21. The D-18 in your poll is a mahogany body on a regular dreadnaught - it is explosive, but also brittle and has a forward presence. Conversely, an OM-21 gives you subtle resonance and a more refined tonal pallette.

Based on your description' date=' I would encourage you to try a Martin OM-21. The D-18 in your poll is a mahogany body on a regular dreadnaught - it is explosive, but also brittle and has a forward presence. Conversely, an OM-21 gives you subtle resonance and a more refined tonal pallette.[/quote']

dude i will def look into that

Archived