Gibson Brands Forums

Capo in tune.

fretplay

Capo in tune.

Can members help me with an in tune ( or an out of tune) problem.

I have a Gibson Cascade, great guitar but when played with a capo it sounds, and is out of tune.

When I check it with a tuner the notes are not correct, for example if I use capo two all the strings are sharp, not by much but enough to put me out with fellow players. If I use a finger on the second fret the note reads fine with the tuner, with a capo it is sharp.

I have checked the capo with my Martin 00016 and that is fine, same note with capo, same note with a finger.

Could this have something to do with the fact that the Gibson is a short scale guitar and the Martin a full scale guitar? I can't think so as note is a note.

The Gibson Cascade with mable back and sides are not made now but give powerful volume and are very light in weight.

I would be interested to hear from fellow members and hopefully Gibson Cascade owners.

This is the reason I use Shubb capos when perfoming.

But there are some things you can do to improve performance.

One is to put the capo as close to the fret as possible, so it doesn't pull any more on the string than necessary.

Another is to make sure your action isn't too high. The higher the action, the more it has to pull the string down.

Finally, lighter strings will pull out of tune easier than heavier strings.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply.

I am using a ratchette type capo, I perfer them because they are light. I have used the same capo on my Martin 000 and Gibson J45 same strings both in tune. On the Cascade same strings and capo all notes sharp. The only different with the Cascade is that the action is a little higher. It must be something to do with the guitar

The only different with the Cascade is that the action is a little higher.

The higher the action, the more adding a capo will throw off the intonation. That may be all there is to it. I've noticed that a lot of players who favor a Gibson-factory standard (or higher) action re-tune after putting one on, even those who use a relatively low-pressure capo like the Shubb.

-- Bob R

If your guitar has a compensated saddle it can also be thrown out with a capo as the amount of compensation is usually determined for full string length. In this case, a slight retune after placing the capo should get things more or less on.

If the guitar is in tune when you fret a note with your finger, and out of tune when you use a capo.. then....

1. You're not using the capo correctly

2. See one (1)

Most likely you have a 'death grip' on the fretboard. Keep the capo as loose as possible. This is most likely the reason, based on your description. (if the action was high, intonation would be off when you fret notes with your fingers as well as a capo.)

Your frets on other guitars might also be lower than on the Gibson--you can get away with cranking that baby on tight if you have low frets.

Good Luck!

Archived