Gibson Brands Forums

Gold coat of the pickup is coming out.

kiliman22

Hi,

I have a vintage Gibson 345 Stereo from the sixties.

The gold coat of the neck pickup is coming out as you can see in the picture.

What do you think I should do? Just let it as it is? Or would you do something about it?

Many thanks for your advises!

Cheers

IMG_0929.jpg

That is normal wear. Is it the neck pickup? It looks like it was caused by heavy picking. Any gold cover will eventually lose the finish over time. If you replace the cover you might reduce potential future value, even if you save the original. Something vintage guitar collectors look at is the solder joint between the cover and pickup to see if it has been broken. So that might reduce it's future value a bit, if you toss the original cover out, it will reduce it. Marks like that show that the guitar was loved and played. The only possible problem thing that I see is that the edges of the plating look to be flaking or lifting, and that could remove more of the plating. To halt or slow that (if it is flaking off) you should lightly sand the edges of the area with very fine sandpaper 1000 grit or finer to remove the lifted edges, and smooth the edges of the existing plating so that it doesn't get caught and lifted anymore. You only need to go over the very edges of the 'bald spot'. Or you can leave it and let it do what ever it is going to do naturally. It isn't hurting anything or affecting tone, besides it gives the guitar some mojo. Can you post a pic of the whole guitar, I would love to see it.

Archived