Gibson Brands Forums

Had a New Gibson L4-A for 9 months {Great Guitar} any comments?

spanishoaknc

Good Day to Everybody from: spanishoaknc :-

I've had a Gibson L4-A for 9 months now and its a great sounding guitar with or without amp. Plays great and is setup nice. I use it alot when I play for larger crowds and use my Hummingbird for smaller gigs {nursing homes,etc.}

I would like to here from some players about whan they think about their L4-A's. I have read some reviews on it but thought I would just toss this question out to you all. Do you like this model? Pro's and Con's?

It works great for me but would like to here from my friends in this forum. I don't write much but love to hear and learn about your knowledge. I've been playing guitar for years, but a old dog can learn new tricks of the trade if you listen and learn.

Thanks Everybody and God Bless from spanishoaknc

th_63Hummingbird08L4-A.jpg

The pickup and preamp work well with the Genz Benz amp I use. It does use the battery up faster than I would like. about every three or four weeks I have to pop a new one in.

Thanks for the note, Space Pup

God Bless - spanishoaknc

I have never heard of an L4 A before. It looks great and to me it looks a bit like a J185 but obviously its different.

I have an L4 CES Mahogony. Given my L4 has f holes, I'm not clear on what Gibson is trying to do with the L4 A. I'm happy to hear your comments to help me understand how it fits into the Gibson Acoustic range.

I have never heard of an L4 A before. It looks great and to me it looks a bit like a J185 but obviously its different.

I have an L4 CES Mahogony. Given my L4 has f holes' date=' I'm not clear on what Gibson is trying to do with the L4 A. I'm happy to hear your comments to help me understand how it fits into the Gibson Acoustic range. [/quote']

The L4-A does look like a "plain" rosewood version of the J-185 EC, not sure if the measurements and bracing are the same.

I have no idea how the L4-A relates to the older archtop L4's either.

From what I can gather its the same bracing and all it has dot inlays and the new bridge that looks sharp. Its true it looks alot like a J-185 EC or J-165 EC. The Gibson Icon and Logo is like the J-165 EC. At first I was thinking it was replacing the J-165. Then I read an article that the J-165 and the L4-A EC are no longer made. So the L4-A might be made from J-165 parts? Maybe? Just Thinking!

What ever the deal the L4-A EC is well made and had the same Gibson craftsmanship in it. I'm sure it will last for years. If it is no longer made maybe it will hold its value longer and become a collectors item. {dream-dream}

Thank You all for the information / God Bless - spanishoaknc [-o<

PS: AClayton, The only thing I see is there is nothing the same about an L-4 and a L-4A EC. {I'm like you about Why Gibson come up with this Guitar [ L4-A ] it just brings up question marks in my head.} You're Guitar is a Classic, thats for sure. This maybe one day.

Good Day to You - spanishoaknc

• 8 years later...

I bought a used 2007 Gibson L-4A EC Rosewood a year and a half ago. I love it.

After playing a fiend's Blues King Electro, I started looking for a similar guitar. I took my time and considered quite a few.

For me it is the scale & neck profile that got me hooked. 24.75" scale is more comfortable for me. The neck is narrow for my hand and fatigue is minimal. The electronics are more than adequate - it sounds great plugged into anything. The cutaway is nice for some of the songs I play. The tone is very rich unplugged. A little smaller body than a dreadnaught.

It inspires me to play daily.

Archived